What's new

Frank Miller's Sin City Recut & Extended (1 Viewer)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I did buy the first release and only feel slightly burned because I figured this was going to be another "Kill Bill" incident, where we were promised about 9 different versions it seemed. I put off buying those movies for a couple of months before finally giving up on any hopes of an SE. I figured this new Sin City wouldn't be released until the next theatrical film.

I'll happily double-dip, though. Like others, I am not too familiar with "Sin City" (I'm more of a Marvel/DC guy), and am looking forward to the graphic novel. I'm sure I can find someone who will enjoy the first DVD well enough.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

The screenplay for "RoboCop 2"...:b

They really botched that one at the studio. That is why Miller was skeptical of Rodriguez. Fortunately we all know how that turned out. ;)

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
The Essential Sin City Collection For Fans!

Sin City

Recut & Extended

All-New Collector's Special Edition DVD

Available December 13th - Just In Time For The Holidays!

Featuring Extended, Unrated Version of the Film

with Never-Before-Seen Footage, Plus Hours of Bonus Materials

Overseen By Director Robert Rodriguez

Burbank, CA (September 9, 2005) - Bursting off the pages of the famed comic book, Frank Miller's Sin City became one of this year's most stylish, hip and creative films. Now fans will get to take another trip to the dark edge of Old Town with the much-anticipated SIN CITY RECUT & EXTENDED, the complete and expanded unrated version of the film with never-before-seen footage integrated directly into the feature by director Robert Rodriguez. This essential two-disc DVD will be presented in ultra-stylish packaging, hours of all-new bonus materials supervised directly by Rodriguez showing how this unique film was brought to life, plus the complete first issue of Frank Miller's Sin City graphic novel. This year's must-have gift for the holidays, SIN CITY RECUT & EXTENDED will be available on two-disc DVD on December 13th for $39.99 SRP from Dimension Home Video.

Robert Rodriguez ("Desperado," "From Dusk Till Dawn," "The Faculty") and comics idol Frank Miller co-direct FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY, based on a series of graphic novels created by Miller, highlighted by a special segment from guest director Quentin Tarantino ("Pulp Fiction," "Kill Bill" series). Sin City is infested with criminals, crooked cops and sexy dames, some searching for vengeance, some for redemption. Visually-stunning, the film has been translated from page to screen by remaining absolutely faithful to the look, feel and dialogue of the books.

DISC ONE

• Original Feature Film Presentation

• Feature Commentary with Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller

• Feature Commentary with Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino

• Feature Commentary of Austin Premiere Audience Reaction

• Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes

--A Hard Top With A Decent Engine: The Cars of Sin City
--Making the Monsters: Special Effects & Make-Up
--Trench Coats and Fishnets: The Costumes of Sin City
--Booze, Broads & Guns: The Props of Sin City
--How It Went Down: Convincing Frank Miller to Make The Film
--Giving The Characters Life: Casting the Film
--Special Guest Director, Quentin Tarantino

• Sin-Chroni-City Interactive: As the viewer watches Sin City, it becomes apparent that the characters and their stories are not isolated, but intertwined. It is also revealed that the timelines for these stories are not in synch - and yet not entirely independent. This interactive feature allows the user to get a timeline view of the happenings of Sin City. The user can see the overview schematic of the scenes in chronological order and then zoom in for more detail on any of the events.

• Teaser and Theatrical Trailers

DISC TWO

• Sin City Recut Extended Unrated Feature Film Presentation (with 23 added minutes) Full-length expanded cuts of each individual episode ("Customer Is Always Right," "The Hard Goodbye," "Big Fat Kill"and "That Yellow Bastard") split out into short films - each with their own title cards and in their own complete form; viewers can watch separately and in any order desired.

• 15 Minute Flick School - Showing how everything was done, including the development of the look of the movie before there was financing, plus early screen tests, rehearsal tapes, final effects. Narrated and cut by Robert Rodriguez.

• All Green Version - A high speed look at the entire movie with only its green screen elements.

• The Long Take - A full uninterrupted 17 minute take during the filming of Quentin's segment. Audience gets to see what it's like to sit in the middle of a whirlwind of creativity while the camera is rolling. They never call cut, so everyone is concentrating, working, experimenting and being creative for 17 minutes straight. Very interesting to watch, and hear everyone brainstorming and improvising. Clive, Nicotero, Rodriguez, Tarantino, and Del Toro, Stevie J, all doing their thing at one point or another.

• Sin City: Live in Concert - Sin City filmmakers, cast and crew head over to Antone's restaurant one night after shooting "That Yellow Bastard" so Bruce Willis' and Robert's band Chingon could play a benefit show. Shows the full version of Bruce and his band playing the song "Devil Woman" and Rodriguez and his band playing the "Theme from Sin City."

• 10 Minute Cooking School: Sin City Breakfast Tacos - Rodriguez's meal of choice during the long night hours of making Sin City. Shows how to make Rodriguez's grandma's secret homemade flour tortilla recipe as well.

FRANK MILLER'S SIN CITY stars Bruce Willis ("Hostage") as Hartigan, a cop with a bum ticker and a vow to protect exotic dancer Nancy (Jessica Alba, TV's "Dark Angel"). Mickey Rourke ("Man On Fire") stars as Marv, the outcast misanthrope on a mission to avenge the death of his one true love, Goldie (Jaime King, "White Chicks"). Clive Owen ("Closer") stars as Dwight, the clandestine love of Shelley (Brittany Murphy, "Little Black Book,"8 Mile"), who spends his night defending Gail (Rosario Dawson, "Alexander") and her Old Towne girls (Devon Aoki, "2 Fast 2 Furious") and Alexis Bledel (TV's "Gilmore Girls") from Jackie (Benicio Del Toro, "21 Grams"), a tough guy with a penchant for violence. Elijah Wood ("Lord of the Rings" series), Nick Stahl ("Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines"), Michael Madsen ("Kill Bill Vol. 2"), Carla Gugino (TV's "Karen Sisco"), Powers Boothe ("Deadwood"), Rutger Hauer ("Batman Begins"), Josh Hartnett ("Pearl Harbor") and Michael Clarke Duncan ("Daredevil") are also part of the ensemble cast. Based on the graphic novels by Frank Miller. Directed by Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez ("From Dusk Till Dawn," "Spy Kids").

Street Date: December 13, 2005
Direct prebook: October 18
Distributor prebook: November 1
Suggested retail price: $39.99 (DVD)
Rated: Not Rated
Original Feature running time: Approximately 124 minutes
Recut Feature running time: Approximately 147 minutes
DVD aspect ratio: 1.85:1 enhanced for 16x9 TV screens
DVD Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
DTS 5.1 Surround Sound (Original Feature Only)
DVD Language: English

Dimension Home Entertainment is distributed by Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc., a recognized industry leader. Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc. is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax, Dimension and Buena Vista videocassettes and DVDs.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I wonder if all the added goodness to the original theatrical cut disc will impact the video at all, meaning those of us who are picky will need to hold onto the original discs for that "superbit" type presentation... ;)

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
So I am confused.
Is dts audio only on the theatrical cut? I've heard yes and no on various websites.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I'm not usually a fan of extended cuts but I think this one will be perfect. I saw Sin City again recently and liked it a great deal more, but I wanted to see more of what was missing from the books. We'll get to see Marv get 'Gladys' and hear Dwight's speech about how Leonidas inspired the strategy he uses towards the end of the film. Can't wait!

But I wonder if:

they'll change the ending back to where Becky simply dies within the hail of bullets instead of being killed by the Hartnett's character.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Wow I just saw this film last night, It rocked hard, definately adding this DVD to the WANTED list.

EmmaAU

Agent
I saw "Sin City" for the first time the other night, and not being familiar with Frank Miller's work, was not prepared for what it would be like. It totally blew my mind...I was stunned. I don't think I'll ever be quite the same...I was horrified and amused at the same time...I feel kind of guilty for enjoying it...:).

So the extended, recut dvd set will have both the original version and the recut version? Amazon.com wasn't too clear on that, they list the running time at 147 min. and with both versions it would have to be about twice that.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
So glad I didn't buy the bare bones DVD. Can't wait to get this. Now if only QT would hurry up with those Kill Bill Special Edition's.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds way worth getting and exactly why I was never interested in the barebones DVD (I saw it in the movies for that!).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I bought the first release and will buy the Recut & Extended DVD as well. The barebones disc will go up for sale. The few dollars I'll lose on the transaction will be a small price to pay for having Sin City available in my HT for the last couple of months.

SvenL

Auditioning

4 new minutes + 19 extra minutes of end credits?
:angry:

I can't post the link to where I've found this information, but the group who did the DVDrip claims that if you cut the three extra end credits and combine all four parts they only add up to 128 minutes.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm a little shocked by the price of 2-disc releases lately.

I passed on the 1st release because it was a rental, but I'm not paying $30+ for one movie.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
It will most likely be cheaper on release day. These companies should offer some kind of rebate/discount of some kind for DDing. I remember getting a rebate for "Windtalkers" when I bought the 3 disc set since I already had the first release but this is for another thread I'm sure. Throw us a bone here!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks