Found some good sub drivers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike SJ, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

2 of these in a 4 cu ft box

Characteristic sensitivity (2.83V / 1m) : 83 dB
    Recommended frequency range : 21 - 500 Hz
    Free air resonance frequency, fs : 20.5 Hz
    DC resistance, Re : 3.4 ohm
    Voice coil inductance, Le : 0.47 mH
    Effective piston area, Sd : 232 cm²
    Moving mass incl. air, md : 106 g
    Mechanical loss, Rm : 2.9 Ns/m
    Force factor, BL : 9.7 Tm
    Equivalent volume, Vas : 43.5 ltr.
    Mechanical Q-factor, Qms : 4.7
    Electrical Q-factor, Qes : 0.49
    Total Q-factor, Qts : 0.44
    Excursion, lin./max. : ±13 / ±20 mm
    Voice coil diameter : 50 mm
    Rated power handling : 225 W
    Net weight : 4.6 kg

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Mike,

Which company made the drivers? @ 83dB, they don't seem very efficient, though.

3. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

SCAN SPEAK

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

SS 23-4557T00

[​IMG]

Since they'll probably retail for ~$800+/pr, I can think of quite a few other drivers I'd rather have........

5. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

well I m thinking those are as close as ill come to finding a match to the martin logan woofers

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Why do you think that? It's been awhile since I listened to some Martin Logans.

7. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

Ive been reading up at a web site for ML's and I know the drivers are scan speak's and those are closest to what I got. basket is a bit different and dust cap is different. but as i said, its the closest ive come to finding t/s params for what I have

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Althought I find it hard to believe that ML actually uses SS drivers, the reality is that you don't need SS drivers to match up with ESLs.

If you're after a the 'best' sub, then look long and hard at either dipole or IB configurations. I have both Maggies and ESLs and IB or dipoles are the only types of subs that 'match' the sound quality of planars....

9. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

They might be a nice sounding driver but they may be quite difficult to make work well. With the very low sensitivity combined with the fairly low power handling of 225W and the fact that it doesnt take much power to send these past xmax in the enclosure you stated you will be hard pressed to get much output out of them.
    Again, I dont have any experience with these first hand but those are my thoughts when looking at the parameters.

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Also, keep in mind that a 4 ohm driver with a sensntivity of 83dB at 2.83V/1M will only be 80dB at 1W/1M.

11. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

thats horrible

12. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

well i guess ill have to keep searching

13. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

For what?

It's going take more than buying a extremely expensive driver to keep 'pace' with planar speakers.

You must consider the transient response of the design of the sub itself. So consider an IB sub if circumstances permit. If not, take a long hard look at dipole subs, their bass is EXTREMELY high quality...

14. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

Im not "trying" to reproduce anything. Im probably not explaining myself well.
    besides IB subs, are you saying that the dipole subs are the next step down? My sub is sealed. but its not a finished box, just a temporary solution. basically I have scrap 1" MDF with walnut veneer on one side at my disposal. The pieces are large enough to make a nice sub box and then the fronst for my new bookshelves. I am trying to make susre I dont waste the walnut or the woofers or my money. I appreciate all the input I can get.

15. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

I'm saying that IB or dipole make the best bass, much, much better than sealed.

I've experimented but at this point I'm not sure which is better IB vs dipole. They are virtually identical. One does need multiple drivers for either alignment.

I'm currently playing around with a all dipole, fullrange system that started with a pair of 12"s/side. The bass was very good but lacked 'punch'. Now with 4-12"s/side it's almost a dead heat vs my 4-12" IB sub in the lowest octaves

[​IMG]

BTW note that I also have Maggies and Acoustat 1+1's, so I have a good basis for comparison..

16. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

dang, maybe I should send you one of my drivers to play with for a while...
    hmm . just to make sure I know what dipole is, it is both speakers moving in the same direction? not both in like an isobaric though. right?

17. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

18. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

hey Thomas, are those Dynaudio woofers?

19. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

20. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Mike
    Dipole subs are not the eaisest things to design and build, let alone the cost involved usually to get nice room pressurization. Multi drivers are generally the rule, and per side at that.
    The IB is much easier to build/construct and unless your looking for a major challange the dipole would not be my first choice if you have the room to do an IB.

I'm not sure, others may know, but dosen't PE have driver measureing equipment....? For a fee you could send them one a least and get you true TS params for these mysterious ML 10's drivers.???

Thomas:
    Boy those sure are good size speaks, you using a dolly to move them around..[​IMG]
    Which series HI VI Research drivers are you using in the pic you posted? (I belive thats what your using), if so what do you think of them. I ran the M8A which PE dropped, probley due to cost and really like them ALLOT. Have not heard the MN or F series in anything nice yet.

Can't see the tweet clear enough to even take a guess. So what you hiding their?

ELS's, & Maggies, tuff job to smoke out some killer deep fast bass for those speaks. ~{Fast bass is a kinda play on words here}~....!!! [​IMG]
    You know what I mean, more of a running joke with the un-informed bass crowd.

You have any old Quads laying around also, you seem to never cess to amaze me with all the stuff that shows up at your links/site..

Regards
    Geoff