What's new

Forced Commercials on BBC DVD (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I want to call everyone’s attention to the forced commercials on BBC documentary DVDs.

I sat down to watch the DVD of BBC’s “Voyage to the Planets and Beyond” today. To my great dismay, I was forced to watch 2 commercials before I could do anything. I could not go to the menu, I couldn’t FF, I couldn’t even use the stop button. This sort of thing has got to stop!!

It took over 3 minutes from when I inserted the disc, until I was finally at the menu.

I went to DVD’s of Documentaries because I finally got fed up with trying to watch them on TV / Satellite due to the large channel logos that are on screen all the time. Now I guess I will just give up all together.

Please do not purchase or rent any videos from BBC. This is the only way to get the point across.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Scott,
I just tried out the disc, and if you press "next" then you skip over the commercials (one at a time). Two presses of the button and you're at the main screen. I believe this is the same as Universal.

BTW - I saw your website, stopthelogos.com and it made me laugh. In the summer of 2001 I considered abandoning my TVShowsOnDVD.com idea and creating a site for network logos because I was sick of seeing them. Glad to see someone else created the site when I decided to stick with my original idea.

Gord

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That is weird. I tried everything and nothing worked. I wonder if it is a difference in our players?

I don't have a "Next" button on my remote, but I did try FF and Next Track. Neither would work.

I was so angry, I tried every button I had :)

p.s. Glad you like my site. I just wish I could get more people to join the fight.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm plugging your site at least until more people join up! I've said it a billion times, but I don't think it's any coincidence that shows on DVD are selling when they've become unwatchable on their network airings. I wanted to work for a TV station, but this general lack of respect for presentation quality made me decide to forget about it.
What ads are on the DVD, trailers for other DVDs or something totally unrelated? Most Warner discs let you use the Title control to go directly to the main program. Results on some players seem to vary from others though when skipping intros and junk.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Jesse;

There was an Ad for BBC America and one for BBC DVD's (I think - I was too busy trying to get it stopped to watch it)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Scott, the button that worked is the one that I use to jump to the next chapter on a DVD. It works on my Sony, Panasonic and my Mac (using both DVD Player and Trans Lucy apps).

What player do you own?

Gord

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have a Samsung DVD-HD931.

The next chapter and FF button are the same button on the remote. If I hold it down it FF's, if I just hit it, it goes to next chapter. In this case, if I hit it, I get the circle/slash telling me NO!!!!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Ahhh...sounds like the disc is reading it as a FF, not as a skip. Bummer man :frowning:

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks