For Me and My Gal -- censored??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steve Armbrust, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Second Unit

I just watched the new DVD of "For Me and My Gal" and I noticed that during the scene in which Gene Kelly is in Marta Eggerth's private train car and she is at the piano singing to him, whenever there's a close up shot of her (with her skimpy dress), the breast area is extremely fuzzy, as if someone wanted to hide certain anatomical details. The rest of the scene is in focus, just not the breast and cleavage area.

Does anyone know if this fuzziness was in the original picture? If so, is there a story behind it? I can't believe Warner Home Video would purposely do this.

2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Can you do a screen cap?

3. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Yes, absolutely!

Never mind, based on additional data provided below. Interestingly, however there is a total absence of film grain in the are that still seems to point to a more current process.

Ted

4. Ben_D

Ben_D Agent

Wait....I've had the VHS for years, and I've always noticed this "fuzziness" as well. I don't have any definite information, but I always assumed if there was any censoring going on, it was at MGM in 1942...

5. RichardCrowther

RichardCrowther Stunt Coordinator

I believe the soundtrack CD liner notes for this film specifically mention this curiosity, and do indeed state that it was censorship performed at the time of the initial release, IIRC, so it has always been there.

Haven't things come a long way since then [​IMG] .

6. BarryRR

BarryRR Agent

We'd still like to see a screen cap. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Yes, we would.

8. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I just emailed John Fricke with this.....I should hear back sometime tonight, and I will give you guys the official response to this.

9. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

John responded and here is the official word:
    "The glazing of Miss Eggerth's cleavage was done in 1942....today it wouldn't raise an eyebrow."

So the change was made before the original theatrical release. Hope this helps!

10. BarryRR

BarryRR Agent

Now we really want to see the cleavage--glazed or not. [​IMG]

11. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

From what I could see, it didn't look all that impressive. She must have been the director's girlfriend (gr).

12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Marta Eggerth was married to singing partner and opera great Jan Kiepura, who passed away in 1966. I doubt very much that she was in a relationship with Mr. Berekely.

AFAIK, Ms. Eggerth, who would be 92, is still with us.

RAH

13. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

Yes, according to the fine John Fricke commmentary track on FOR ME AND MY GAL, he indicates that Marta Eggerth is not only still alive, but also still occasionally performs, having recently done some (October '03) in New York City.

Since this is the only place on HTF where FOR ME AND MY GAL has been brought up (no review yet that I noticed), let me say that it is a great film that holds up very well, and as usual, Warner's presentation of it is truly first-rate. Judy Garland is phenomenal in the picture (she was barely 20 when it was made), and Gene Kelly makes a film debut in a role that is different from his later screen roles...more of a heel similar to his PAL JOEY performance on Broadway.

I recommend this disc enthusiastically to all classic film enthusiasts.

14. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

RAH My comment about Ms. Eggerth above was intended in fun, not to be taken seriously. The blurring of her front at that point didn't seem to make much sense to me. Just previous to that scene there were similar photo's of Ms Eggerth that were quite sharp. I do agree that it is a thoroughly enjoyable picture and Judy Garland did look great.