What's new

FP in the 3 to 4k? (1 Viewer)

BrianKR

Second Unit
I am looking to purchase a FP for my HT room.
I was leaning towards buying the NEC 1000 but I decided 4:3 isn't going to cut it for me. What is a comparable 16:9 FP in the same price range that will give me the same or better clarity and colors that the NEC will?
I don't have a preference between LCD or DLP.
Throw distance 12 to 14ft, looking to buy a 96 to 110inch 'wide' screen depending on the FP I choose.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

Check out the Sony VPL HS10. Retails for $2995 and can be had for around $2500-$2600. Incredible picture for the money with no screen door effect. Native resolution is 16:9. Take a look and you will be pretty surprised at the picture quality.

BrianKR

Second Unit
I was looking at the HS10 but I don't think it will work for me. It has a longer throw range then I was hoping for and some complain about the fan noise and black level. I want to do my best to get a quiet unit, hopefully no rainbows and little to no screendoor effects if possible.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
if you get the HT1000 now, they have a rebate offer of either $500 back or an anamorphic lens.
the lens will effctivley turn the pj into a 16:9 projector

light spill on this pj is very minimal.
you are going to be hard pressed to find a dlp in the under $4K range of this quality.
the only other ones remotely close use the matterhorn chip, which has the same resolution as the 16:9 panel of the XGAs - so with the use of an anamorphic lens you are actually getting greater resolution than the matterhorn 16:9 projectors.

otherwise, i suspect it will be after January at the earliest, and probably spring, before we see prices closer to $4K on any of the HD2s (1280 x 720).

(i just sold off my pj yesterday so i need one now as well.
it's most likely going to be the HT1000 which i've already seen- just waiting to see what the MSRP is going to be on the 1100 first)

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
One other possibility is the new Infocus 5700. It uses the new Matterhorn (16x9) chip and is meant to be a direct competitor to the HT1000.

There is also the HT1100 that is 'possibly' to be unvieled at CEDIA in early September. Word is that it will be the 16x9 successor to the HT1000.

RG

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
At that price range, I would consider the following...

- Sanyo PLV 70
- Infocus HT1000
- Sony HS10

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks