What's new

Fox recommends hacked DVD players for The Simpsons? (1 Viewer)

Ken Horowitz

Agent
An interesting story from the Regsiter (a technology site in the UK) points to an FAQ on the Fox UK site in which Homer Simpson recommends multi-region DVD players.
The page in question can be found here:
Link Removed
With the relevant question being:
Q: What does Regional Coding mean? Do I need a Multi-regional player?
Homer: "I have no idea whatsoever what regional coding means. But it is essential that you buy a multi-regional player. Do it now. Don't worry, we'll still be waiting here when you get back."
The Register story can be found here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/26139.html
Fox recommends hacked DVD players for The Simpsons
By Andrew Orlowski in London
Posted: 11/07/2002 at 09:08 GMT
Fox is recommending that UK customers bypass the regional encoding system enforced by DVD manufacturers. And the recommendation comes from no less an authority than Homer Simpson himself.
The call to action can be found on page four of the FAQ on the Fox UK website for the new DVD collectors' edition of The Simpsons First Series.
Potential buyers of DVD players have a much happier time in Europe. In California, Apex's multi-region DVD player was hounded off the market two years ago, with e-Bay seeking out Apex players placed for auction. On London's Tottenham Court Road, you have to try really hard to find a DVD player that hasn't been 'chipped', or a helpful sales assistant who won't explain a workaround.
Now if Homer's recommendation was made in the USA, would the cartoon character be liable for prosecution under the DMCA? We know regional coding isn't strictly an encryption scheme, but answers on a postcard please.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Well, I'm glad I took his advice because paying £34.99 for Series one when I could get the R1 version for half the price would have made no sense.

Looks like Fox may have learned their lesson with the R2 release of series 2.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
What's the joke? Seems like a serious recommendation made in the form of a humorous statement by a fictional character.
If US corporations didn't have such a stronghold in the american justice system maybe one day Homer Simpson would be able to say it here too! :)
/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks