What's new

Budget FP advice (1 Viewer)

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
Time for another new guy asking for projector advice. Mainly I want to know what my options are with my set-up.

Ok, so good news for me, unlike most guys, I've got my wife asking me if we can get a Front Projector set up in our living room. (Heck, she'd even like one in the bedroom if possible).

So here's our current situation. First the entertainment:
DVDs - currently have a 3-disc changer that is not progressive scan.
Satellite - DISH Network 4900.
TV - OTA rarely, only for a couple of shows (LOST).
Video games - X-Box, Playstation (probably PS2 w/in the year), Dreamcast.
Laserdisc - old Samsung LD still chugging along.
VCR - standard 4-head hi-fi. No S-VHS.
Currently have the DVD, SAT, and VCR ran to my Toshiba 50" SD RPTV (new in 1999) through a Yamaha 6.1 receiver. All through S-Video since it converts the composite and I only need 1 cable. (Video games and LD in bedroom since we have a CRT there.)

Living room is approx 19' x 12'. Ceiling fan in middle of room. Seating area is l-shaped sectional focused in a corner - farthest from long wall would be ~18', closest ~14-14'; farthest from short wall 11', closest 1-2'.

Would love to use the open wall 19' away for a screen, but with the ceiling fan, I'm thinking ceiling mount is out of the question and I'll need to mount on the back wall. That brings a long throw distance into effect, right?
Other option is the short wall - 12' throw, but that only gives a couple of good seats, and still opens up SDE problems @ 11'.

I've been doing a little reading here and at Projector Central. So far, I'm liking the Z1, X1 (4800), BenQ 6100, and I'm probably forgetting a couple of others. I'd love to do it sub-$1000 with native 16:9.

This would basically be a TV replacement, so I would want something with an de-interlacer (correct term?) to upconvert the VHS, SAT, and OTA TV signals, right?
HD is not really an option right now, as the DISH network receiver and HD subscription is out of my price range, and OTA doesn't really interest me. The only possible HD will be from the X-Box.
So what we are really looking for is a nice big screen (~100" give or take) for DVDs and Satellite.

We haven't looked seriously at any projectors yet, just read online. So we don't know if either of us will see rainbows. However, neither of us are videophiles. Really, I couldn't tell the difference between my SD Toshiba RPTV with S-Video connections and my friend's HD Mitsu with component connections when we were watching DVDs. And my wife doesn't even notice when the convergence needs adjusting on our TV until I fix it.

There are two windows in the room, and a doorway that opens to the dining room with a sliding glass door, but light can be controlled. We've got it pretty dark now w/o blackout cloth.

So, can it be done? Shall I tell her to give up? Wait for flat panels to drop in price?

Thanks for your help all.

-Joe

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Joe, when you say under $1,000, is that just for projector?
Out of the ones you listed, only the Sanyo Z1 is native 16:9. I looked into the Z1, but I read a lot of posts at Avsforum.com from people who had very short bulb life with it. Anyway, I went with the Infocus X1. I use it in 16:9 mode with a 16:9 screen and I love it. I made my own screen, 52"X92", out of 1X3 pine frame and Blackout cloth from Joann Fabrics, and it works great. Total cost about $40.00. I also made a ceiling mount for less than $15.00. The X1 is discontinued, but you can still find them around, check GOOGLE. I bought mine at Circuit City. You have to determine where you can mount projector, to narrow down your throw distance and which projector. Check the projector reviews and calculator at Projectorcentral.com.

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

Yes, $1000 just for the projector. I will handle the screen later (probably make my own with some confidence from here :) ), and I already have the sound system.

As I said, I've been looking at Projector Central. It's just so much to take in.

Thanks for the response/advice.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Joe

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Joe, after reading your post again, it seems you can't use a ceiling mount unless you move ceiling fan? Is that out of the question? Even if you bought a projector with horizontal lens shift, like the Z1, I think the side wall may be too far off center to make it work. If so, your only other choice would be to use a cart and remove it when not in use. You will love a front projector if you can make it work.

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

I don't think I explained my room correctly. I don't have a problem (the way I'm looking at it) with off-centeredness (requiring horizontal shift) on the side wall.
Picture a rectangle, 19' x 12' roughly. I was hoping to mount the projector in the center of one 12' wall and have the screen on the other 12' wall, necessitating an 18'-19' throw range, allowing for seating in the sectional (against one 12' wall, the one with the projector, and cornering around one of the 19' walls) with a range from 15'-19'.
The other option was to mount in the center of one 19' wall, and throw against the other 19' wall, for a distance of 12', and a seating distance of 12' (best) to

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks