What's new

Frank Miller's Sin City Recut & Extended (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
For those curious about the cover, the little 'band' at the bottom (detailing the contents) is in fact removable. I'm going to describe this the best I can. It's actually a little 'half box' that the DVD case sits into. Oddly enough, the little band is actually the entire artwork for the cover (as in the red colored characters). That's all one piece. It appears that the actual cover will be blank save for the title, which is raised and metallic looking.

You would think that covers for comic book movies would be the best... :confused:

The price tag on it was about $32.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I received this yesterday. I have watched all the extras on disc two. I haven't watched the recut extended stuff yet, but I will do so tomorrow. So far the extras I have watched impressed and this might be the best special edition of the year.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
John Alderson the original cut is included in this release so buying the first disc used is a waste of money.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Yep, the original cut is included on the recut edition. I'm currently listening to the first theatrical audio commentary with RR and Frank Miller.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I might have missed it, but does the Extended cut have DTS sound? And by that I mean the "Extended Version". I know that the "Theatrical Version" has DTS.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I'm excited about this, especially for the commentary with Robert, Frank and Quentin. Robert has always had some of the best commentaries, you learn a lot from his stuff. Which is good if you want to get into film making. Quentin and Robert had fun it seemed on the commentary for From Dusk Till Dawn. They're both film geeks and it shows.
I love this movie, it was so well shot and ect. I bought the first disk just to get my fix. And I will gladly double dip.
Now for the Kill Bill SE's.
And I'm eggerly awaiting more info on Grind House.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
is the comic thats included dvd sized?
and how's the video quality of the theatrical version compare to the barebones version?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
*** edit ***

Just realized I need to AB against disc 2! It was late when I pulled this out so I compared disc 1 against the original release (which is 100% identical in both picture and sound to the original). Have to compare now against the 2nd disc extended version!

:b

-dave

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Link Removed has a review for the new special edition dvd of sin city.

JACOB

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

That's a good thing to me. They didn't just dump every scene back into the movie for no reason other than to increase the running time, they used footage that would actually improve the movie.

It seems like the extras are the main selling point. Or at least they should be. :)

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Not a good thing to me. Alot of little things were left out and I was hoping to see them. And yes, they would have improved the movie.

And it's ironic comparing what you say to what they actually did. They DID increase the running time just to make it look like there is extra footage. And it is very deceitful.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Should they put every single scene back into the movie even if many of those scenes didn't work like they wanted or slow the movie down? I don't see the logic in putting all the scenes shot back in the movie if they end up hurting the movie and apparently Robert Rodriguez must share the same point of view.

What I meant by my above statement about increasing the run time is that Rodriguez added footage that he felt helped the movie, he didn't take everything that was shot because making it 20 minutes would be better than making it 4 minutes longer. He put back what he wanted to see in the movie.

Beau

Supporting Actor
That's a little dissapointing that it's only 4 minutes of extra fottage. It was really the reason I was gonna buy it. I agree they shouldn't just put every scene back in, but saying what they said was just deceptive, and I'm really glad I found out now so I wouldn't be dissapointed when watching the DVD. I'll buy it anyways, though. I can't say no to even 4 minutes. Also the first DVD didn't have that kick-ass trailer.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

I do agree with that, assuming the accuracy of the reports about most of the advertised extra footage being credit sequences. The LOTR EEs certainly didn't include the big long fan club credits whenever the amount of extra footage was mentioned.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Oh, there's DEFINITELY audio issues on the original disc. Try listening with good headphones to easily hear it. A subtle clicking background noise kinda sound that periodically pops up. Sounds like a digital artifact from a noise reduction gate set a bit high. (I do home recording and have run into the EXACT same sounding thing)
From another forum's member's 2 cents who own both discs it is more like seven minutes of new footage. Still...
While this DVD might be a great set altogether I just really feel that the marketing gimmick is very unethical. I just watched the little flash ad here on this site and they are really touting, "Over 20 minutes of Additional Footage!" and to me that's just hella lame. It really takes away from what might be a great set. Why mislead us? And the average consumer doesn't go for this kind of double dip, ("Look honey, a resized copy of the graphic novel! Woo-hoo!") we, the geeks usually do. And we're usually a bit savvy so we discover this. I'd love to hear RR's comments especially after supposedly saying what he supposedly said re: the amount of footage. I would LOVE it if Ebert, Maltin or even EW made some comment on this retarded marketing trend. BADDER SANTA! UNRATED etc..... If Ebert said something like, "You know I admired Sin City but felt it needed a bit more fleshing out story-wise so when I heard there would be an extended cut with over 20 minutes of additional footage I was intruiged. Well, it turns out that only seven minutes in the new version just released on DVD is actual footage and the remaining 16 minutes that was newly added is just additional credits! It's indicative of a somewhat new and very misleading trend that studios are using to basically sell another version of a film on DVD to the fans. And even if you do want this version you can't just buy it separately, it is only available in a set with a mini graphic novel included which jacks up the cost of the set. hey, some of us just want to buy the film too..."

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Could you give me an exact scene to check out where the audio issue takes place? I'd like to A/B the old and new version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks