What's new

For Me and My Gal -- censored?? (1 Viewer)

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I just watched the new DVD of "For Me and My Gal" and I noticed that during the scene in which Gene Kelly is in Marta Eggerth's private train car and she is at the piano singing to him, whenever there's a close up shot of her (with her skimpy dress), the breast area is extremely fuzzy, as if someone wanted to hide certain anatomical details. The rest of the scene is in focus, just not the breast and cleavage area.

Does anyone know if this fuzziness was in the original picture? If so, is there a story behind it? I can't believe Warner Home Video would purposely do this.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Yes, absolutely!

Never mind, based on additional data provided below. Interestingly, however there is a total absence of film grain in the are that still seems to point to a more current process.

Ted

Ben_D

Agent
Wait....I've had the VHS for years, and I've always noticed this "fuzziness" as well. I don't have any definite information, but I always assumed if there was any censoring going on, it was at MGM in 1942...

RichardCrowther

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the soundtrack CD liner notes for this film specifically mention this curiosity, and do indeed state that it was censorship performed at the time of the initial release, IIRC, so it has always been there.

Haven't things come a long way since then :) .

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I just emailed John Fricke with this.....I should hear back sometime tonight, and I will give you guys the official response to this.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
John responded and here is the official word:
"The glazing of Miss Eggerth's cleavage was done in 1942....today it wouldn't raise an eyebrow."

So the change was made before the original theatrical release. Hope this helps!

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
From what I could see, it didn't look all that impressive. She must have been the director's girlfriend (gr).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Marta Eggerth was married to singing partner and opera great Jan Kiepura, who passed away in 1966. I doubt very much that she was in a relationship with Mr. Berekely.

AFAIK, Ms. Eggerth, who would be 92, is still with us.

RAH

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Yes, according to the fine John Fricke commmentary track on FOR ME AND MY GAL, he indicates that Marta Eggerth is not only still alive, but also still occasionally performs, having recently done some (October '03) in New York City.

Since this is the only place on HTF where FOR ME AND MY GAL has been brought up (no review yet that I noticed), let me say that it is a great film that holds up very well, and as usual, Warner's presentation of it is truly first-rate. Judy Garland is phenomenal in the picture (she was barely 20 when it was made), and Gene Kelly makes a film debut in a role that is different from his later screen roles...more of a heel similar to his PAL JOEY performance on Broadway.

I recommend this disc enthusiastically to all classic film enthusiasts.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit

RAH My comment about Ms. Eggerth above was intended in fun, not to be taken seriously. The blurring of her front at that point didn't seem to make much sense to me. Just previous to that scene there were similar photo's of Ms Eggerth that were quite sharp. I do agree that it is a thoroughly enjoyable picture and Judy Garland did look great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks