What's new

Four More Disney Treasures In 2003 (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I know that the 3 Disney Treasures for this year have yet to be released but the good news is that Leonard Maltin says in an interview on DVDFile that there will be 4 more next year. He hints that one of these will be Donald Duck. I suspect one of the others will be a True Life Adventures collection which had been expected this year.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
This thrills me to no end. I can only hope we'll see a Wartime shorts collection next year.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While I'm glad these are coming, I'm more interested in the next waves of Vault Disney titles.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I imagine it will be either the remaining Mickey Mouse color shorts or the remaining Mickey Mouse B&W shorts. Wartime material it might be, as that was scheduled for this year but postponed, hence the reason there are only 3 this year.

David_D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very interested in the next was of treasures. However, I too am even more interested in the Vault Disney titles. I really hope to see 20000 Leagues on that list.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm with you on 20K Leagues, David. I was watching "The Bad and the Beautiful" on DVD tonight and it occured to me whether Kirk Douglas would be able to do a commentary or any interviews. He had a stroke years ago and still suffers slurred speech.

Jedrek

Stunt Coordinator
I would like some Chip & Dale in a Disney Treasures box set (those two clowns always were pretty cool), and I wouldn't mind having those Wartime cartoons mentioned earlier.

The DVD I'm most awaiting though, is Song of the South. I used to love those songs of Brer Rabbit when I was a kid, and seeing Splash mountain makes me wonder about it more. Any word on SOTS?

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Anyone know who owns the rights to the late night Zorro they use to pass on Disney? The one with Guy Williams as Don Diego/Zorro. I have every episode recorded and would love them on DVD.

l8rz,
Deepak Jr,

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think Disney is still trying to wrangle out an agreement with the estate of Guy Williams. It seems they've made a lot of enemies. First Peggy Lee, then Darlene Gillespie of the Mickey Mouse Club, then the Winnie-the-Pooh licensees.

If Song of the South comes out then I'll probably have a heart attack. Hopefully I won't die from it, so I can buy it.

I'd also like:

—lesser-known characters like Humphrey the Bear who did a few shorts in the 1950s (Figaro the cat, from Pinocchio, did a few short cartoons in the 1940s, maybe they'll be on the new DVD of that picture?)
—short cartoons not starring any recurring character (i.e. Lambert the Sheepish Lion, et al)
—more anthology series episodes (uncut and with original openings and closings)

Jeff F.

Second Unit
And we can't forget the Jiminy Cricket shorts, "I'm No Fool."

I'd love to see those released.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Just for the record Harry,it's Patrick McGoohan (aka. The Prisoner and Secret Agent Man) and I'm eager to see the "Scarecrow Of Romney Marsh" episodes released as well.
I believe they were originally announced for this year and then postponed for release until 2003,I hope we see them along with 20,000 Leagues on DVD in the new year.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Dr. Syn was announced for this year (2002), then withdrawn as a title, with the War Time cartoons mentioned. Then both Wartimes and the True Life Adventure were both dropped in the official announcement.

I personally well buy any treasure they put out. I love the cartoon shorts as much, if not more than their features.

My vote for a Treasure set would be "Walt Disney : the Silent years, collecting the Alice shorts that Walt did before Mickey Mouse. I have no idea how many of these survive today, or who owns the rights, but I can dream!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sorry, I started to repeat myself!

Does anyone actually know what the content was supposed to be on the canceled Wartime cartoons collection? I'd love to see "Victory Via Air Power", a feature length film on WWII, and how it could be won by the air force. I don't believe that it has ever been released on home video, as it was controversial upon its initial release.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The last thing I heard was that the Wartime set was not cancelled, but delayed due to rights issues. Unlike the other sets, which consist of material previously issued on home video (albeit in some cases in different versions), the wartime material presumably has content that had not yet had its home video rights questions ironed out. Has there been an official "cancellation" notice I haven't seen?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
lesser-known characters like Humphrey the Bear ... short cartoons not starring any recurring character (i.e. Lambert the Sheepish Lion, et al)
A few of these have already been released on DVD. The Lambert short (one of my all time favorites) can be found on the Melody Time DVD.
Melody Time
Casey Bats Again, Lambert the Sheepish Lion and Donald Duck in Donald Applecore
Make Mine Music
Peter And The Wolf (another favorite), Casey At The Bat, The Whale Who Wanted To Sing At The Met, and Johnnie Fedora And Alice Bluebonnet
These are the ones I know off the top of my head but I think there are others.
Chris S.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Remember that the current DVDs for "Melody Time" and "Make Mine Music" are edited for content. They are still enjoyable, IMHO, but some of us are sticklers, so I thought I'd put out the call.

I never saw an official cancellation on the Wartime set. I believe the rights would be with the state department, as these shorts were made as propaganda (if I'm remembering a book I read by Leonard Maltin, all the war time material was produced with and for the state department.)

I'm sure there is a Disney expert that well let us know for sure, as I'm curious myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks