What's new

Problems with "Billie" (1 Viewer)

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
61jvz59dZTL._SL1000_.jpg
514B3ETKW8L.jpg
Has anyone else had any problems with the made on demand copy of "Billie" from M_G_M ? I have purchased 2 copies from Amazon and both had problems with the video picture. (almost what I would call a "double image"). The first MGM rtelease with the blue cover (picture on the bottom) was fine , but it was pan & scan. The made on demand disc is widescreen but the picture quality is horrible.

Can anyone tell me just what the "Made On demand" label means? How does it work?

Thanks

Last edited:

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Should I try getting it from another source? Maybe Amazon has a bad batch?

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I assume this was a burned DVD-R as opposed to a silver manufactured disc, but that shouldn't have any affect on the actual picture quality (although they may have to compress it more to achieve a single layer disc, it still shouldn't be bad). Any chance you can post a pic of the image?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sounds like what Still of the Night looked like on its first MGM-MOD release. I believe it was later replaced with a correct master, and then, of course, Kino gave it an excellent Blu-ray release.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
I assume this was a burned DVD-R as opposed to a silver manufactured disc, but that shouldn't have any affect on the actual picture quality (although they may have to compress it more to achieve a single layer disc, it still shouldn't be bad). Any chance you can post a pic of the image?
100_6445.JPG

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
That is pretty bad. If it were me, I might see if changing settings on my TV or player (those dealing with interlaced, progressive or up scaling) to see if that helped. It may be an encoding issue like David mentions above.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, there's just no excuse for this!

Whoever's responsible for releasing this title in such a deplorable state of PQ ought to be ashamed of themselves! :(
Thanks Tony, I agree. Can you explain how the "Made On Demand" process works?

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
What I am asking is: Does Amazon have a bunch of already pressed DVD's on hand, and if this is a bad batch, should I order it from another company and take a chance that it was pressed on another run?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It looks like a bad master and it is unlikely to be different from a different seller. None of them will be pressed.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
It's an interlace issue. You may find a solution by playing around with the settings and playback preferences on your player. Have you tried the disc on another device?

clambake

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jamie
If you don't mind watching the movie on your computer, you can get the free video player 'VLC'. You'd play the disc, click on the 'Video' option at the top, a menu will come down, and there's an option that says 'Deinterlace'. You just turn that on and it will get rid of the interlacing you're seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks