What's new

Forgotten shows (1 Viewer)

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Yay finally 1 poster other than me wanting the Paradise and then GUNS OF PARADISE starring LEE HORSEY also who was Matt Houston.

That is definitely a forgotten show.

As for a forgotten DVD Topic is noone has ever posted a single topic on 7th Heaven. They are releasing their 3rd season soon.

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
Covington Cross wasn't heavy and serious. It was lighthearted and funny yet not buffoonery. Even a drama doesn't have to be heavy and dark.

And I wasn't saying that historicals need to be serious. They could create an historical sitcom. You could have an indoor set (no need for outdoor scenes), and the costumes wouldn't have to cost that much (especially since historically people didn't change clothes a lot like they do now). In fact costuming could be cheaper than current sitcom clothes which are rarely seen more than once.

Westerns aren't popular now because they've been done to death.

Covington Cross tried but didn't succeed. It's too bad because it was fresh. And maybe there's the problem. No one wants to try anything new.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Oh god - I havent thought about Inside Out for years! that was a great show (Um, I think - it was great when I was 10 back in the 70s).

The other cool one I remember from this time was a series about these two kids - a boy and a girl, and their grandmother - driving around washington state, checking out out all the cool tourist sights. They hit the Columbia river, the dry lakes in eastern washington - all over the place. You never saw the faces of the principal 3, just the backs of their heads and arms and legs and stuff. The soundtrack was all voiced over (later in the studio, presumably).

Hell if I can remember the name of it - but it had this kind of rough stop motion animation opening of this paper cut out of a car driving across this very cartoony background.

Freaky.

***EDIT***
Holy crap - here's a whole bunch of information about Inside Out: http://members.rogers.com/ambrozic/tvo/insideout.html

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody out there remember Trapper John or how about this one, Born Free? I also liked Grizzley Adams and the Streets of San Francisco and the Fugitive. I am surprised at what is also not out yet, my very favorite, The Wild Wild West. That show was so well written,and also Get Smart. They were truly funny and no one was real mean spirited except the bad guys. The comedies these days seem so mean spirited. And there is no warmth to the characters. I mean, with All in the Family, you knew underneath his crust Archie would always do the right thing in the end. You just couldn't hate Archie even if you didn't agree with him. I would also like to see Maude ,Rhoda, Lou Grant and WKRP come out next year. I am glad to hear HillStreet Blues is coming out. I am surprised that most of these shows are not on cable in my area at all. There is no accounting for taste!! So for the record the shows I would like to see come out in 2006-2007 are:

The Wild Wild West
Get Smart
The Streets of San Francisco
The Fugitive(both versions)
Grizzly Adams
Born Free
Maude
Rhoda
Lou Grant
WKRP
Trapper John

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, I'm new so here's my list:

For those of you who think "Commander in Chief" is so innovative, I'll have you know that Patty Duke was actually the FIRST female American President, in "HAIL TO THE CHIEF," circa 1985, although the show only ran 7 weeks. It was done by the creators of "Soap" and boasts Dick Shawn, Ted Bessell and Herschel Bernardi in its cast.

I'd also love to see "DOLPHIN COVE" which only lasted about 8 weeks; just a simple family drama about some marine biologists, took place in Australia. It starred the kid from "A Year in the Life," which has been mentioned in this thread several times. I think his name was Trey Ames??

And how about "SECOND NOAH," which had about 20 episodes in 1996, and was about a veterinarian with 8 adopted kids, and lots of zoo animals in the backyard. I loved the writing in this show. I'm surprised it didn't last longer.

And don't tell me I'm the only one on these boards who wants to see "THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR". I loved this show more than anything as a kid. It lasted 2 seasons and also had a great and memorable nautical-sounding march as its theme music.

Also, "NANNY & THE PROFESSOR," circa 1970, would be a good choice. It was a light family comedy about a nanny with E.S.P. It starred Juliet Mills, who is currently on display every day on NBC's "Passions" soap opera. In fact, in one recent episode, they had Juliet's real-life daughter do a cameo, dressed as her mother's old "Nanny" character. Cute.

And then there's FRESNO, which was a spoof of "Dynasty," "Dallas," and the like. It starred Carol Burnett, Dabney Coleman, Teri Garr, Charles Grodin and Gregory Harrison. I think it was a mini-series; but if we can get an obscure 90s mini like "Wild Palms," we can surely get this one, with its all-star cast??

And my guilty pleasure would be THE CHARMINGS, which was a sitcom about Snow White and family moving to 1980s Los Angeles. It was much funnier than it sounds. The critics poo-poohed the series when it aired, but "3rd Rock From The Sun" was basically the same show. That just seemed more cool, because it was about aliens, not storybook characters.

I'd also like to see these (and other) shows that have already been mentioned in this thread:

WHEN THINGS WERE ROTTEN
VOYAGERS
MAN FROM ATLANTIS
QUARK
A YEAR IN THE LIFE
CALIFORNIA DREAMS
THE QUEST (Perry King version from the 80s)

Yeah, any of this stuff, and LOTS more, would have me running down to BestBuy with my credit cards. Seriously! And the clerk would be like, 'um, what the hell are you buying here, boy." But ya gotta love these shows. None of them were very successful, but they're still better than junk like "Twins" and "The Biggest Loser." Aye yie yie...I HATE that vulgar show...!

The likelihood of my list making it to dvd is slim, but I don't despair; 1970s stuff I've never heard of, like "That's My Mama" and "Lotsa Luck" come at us from left field all the time. We'll just hafta keep on hoping. Oh, hell, they should just put out every show ever made on dvd; somebody will buy it!

Tabetha

Agent
One show I remember is "Our House" And I also remember a show about a girl who was from outerspace and she lived with a family on Earth and often talked with her father, who's head would appear in this bowl...orb type thing. She did this towards the end of the show I think. I think its called "Out of this World" but I'm not sure.

Tabbi

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I am not sure if these qualify as forgotten shows but they are a few i am waiting for and have voted for on TVshowsondvd.com

Hardcastle & McCormick
Matt Houston
Scarecrow & Mrs. King

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
I sometimes feel that I buy too many TV shows on DVD as it is and you are giving me more "I wanna"

Top of my head:
The Quest (Kurt Russell & Tim Matheson - got a single DVD that was two episode put together as a movie just a few weeks ago)
Man from Atlantis (Patrick Duffy)
Primus (Robert Brown as a oceanographer/marine scientist that solved mysteries. Loved the underwater scenes)
Phoenix (Judson Scott)
The Immortal (Christopher George)
The Starlost (Keir Dullea)
The Magician (Bill Bixby)
The Sentinel (Richard Burgi and Garrett Maggart)
Prey (Debra Messing before Will and Grace, Vincent Ventresca before The Invisible Man and Adam Stokes)
Switch (Eddie Albert and Robert Wagner - former bunco cop and former conman - guess which is which - form a detective agency that puts one over on the other conmen)
Fantastic Journey (Roddy McDowell, Jared Martin and others)
It Takes a Thief (Robert Wagner)

And there are others that people have already mentioned. Wow, if wishes were horses, we'd have sold them for the money to buy more DVD's :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I think Spenser ran for 5 seasons, so I'd guess that it was a reasonably popular show, so why hasn't it come out on DVD yet? Don't know how long Vega$ ran, but that wasn't bad either. Yes, I guess we're Urich fans...

I still remember a voice-over quote at the end of one particularly harrowing episode (I think Hawk went missing and Spenser thought he might have been killed): Spenser waxes lyrical about friendships, but notes the caveat, "Each man's journey through life is a solitary one. We live as we dream -- alone." Rather depressing, and later on I found out that the latter is a quote from Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

I can't believe someone else here remembered Gemini Man. Cheesy as hell now that you think about it: a digital watch that allowed 15 minutes of invisibility a day, if he exceeded that he'd stay invisible permanently (or some other dire consequence, maybe even death) -- I remember one episode where he was invisible when he entered the cockpit of a 747, had to land it and couldn't take his hands off the flight controls the entire time, then was knocked out on landing so his colleagues had to rush into the plane and the cockpit, then fumble around trying to find him and his watch to switch it off. Doh!

I was fond of Man From Atlantis (yes, I tried to swim that way too!), Streethawk, Manimal and Automan when they came out, but somehow I think passage of time may not have been kind and they'll seem cheesy now. Heck, I was a Knight Rider fan but I wouldn't buy the DVDs now -- in my defence I was a kid at the time...

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
(I haven't read through the entire thread, so feel free to sue me if I'm repeating)

From my youth:

Mr. Terrific
Captain Nice
Family Affair
Mayberry RFD
The Good Guys
When Things Were Rotten
Get Smart (Pleeeeze!)
Gomer Pyle, USMC (Pleeeeeze!)
Mannix
The Wild, Wild West
Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Sea Hunt

And does anyone remember the show about astronauts that had as a theme song: "It's about time, it's about space, it's about two men in a strange place" or something like that?

Jon

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Does anyone remember "Jake and the Fatman" ? pretty good show that ran in late 80's through early 90's. I had forgotten about this one myself, but i found a couple of old vhs tapes yesterday that had some episdoes recorded.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
My favorite "used to be famous but is now unknown" show is PEYTON PLACE, ABC's first nighttime soap from the 60's, that launched the careers of Ryan O'Neal and Mia Farrow.
FOX reran it on its non-affiliate stations in the early 90's, followed by a brief run on AMC's ROMANCE CLASSICS channel.

Too bad, it is addictive and fun.
I don't ever expect it to see the light of day (or night) again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks