What's new

Fists of Fury & The Chinese Connection: Anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
The original soundtrack should always be an option. If somebody chooses to watch a dubbed film, that is fine. I just don't like it when the original isn't included so that and the only release is an English dub.

Matt

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
THIS IS A PERSONAL GUESS< BASED ON THE AVAILABLE FACTS, AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS ABSOLUTE FACT UNTIL SOMETHING IS PROVEN EITHER WAY

It should be noted that the famous Hong Kong directors like Stephen Chow are being paid off by the US distributors. Mr. Chow was BEGGING Disney not to cut and dub-only his film,Shaoilin Soccer, like they have dozens of other HK classics. All of asudden he shuts up, and has a deal from Disney to finance 2 pictures (including Shaolin Soccer 2) Gee, what do you think happened? A director who doesn't have a lot of bucks to play with in HK gets offered a high budget to use in exchange for shutting up.

It doesn't matter what the dialogue IS. Dubbing is Pan& Scanning an Actor's performaance, and don't pretend it's any different.

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
As far as losing "content" during the dub...come on, these are Kung Fu movies for christsake. It's hardly Shakespeare in any language.
(Now there's a nasty quote for an enthusiast to read) Very subjective and debatable. Let's just say there's some people who appreciate and respect the original content, language, filmmakers etc.. more than others. It's still no reason to go and ruin the original integrity of a film. Why don't you go try watching Crouching Tiger dubbed sometime and compare it with the subtitles. You'll see how different they are.

I know dubs can be fun novelties sometimes but I am a purist and ignoring the original is a crime. You haven't seen the real movie until you've heard it in it's original form.

Daryl,
Yep, it seem like megastar only has the Fist of Fury DTS one. I don't think there's a Universe version. There's just a universe of Big Boss. And why you shoppin' at hkflix? I think dddhouse.com is cheaper.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
James_M
And why you shoppin' at hkflix? I think dddhouse.com is cheaper.
LOL, I'm not. Just hkflix has more descriptive detail. :) I'm researching. I also want Wing Chun starring Michelle Yeoh and The Way of the Dragon a.k.a Return of the Dragon. Ya'll may call me crazy but I like these three(The Big Boss, Fists of Fury and The Way of the Dragon) more the Enter the Dragon. I just can't even imagine John Saxon as a Martial Artist. :D
I have or had no intent to offend anybody's opinions or choices in this thread or search for these movie titles. I tried watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in it's original language and subtitles. Alot of the time I didn't get to finish the sentence(s) and even when I did I spent the whole time looking at the bottom of the screen reading the subtitles and completely missed all the acting. I'm all for Original content, language and OAR and would love to be able to enjoy these films this way but it's just not gonna work for me since I don't understand Cantonese or Mandarine. I won't be able to enjoy the acting if I spend the whole time reading the bottom of the screen. Soooooo for this situation the best picture quality(OAR if possible) with english dubbing would be the appropriate choice me. :)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Matthew Brown,
What is that Girls with Guns mpg all about. It looks like clips from several movies. I see Cynthia Rothrock in one segment. Isn't that Girl in white jacket and pants with short black hair in the same movie(The Inspector Wears Skirts)?

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Daryl L -
Sometimes I do little commercials for HKFLIX.com. I had a Girls With Guns promotion on my site so I made a little trailer for it. I also like to get my friends' band exposure when I can.

Cynthia Rothrock was supposed to be at the local Chiller Theatre convention but she cancelled. I wanted to get some movies autographed so I can raffle them off to people who visit my site.

I believe the girl you are referring to is a very young Michelle Yeoh. She and Cynthia Rothrock were in YES, MADAM!. She is the one who smashes through the glass and beats up the two guys.

Matt

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As far as the dubbing issue. It always makes me laugh when I hear people say ignore the awful "english dubbed versions". The majority of these chinese movies are dubbed anyway in English or Chinese and the Chinese versions (mandarin or cantonese) are rarely dubbed by the original actors anyway. So what's the difference? At least with the English dubs you don't have to spend half the film reading the dialog.
A lot of the actors in Star Wars were dubbed with other actors voices. (Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, etc.) If someone re-dubbed Star Wars with those "actors" who dubbed those HK movies into English, would that be acceptable to you as well?

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
She is the one who smashes through the glass and beats up the two guys.
Yes thats the one. I'm not real familiar with asian films other than what I've seen on TV so wasn't familiar with the "Girls with Guns" phrase. But I think I'd like that Yes Madam movie also. Dang I wish my player was PAL & Region 2 compatable cause those UK versions are done right(Anamorphic & dd5.1 with english). Oh well, can't have everything my way. :)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Daryl -

The Region 0 import of YES MADAM! isn't too bad. The movie is good and has some odd comedic elements in it. Tsui Hark, diretor of ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA and many other movies plays a role in this one.

IN THE LINE OF DUTY 4 is a good one to get. It is directed and choregraphed by Woo Ping. Now he is most famous for the THE MATRIX and CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON. He also directed IRON MONKEY.

Matt

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
tried watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in it's original language and subtitles. Alot of the time I didn't get to finish the sentence(s) and even when I did I spent the whole time looking at the bottom of the screen reading the subtitles and completely missed all the acting. I'm all for Original content, language and OAR and would love to be able to enjoy these films this way but it's just not gonna work for me since I don't understand Cantonese or Mandarine
Practice makes perfect. You get better by doing. it takes me roughly 1/4 second to read a subtitle.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
I think Yes Madam is also called Police Assassins (if you want the killer HKL version), which I got the other day but haven't seen.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the input everyone. I've been planning to upgrade my old singal disc dvd player to Sony's new CX875P mega changer after christmas. Now I'm thinking of just getting the region free JVC 500. Either way I can't make a major purchase untill after christmas so this puts my Bruce Lee dvd purchase plans on hold untill then in order to get the right discs for the player I choose.

The mega changer would be of great help considering I'm paralized neck down and have to impose on someone to come in and switch my discs in the singls disc players. On the other hand being able to watch these movies in a good quality anomorphic transfer would be nice also. I'll give this alot of thought untill I'm ready to upgrade though. Again thanks alot for the replies and info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks