What's new

FOX: Pan & Scan discs (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I applaud them for calling it like it is.

Not STANDARD, FULL FRAME etc.

All their discs with P&S transfers are labelled PAN AND SCAN.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
That's the proper way to say it.
Films made for 1.33:1 (such as 99.9% of the films made before 1953) and also most TV programs (Essentially, all content meant to be seen at 1.33)1 should be called "Standard" because that's the standard ratio.
Full Frame isn't very helpful because technically, an anamorphic film on DVD is indeed being shown full frame...it's frame is simply a different size unsqueezed. :D
P&S should be used for any presentation other than proper 1.66.1/1.85:1/2.35:1 matting that crops the picture.
Unmatted films should simply be called "open matte" presentations...such as the unmatted version of And Now For Something Completely Different.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I agree Chris. I don't really like that they're putting them out, but at least they're calling it like it is. :emoji_thumbsup:

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
eh,

all the family feature titles have both (thank goodness), I thought they were just P&S.

The Edward Burns movies were they first to have P&S from Fox which I still don't like, because the disc is just FLAT silver with writing on it. HARD TO READ!

MGM wasn't bad to start - they list 16x9, but not P&S anymore.

Artisan is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks