What's new

For the US, where is the best place to get sacd and dvd audio titles? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Just want to start my collection of sacd titles. I am soon getting the Sony 555ES! Where is the best place to get them? Where is the best place to look for info on upcoming titles?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Michael_T

Second Unit
You can try the following on-line:
www.amusicdirect.com
www.elusivedisc.com
www.acousticsounds.com
www.towerrecords.com
www.superaudio-cd.com
For DVD-Audio:
www.dvdempire.com
www.dvdplanet.com
You might also want to try out www.amazon.com but their selection is somewhat limited.
For information you can also go to www.sonymusic.com/sacd
Or click on some of the links in www.superaudio-cd.com.
Brick and mortar that carry SACD and DVD-Audio:
Best Buy
Tower Records
Compact Disc World (in NJ)
Brick and mortar that carry DVD-Audio:
Sam Goody
Brick and mortar that carry SACD:
Circuit City
Brick and mortar that carries DVD-Audio and SACD at least in one location in NJ:
Coconuts in Totowa, NJ - which is supposed to be the test store for the rest of the chain.
I know this may not all be local to you - but it might help.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Best Buy usually has a decent selection of SACD titles...you can also try Tower Records and for online purchases...Amazon.com.

There are a few other online places that are good too, but I can't think of the names.

Eric.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, so you are getting the 'C555ES, huh? Cool! Michael did an excellent job providing sources for SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. Print out that list for future reference. I will add that Borders stores have some DVD-Audio discs.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Keith, I am torn between what I want to do. I would like the 555 but after reading the review on the 777 made me want that one. But I also do not want to spend $2000 right now. I also don't want to spend $824 now and then beable to pick up the 777 for $1200 or less 6 months from now. I also don't want to wait any longer to enjoy sacd so what I might do for right now is pick up the ce775 just for right now. And wait till the 777 drops in price.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I understand your dilemma. I bought the 'C555ES in October, but if the 'XA777ES drops to say, $1200 at some point, I may very well get one. Let me say that I have not heard anything credible to lead me to believe that the retail price of the 'XA777ES will drop, but it could very well happen at some point. Sony has a way of dropping the retail price of its ES SACD players some months after release.
In my case, if the price of the 'XA777ES does drop and I do buy one, I will not feel like buying the 'C555ES was a waste because I bought it to get a good CD changer in addition to getting multi-channel SACD. So, even with the 'XA777ES, I will still use the 'C555ES as a CD changer and for convenient switching between SACDs. I use the 'C555ES even though I have the original '777ES, which is the better player. The '777ES serves as my "audiophile" single-disc player, and I wouldn't want to part with it if I bought the 'XA777ES. So, I obviously don't need the 'XA777ES, but I would be tempted to grab one for $1200 or so, based on the rave reviews. Then again, the unit that replaces the 'XA777ES could be even better, so I might be better off waiting another generation. :)
Based on your concerns, maybe the 'CE775 would be the way to go for now. However, just be sure you can "live" with the 'CE775.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, your post prompted me to check my Private Messages and I responded.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Some ideas for SACD...
I like Acoustic Sounds a lot. They also do great SACDs themselves because Chad Kassem is a great blues fan. They also go all out on recordings with top engineers and a simple audiophile recording chain.
Chesky Records is also selling SACDs by phone and on the web. They have some great ones out like Rebecca Pidgeon The Raven and Ana Caram Blue Bossa Nova.
:)
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks