What's new

First time hearing an SVS PCi (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I popped over to an HTF member's place to hear his brand spanking new 25-31PCi last night (Thanks Phil!). Needless to say, I am impressed. I don't feel it necessary to slather all over SVS about their performance, because it has all been said here many times before. I will say, that price for performance, this thing kicks serious arse. It moves a LOT of air and goes about as low as I expected it to. The roll off is less than I expected below 25Hz, but it is pretty forceful and clean all the way down to it's limit. It certainly does not want for power. Absolutely stunning for movies. Honestly, the subs that I have heard that compete with this sub cost right about twice the price MSRP. Good job guys :emoji_thumbsup:

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
John,

Thanks for the thumb(s?) up.

I was lucky enough to have one of the first two PCi's we made sent here to Colorado for a few days (about a month before pre-orders). Now mind you, I had the first full spec 25-31PC (our old powered cylinder) just about 18 months prior, and was pretty familiar with the PC concept, to say the least.

Even I was impressed with the PCi. The year Tom spent coming up with a wholescale remake of the woofer, not to mention the hundreds, if not thousands of hours spent on the PCi amp were immediately apparent. It's a perfect example of that saying..."the whole is greater than the sum of the parts".

I'm not sure SVS will ever declare a subwoofer "perfect" (certainly some folks don't care for the cylinder design for instance), but in terms of price and performance I can't think of anything to improve the PCi.

If there is a better $500 class subwoofer I'm not aware of it. An expertly designed and built "DIY" subwoofer could best it in total performance and cost perhaps (not if you tried to match fit and finish and kept track of your time though); but the tidy all in one package of the PCi concept, plus its good looks, durability and ease of use is something we are indeed proud to bring to you home theater and music enthusiasts out there.

You know who you are!

Only our upcoming PC-Plus line could serve to steal some of the PCi's thunder; but since it probably won't hit pre-order status until June, those snapping up the PCi's (in record numbers for any new sub we have numbers on) have what we feel is the industry's best price/performance ratio.

Again, thanks for the kind words. There are still quite a few folks patiently waiting (for the most part ;^) since both our primary woofer maker, and amp maker are ramping up production needed to match demand. Tom's crew has broken every benchmark we set in what we thought was a busy holiday season, just to make sure more of you can soon hear what guys like John and Phil already know.

Take care,

Ron

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Ron - When I was inquiring about my room vs. the SVS 25-31PCi 22Hz tuning issue, your emailed contained some of your noted experience above. So w/Tom recommendation to keep the default tuning and your comments made me feel 100% confident with my choice & purchase. Well, my REF Calibrated SVS 25-31PCi w/JBL has exceeded my expectation by 120%!!! :D
John - Thanks for your observation and comments. For those interested, we first started with, as John called them, Sub Bass Killer Music CD's he brought, one electronically composed, with content to < 20Hz, which sounded cool and I believe, if played in a car, would assist in the hydraulic bouncing! ;) I don't remember the name of the groups, so maybe John can list them for those interested in seeing what their Subs are made of!
The DVD clips viewed;
1) Obligatory Toy Story 2 - THX INTRO Trailer until Game Over
2) Jurassic Park III - Futile Take-off scene attempt until Spinosaurus vs. T-Rex dual
3) Titan A.E. - INTRO until Cale is a teenager
So John SVS time, where he experienced floor, couch, wall, & air moving exposure to the SVS 25-31PCi was about 45 mins. or so, ... basically enough time for him to provide his comments above.
Phil

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hehehe. The CDs I brought were a few of the ones I mentioned in the "music to test my sub" post. As I lovingly refer to them - sub killers or shameless bass ;) There had been a few times when I blew fuses with BT's stuff in my car. I miss my car sub. :frowning: (but I have a trunk now...)
The one track in particular was a b-side of BT's (Brian Transeau) "Godspeed (hybrid mix)". There's plenty more where that came from! :D Whenever anyone I know gets a new sub, I always bring that CD LOL...watch out Jeff :crazy:
I can't imagine something like an SVS setup in a car. Makes me remember the scene from Singles where Matt Dillon's character blows the windows out of his girlfriend's car :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks