What's new

Font question: (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

This is one of the Mackintosh fonts. I was wondering if there are any free versions or knock offs out there? Anyone seen a font similar to this? Know where I might find one?

-V

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I just went through all my fonts (I have thousands) and didn't see anything similar to this. Sorry, I tried. Do you know the name of that font?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

Either- but PC would be better.

Paul,

I'm not sure I'm a huge fan either- my best friend of 16 years is getting married, and I promised to help him DIY his invitations... and this is a font they were hoping to use, or something similar. The budget is low, thus the DIY invites, but they still want to do something as nice as they can...

-Vince

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Hurm, isn't fancy, formal script fonts the accepted standard for wedding invites?

Aw heck, it's their wedding, after all. Wish them my best.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
You're quite welcome, Vince. I'm something of a font nut - have close to 500 installed on my work PC, and close to that at home. Enough of a nut that I have problems reading some books because I hate the typeface used so much!

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

Please tell me you're not one of those that can't distinguish between typefaces (if you're gonna be an enthusiast, don't use the word font*) made for show, for headlines and for body text. *teasing*

The vast majority of books use perfectly serviceable fonts for body text. Not that much has changed since Gutenberg's time (or rather Guttnberg was a very smart man and his work left little room for further improvement when it comes to the readability of large chunks of text on a printed page).

*A "font" is a typeface of a particular size. The word "font" was originally used for computer typefaces because there were separate files for each size of each typeface and thus "font" was the correct word to use. Now that we have one file that can produce text of any size, "typeface" is the better word. Just to reiterate, "Twelve point Palatino" is a font, "Palatino" is a typeface.

Yes, I'm anally retentive, why do you ask? :)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

It really depends on what you mean as "servicable." What I meant in my original post was that the style of the typeface can be off-putting for me.

An example, though it might be meaningless to you, is the type used in the George R R Martin series of fantasy books. Perfectly readable, clear and nothing difficult about it. But it just feels too "modern" for a fantasy series, compared to the type used in Robert Jordan's or Tad William's books. NONE of them used true medieval types or anything like for the text; but the text in Martin's books just feels really modern, enough that it took me a while to get past it and into the book.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
The "look" only matters in headline typefaces and novelty typefaces. In body text the primary criteria is readability. Every other consideration is a distant second at best.

I would be bothered by someone using a sans-serif typeface in a novel for body text, but my concern there has more to do with readability. Serif fonts are perfect for when you have very high text density. Sans serif should be reserved for headers or for when you have generous amounts of white space to work with (e.g. magazines, web pages) or when you're stuck with low resolutions (e.g. web pages, PDF files).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks