What's new

Found some good sub drivers (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Geoff

The midwoofers a M8a. I bought a couple of cases before they were discontinued. The M8n are an exact electrical replacement for the M8a. The M8n has a slightly bigger frame so the cutout diameter is different from the M8a.

The tweeter is the SS 9800. It's my favorite dome. Hard to tame but amazing detail with the proper crossover.

Those are a design we call the Arvo Ultra's. They're petite compared to the speakers in the main listening room. I don't have a pic of them uploaded. So I'll just say that on each side there are a pair of Acoustat 1+1's(used as midwoofers). In between each pair of Acoustats is a B&G RD-75 planar used as midrange, and a column containing 16 Technics H-400 leaf tweeters. I use Maggie MMG's as surrounds. ;)

Nope no Quads currently. When I was just a young pup, I co-owned a high-end audio gallery. One of the speakers we carried was the Mark Levinson HQD, so yes I'm VERY familar with Quads... :D

And yes I have both hand trucks and dollys to move stuff around....

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yes I thought that might be the midbass driver you where using. I bought my 4-M8a's prior to the close-out, and even with dealer pricing, they were pricey. At least to me they were at like 83.00+ a pop.

Then after the speaks where finished, PE ends up closing them out at half price or less per driver, compared to what I gave. That would have been an excellent time to score a case or 2 of them like you did. A steal/ well an awful good price for what a bulk order (case) went for when they where dropping that line.

Quite a versital driver. I have two per tower doing the bottom end and they have surprised more than a few with their extension capabilitys. Of course the sealed off bass chambers with the 2 M8A's per cab are ported, and tuned right around 28Hz. But with added room gain go down to about 24-Hz or so, pretty solid.

Certainly NOT a replacement for a good deep digging sub, but I can do with out one for HT when every I build something new for the sub action...
Now if i can get Jack to re do the crossovers once I get the cash (much higher grade parts) I'll be all set

Sorry about the semi hi-jack on the woof thread, was just curious if my hunch was right on the HI-VI driver model...

~{Very "nice" (BIG) speaks Thomas}~...!

Cheers
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks