What's new

FOTR SE to be a 4 disc set! (1 Viewer)

Matt Giggey

Stunt Coordinator
Even though I love The Fellowship Of The Ring, I will not lower myself to buy both the movie only and the special edition DVDs. I am just sick of this. Sure I don't mind waiting for the "special" set, but come on, to the average movie buyer that really wants the best that is offered giving two versions of the same thing is just sucking up all the money you can get out of them. I am glad to see all the interest in the movie, and that the studio knows a good movie when they see one, but it is no excuse to suck the pocket money form those who really want the best, and find out 2 months after that they need to buy it again.
This is exactly what I am saying. Everyone is talking about "At least they are being upfront about it." OK! It has been reported on a few internet DVD sites! And of course it is so far away, so I still have to give them a chance to officially announce it. But something tells me they aren't going to be running national TV commercials saying "It will be released movie-only in August, with a much better DVD coming out three months later!"
Disney was "upfront" about the Pearl Harbor plan for a re-release. Do you think that even 10% of the people who bought that knew they were already planning on releasing a better version in the future? Us super nerds might know about it, but millions of other people won't.
I still don't understand, with so much time to go before the release, why they can't *just* do a "Special Edition." I also can't understand why they can't do seamless branching on the DVD. I have a feeling both releases will be spread over two discs. And if it wasn't possible, why not release both the theatrical cut, and the director's cut, at the same time with the same special features on both?
I can't believe the complacency I'm hearing with this decision. This seems to me like the most scandalous DVD release ever. So many months to do the right thing...

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
With 4 disc's, maybe the special edition will also have the theatrical version as well as the director's cut.

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I've got no problem with the movie being on two discs since I read Fellowship of the Ring as two books. I got a seven volume box set for Christmas.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The people who are going to care most about a 4 disc SE version will have their ears close to the ground and will have heard it. I don't think I'll lose any sleep if Ma and Pa Kettle w/ their $69 Oritron player don't know if there are going to be 2 releases.

NL has done enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Carlo said it best. New Line is giving educated consumers a choice. The people that care enough about FOTR to want a SE will probably know about both versions prior to the release of the first. If you don't want the movie-only, don't get it. That's pretty simple, isn't it?

Take care,

Chuck

Matt Giggey

Stunt Coordinator
Carlo said it best. New Line is giving educated consumers a choice. The people that care enough about FOTR to want a SE will probably know about both versions prior to the release of the first. If you don't want the movie-only, don't get it. That's pretty simple, isn't it?
So it's OK for people to get shafted because they don't have internet access or the desire to visit a website about DVDs?
Car dealerships have the responsibility to sell good cars to people, regardless of whether they know a lot about cars or not. Sure, you should do a lot of research when buying a car, but does that make it acceptable for the dealership to sell a lemon if the person doesn't know it? The first release is a lemon, plain and simple, or why would they be planning another? (And I'm not talking about theatrical vs. director's cut, I'm talking about one having special features and one not having them). And should you be required to do research when you want to purchase a friggin' DVD? They have the responsibility of offering the best possible quality product to their customer.
They are going to sell millions of DVDs in August. The vast majority of them aren't going to know about the upcoming rerelease, unless New Line announces it on the DVD packaging or in TV commercials. The vast majority of them are also going to be rabid fans of the movie; it has developed quite a following. So you can't tell me that the people who "care enough about it" "should know". New Line "should care enough about it" to not rip off their customers.
And if we're talking about a difference in price, why not release the SE and the regular edition at the same time, a la Atlantis, so people have a choice?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
First off, a $20-25 DVD is not the investment a new car is. Secondly, most of those "millions of consumers in August" mentioned will be happy with the movie-only version they buy. They won't get the newer, more expensive one. THEY WON'T CARE.
There are a few business reasons why NL would do this.
1) To SLOWLY build up anticipation for TTT.
2) They know many fans will buy both if they spread out the release dates, myself included. That would be much less likely if they were to release it same day. Lest we forget, NL cares about profit. At least they care enough about the fans to inform in advance. Will they bring it up in TV ads? No...why should they? Ignorance is bliss.
So it's OK for people to get shafted because they don't have internet access or the desire to visit a website about DVDs?
By the same token, should I have to wait until November for PJ to finish the DVD just so a minority of consumers won't get confused by two advertised releases?
I think people misunderstand the draw of the SE. It's thirty more minutes of the movie. Special features...it's SPECIAL. It's aimed at the movie's fans, who presumably will know months in advance about the release.
I think you underestimate the target audience for the 4 disc release. But hey, spread the word. If New Line were guilty about this so-called tactic (like Universal), they wouldn't mention the SE at all. But hey, if what you say is right, they'll burn the bridges with their fans, thus spiralling them into debt and oblivion.
If I sound heartless, so be it.
Take care,
Chuck
Edited for atrocious grammar on my part;)
By the by, any DVD owner worth their salt would see a bare-bones release of last years biggest (or second biggest) movie, and wonder what the deal is. Even Glitter had a few features.

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Wow..I thought everyone would be happy about this! This is good news isn't it? Movie only version for those so inclined, and a 4-disc collectors edition for those who want that. And they aren't keeping it a secret. Also, if this is the way it turns out, cut them some slack, perhaps they will make a strong effort to educate the consumer of the two editions so there is no ill will. There's plenty of time still for that. My hat's off to New Line for the way they are handling the trilogy from start to finish, film and DVD.

I wish all titles were handled this way. But, that of course is only my opinion.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that most of the people who will want the 4 disc SE have those things. Most people who don't have internet connection, or visit any DVD websites probably aren't interested in the four disc set! What, you think that EVERYONE would opt to buy the 4 discer if they had the choice? Want to know the sales figures between the 2 disc Toy Story 1&2 set and the 3 disc version (released simultaneously)? I can't give 'em out (swore to secrecy w/ someone I know who works with videoscan) but let's just say the vast majority of people chose the 2 disc over the 3 disc set.
Sure, not EVERYONE who prefers the 4 disc has internet access, but I dare say a good majority of them do. Most common people who only want the movie will happily buy the 1 disc version and not bat an eyelash when the 4 disc version comes out.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I didn't much care for Howard Shore's score, but I would definitely not want to change composers midstream, either. The whole idea is to have the three films fit together seamlessly, and you can't have that with one of the major participants suddenly being switched. So I'll live with Howard. I'm more nervous about the Ents looking good than the score, myself.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
The 3-disc set cost twice as much. Most bare-bones and collector's releases differ by about five to ten dollars. This one had a $25 - $35 price difference (two movies, but still a one disc difference). That is a big difference, and is probably not a good guage as to peoples' interest in colector's edition verses beare bones releases.

I am a big fan of these movies, and usually opt for collector's editions, but could not justify that kind of price difference. I am sure there were many others like me in this case.

I bet the numbers will be closer together between the two FOTR editions, even with the two month gap.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'd also say that there are probably will be a lot of people not interested in a 4 disc set just from the fact that the movie would be split in the middle. They'd want the whole movie on one disc.

Personally, I can't see why people are complaining about this. The fact that we know this is a good thing.

Jason

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The 3-disc set cost twice as much. Most bare-bones and collector's releases differ by about five to ten dollars. This one had a $25 - $35 price difference (two movies, but still a one disc difference). That is a big difference, and is probably not a good guage as to peoples' interest in colector's edition verses beare bones releases.
Assuming this refers to the "Ultimate Toy Box," I agree. Which is why I skipped it until my local Costco had them during the past holiday season at only $29.99. Same for the "Fantasia Anthology" box. I picked up both. :)
They (Costco) also have/had many of the 2-disc Disney special editions at $19.99.
That's got me wondering about the MSRP for the (still rumored) 4-disc FOTR set. Anyone have a guess? Most of us will pay it regardless, but it would be nice if they could lessen the pain by keeping it $39.99 or less.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
But don't forget: if people really are keeping track of every nickle and dime they spent (hence why Ultimate Toy Story sold a lot less than just the 2 pack) why wouldn't that hold true for LoTR as well? We don't even know what the MSRPs are going to be, who is to say that the 4 disc and 1 disc version will even be close?

I still maintain that most of the people who will care for the 4 disc have appropriate avenues to learn about the information. NL doesn't need to do much more, since it doesn't make good business sense to potentially create mass market confusion.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
One advantage the "best-selling DVD ever" contest the companies had last fall was that even two disc sets had to run less than $20. While this rings more true with the theatrical release of FOTR, they'll still want to move major numbers in November...get on the news...free advertising for TTT. I expect the MSRP for even a 4 disc set to be $39.99. It's still only one movie. We'll see...NL does know they have us the hardcore fans over a barrel on this cut, but I think it pays to price it at $40 instead of $50.

Take care,

Chuck

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
But don't forget: if people really are keeping track of every nickle and dime they spent (hence why Ultimate Toy Story sold a lot less than just the 2 pack) why wouldn't that hold true for LoTR as well?
I imagine that would hold true for any title at any price difference between bare-bones and collector's editions. The greater the price difference, the more people will opt for the bare-bones edition.

If the LoTR SE costs $25 more, I bet we would see Toy Story like statsitics. That's not really "nickel and diming" to most people.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I do hope we know the price of the SE when the Theatrical Version is released. I for one will opt for the Theatrical Version single DVD if the price difference is $25US or greater. I simply cannot justify nor afford that kind of money on a single movie knowing that all three movies will be released eventually in a Special Edition Box Set (which will be a must buy for me).

I do think that it is a non issue that there are two editions being released. If a bare bones DVD is released it is inevitable that a SE is or will be in the works for most movies. You do not need Internet access to figure that one out. New Line has publically announced the two different versions (have they announced this or is this just a rumour from Digital Bits?). What else can a company be expected to do that is trying to make money for its shareholders?

Chris

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Quoting Gary from Nova Scotia:
I've got no problem with the movie being on two discs since I read Fellowship of the Ring as two books. I got a seven volume box set
Well I've read LOTR as 1 book - guess that means I'll get all the movies on 1 disc! Yippee!;)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm just curious, where has it been reported (or even rumored) that the first release would be a "bare bones" or "movie only" release?

I know that it has been reported/rumored that the the first release would contain the THEATRICAL CUT and the later release would be the extented version and full fledged "special edition" release. But has it really been said that the first release would have nothing other than the movie on it? There are lots of DVD out there that are certainly not special collector editions with tons of extras but that still have enough extra stuff on them that you can't call them "bare bones" either.

I really don't know what we'll get, but it seems that the assumption of this thread has been that the first release is going to be "bare bones", and I'm curious as to where that came from. Might not the theatrical cut release have some neat stuff on it too?

jonathanR

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All:

Personally I dont mind if they wait a couple more months past Aug. just so we could get both versions at once. Hope I dont get flammed, but I've waited for dvds in the past and I think I can wait a couple months just so they could have both versions available at the same time. Dont get me wrong, I've been wanting this movie jus like everyone else, since the day I saw it on the bigscreen. Just dont know what all the fuss is about from the studios.....If Disney can release a reg. & special ed. of their atlantis or emporers new groove on the same day ....why cant newline.

J =P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks