What's new

Fox Movietone newsreels and etc. (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Is there anywhere one can view old FOX movietone newsreels? or only the ones offered on FOX releases?

I'm looking for lots of things, but at the moment anything to do with a studio tour of 20th Century Fox studios. Really, I'm looking for a still photo or video of the 20CF studio in the 1940s.

Also, does anyone know of a video that talks about FOX and its Nitrate films of the 1940s, and how they got rid of them?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I wasn't sure where to post. If it's wrong, please let me know where to post it next time.

Thanks!

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
Is there anywhere one can view old FOX movietone newsreels? or only the ones offered on FOX releases?

I'm looking for lots of things, but at the moment anything to do with a studio tour of 20th Century Fox studios. Really, I'm looking for a still photo or video of the 20CF studio in the 1940s.

Also, does anyone know of a video that talks about FOX and its Nitrate films of the 1940s, and how they got rid of them?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I wasn't sure where to post. If it's wrong, please let me know where to post it next time.

Thanks!
I too wish they would release old newsreels totally intact with the start and end titles. Its an area thats really been neglected for years!

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
My disappointment was that many Fox Movietone Newsreels that were released on their DVDs lacked sound. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ive bought many different newsreels on DVD over the years and the quality of all of them have been bad. I just dont know why they dont leave them totally intact with the start and end logos. It would be heaven if they transfered original 35mm versions to Bluray.

I used to make up all the Fox and Australian newsreels at Fox New Zealand to distribute them all over the country every two weeks. The 35mm prints were brand new and in beautiful condition.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Robert Harris has talked about this a number of times in his reviews of classic Fox films. I never heard anything about it elsewhere.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ive bought many different newsreels on DVD over the years and the quality of all of them have been bad. I just dont know why they dont leave them totally intact with the start and end logos. It would be heaven if they transfered original 35mm versions to Bluray.

I used to make up all the Fox and Australian newsreels at Fox New Zealand to distribute them all over the country every two weeks. The 35mm prints were brand new and in beautiful condition.
There is so much history in those newsreels.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Many old newsreels were included as extras on classical musicals collections .. I have lots of these dvds. I remember that we screened the French newsreel in one cinema where I worked.

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
I have emailed Fox news and asked them since they are restoring 35mm newsreels to 4K why dont they transfer some to BD. I know what the answer will be!

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I have emailed Fox news and asked them since they are restoring 35mm newsreels to 4K why dont they transfer some to BD. I know what the answer will be!
I suspect the answer from Fox News will be "you have the wrong company". I presume the Fox Movietone assets were sold to Disney along with the rest of the Twentieth Century-Fox assets.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
There is so much history in those newsreels.
My uncle’s neighbor was Jesse Auerbach who was an editor of Fox’s Movietone newsreels. I was too young to appreciate his involvement. I was excited when I bought the special DVD edition of Cleopatra (63) and saw his name on one of the short features telling of the making of the epic. I believe it’s also on the blu-ray of the Egyptian epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks