What's new

Floorstanding tower speakers for rear channels in 5.1? (1 Viewer)

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I have moved to a new house and had to leave the in-wall speakers at the old house. Any comments on using some full-range tower speakers for the rear channels in DD 5.1? I am tempted to do so because the surround channels are full-range in 5.1. But I also know that most people use smaller wall-mounted speakers, and that many of the speakers designed for rear surround do not radiate sound directly from the front of the speaker. Any suggestions? What are the pros and cons? Thanks for any help.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
It would seem to me that, if you have the room for them, full range speakers in the rear would be preferable to satellites.
A downside could be if you move to 7.1 fitting 4 towers in the back of your room, with their attendant cost and size.
However, I prefer direct radiating speakers in the rear, so that is my bias...
Robert

NathanP

Supporting Actor
I use some big tall Sony Towers (see my website for details)
I love them and would NEVER go back to satillites.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I have towers in the rear as well and they are the way to go if you have the room. They really come in handy with DVD-A or SACD which send full range signals to all channels(although the ICBM can change that). Go with towers if possible. Just my opinion.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Yes, many people use towers in the rear since DD/DTS is full bandwidth in the surrounds. Dipole/Bipole surrounds would be best like the Def Tech tower but then you're talking some serious $$$. I'm sure they sound great though.

JohnZ

Agent
I have a question about the placement of the tower speakers as rear. As far as I know, the basic principle is that place your rear speakers at least as high off the floor as your ear height when you're standing. Do you guys actually raise the height of the rear tower speakers or just let them stand on the floor?

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
I have Paradigm Ref.40s for my rear speakers (same speakers as mains) and I have them raised 2inches higher than the mains ... to get the tweater just over the couch.

Raine Linton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering adding a sub to my rear speakers and running them as full range, crossing the sub at about 50hz. My only concern is the amount of LFE info. that is sent to the surrounds.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Consider the Mirage OM-10's, if you can still find them. They are bi-polar towers with a 1" tweeter and 6" mid/woofer on each side.

I have 4 Mirage OM-10's ( one in each corner) and an SVS 25-31 cs Subwoofer. I have the OM10's set to small and let the SVS handle all of the low end. The sound is phenomenal for music AND DVD! Try to locate used or closeout OM-10's on the Tweeter Etc. Website. That is where I got mine for a great price.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have towers also in back, and could not go back to small ones.
IMO, no reason *not* to get full range speakers back there unless it's a cost, size, or placement issue.
I have bipolars all around, and suggest that this type of speaker might be slightly better than direct radiators for rears. (You might get too much localization.)
I have them on the floor, same as the fronts.
Before, I had small dipoles up high. My perception is: before I was underneath the soundfield. Now, I am in it.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks