What's new
World Wide Stereo

FP DVDs only - X1 or other? (1 Viewer)

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I am still searching. Though I don't post often some of you may remember a few of my past posts concerning a new TV.

I was recently at ABT Electronics in Chicago. A huge store. Unfortunatly not much better than Best Buy. However they did have a couple FPs set up which pretty much sold me on the format. UNfortunately they didnt have any of the lower cost FPs running. The cheapest was a Samsung DLP that ran around $8000.

I am tempted by the InFocus X1. The reviews seem good. I am a little concerned about the brightness levels as I am definitely a fan of bright high contrast pictures. I am not sure I could learn to like the "cinema" modes.

I realize that the X1 is also only SVGA. My questions is: Since I plan on using the projector exclusively for DVD content (I will keep my 27 trinitron for cable) need I be concerned about the resolution? Isnt SVGA capable of outputting more info than a DVD contains anyway? I am obviously a bit cloudy on resolution.

Finally, should I be looking at anytign else in this price range?

Fr. John

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
According to most people, the X1 is a fine projector for DVD's. The bigger issue tends to be ambient lighting control and screen size (& material).

The SVGA native resolution of the X1 is not enough to fully resolve DVD resolutions, but it's very very close.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well the X1 is not true 16:9 it is 4:3 native. So when watching in 16:9 mode you will have gray/black bars top and bottom of picture. I am not saying the X1 is bad or anything. I demoed it and it can produce a wonderful picture. I just think that I want something that is 16:9 native.

If you want true 16:9 you could get the Panny 200(same price as X1) or the sanyo plv-z1/Matinee 1HD about $200 more. I think if it is mainly for DVD's and widescreen dvd's then look into either the Panny or Sanyo.

If you go to my link below I have a comparison on all 3 projectors....

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Well, in fact I did forget about 16:9 which is a must for me since I watch 99% anamorphic widescreen. So I guess the X1 is out.

As for room size, light and screen. Haven't put much thought into the screen yet but am favoring a pull down. As for ambient light, I will only be using the screen after dark so it shouldnt be a problem.

I am still foggy on resolution. It was my understaning that DVDs display at 480 horizontal lines and that SVGA displays at 600 horizontal lines. What am I missing? Why won;t the DVD resolve fully with the X1? I am guessing that I am misunderstanding the relationship or terminology between resolutions.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Father ...

Do NOT rule out the X1 due to lack of 16:9. I LOVE this unit and, like you, my usage is almost 100% anamorphic DVD's.

If you say you are looking for high contrast .. .trust me, you will be very happy with the X1 ... cinema mode or otherwise. Last night I watched Lion King with the family and was [once again] ASTOUNDED by the performance of the X1.

I am using a 16:9 DIY fixed screen and the image perfectly fits the screen (96" diagonal). Thus, the "black bars" fall off the top & bottom of the screen and fall on the wall behind .... I don't even see them when the movie is playing.

You definitely need to auditon the X1 in a darkened room.

Scott

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
You're pretty close to a correct understanding for DVD resolutions.

A DVD has a resolution of 720x480, however, (and this an important distinction), this is in a 16:9 format. Because of this, the "pixels" are not square.

When you display a DVD on a square pixel fixed pixel device, like a digital front projector, you need to adjust for that.

480 * 16 / 9 = 853.333

Thus, you need a minimum of 854x480 or so to fully resolve DVD resolutions on a digital front projector.

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
OK I am now convinced that I have to wait. Part of this is from another thread but since it relates to my ideas here I am resposting here.

With technology (especially pricing) chaning so fast I have decided to get a lower priced Sony. I am concerned about buying an analog set now and having it be obsolete in a couple years. Or am I misunderstaning HD ready?

Also, thanks to Sony's pitiful web site I cannot determine the difference between these sets:

Sony KV-32FS100
Sony KV-32FS200
Sony KV-32FV310
Sony KV-32FV300
Sony KV-32FS210

Thank again.

DavidLM

Agent
The X1 also has a top of the line deinterlacer from faloudja which is being phased out in the X2. You can demo the X1 for free for 14 days from infocus as well. Just dont ship it back late.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Nope,,,,
I just signed up using my companys name for all they care you could make up a name and have it be your address......
I just used my company / address to make it easier.....but I am sure you can put anything in there and I am sure they know people are doing this.....

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
have a look at the panny l300 at viusalapex.com for $1699. I have one and it really is a nice projector. There are plenty of reviews to support that.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
When I bought my X1 9 months ago, my g/f and said that we would only use it for watching DVDs to save on the bulb life. Now it is sitting in our living (replacing a 57" Samsung HDTV) room and used for digital cable/hdtv viewing as well. Buy it.

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know where people get numbers like "20% are suseptible to rainbows". "Common knowledge" was 10% last year though nobody knows of any study of any kind ever done on the subject. The new 20% figure is probably just a nod to how ludicrous the 10% figure was.

I personally got a splitting headache watching a Sharp 9000 a while back, which has a faster color wheel and is a much more high end projector than the X1. However seeing the higher resolution and color wheeled Mustang 2 DLPs like the Runco gave me no problems at all.

I didn't notice any rainbows either time, but the eye fatigue and headache from the 9000 were quite severe. If you can get the X1 with a return window and no restocking fee, give it a try. If not be very careful to demo one before you buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mayrel2015
Recent bookmarks