Which SVS

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by David Willow, Jan 24, 2005.

1. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot

Dave
    Last year I purchased my first Home Theater. Due to budget limitations, and the fact that I bought everything at once, I opted for cheaper Fluance speakers and used my old Velodyne sub. Now it is time to upgrade. I'm starting with the sub and then new speakers. My budget limits me a SVS PCi sub. My question is which one should I try? I want the deepest bass I can get (for movies) but I need it to work well in my room.

My theater room is 18x11x8 feet. First, how will any of the PCi subs work in this room? Which one allow me to feel the bass drum in my chest and feel the car crash in the Forgotten as well as hear it? Will the 16-46 be loud enough?

Thank you for your time.

[​IMG]

There are pictures of my current setup at My Home Theater Page

2. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

I think any of the PCI's would do the trick. Obviously the 16-46 would go the lowest and I believe that the 25-31 would have the greatest SPL's. From what I see most opt for the 20-39. It gives you the depth you want while maintaining high SPL's. I think any of the PCI's would work in your room but I think the 20-39 would best serve your needs.

Greg

3. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Hi Dave,
    Not sure if you are interested in the PB10isd. I purchased it as a toy and I am trying to sell it. It is an excellent sub but having 2 PCUltras I don't think I am going to miss it.

let me know if you are interested. It is posted on home theater spot dot com in the Yardsale forum.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A 16-46PCi will crush your skull in a room that size. So a 20-39 should be plenty [​IMG] Note too that these sub will be about 5x the size of your current sub.

You don't hear ~16Hz, you feel it.

I've heard the 25-31PCi in a room about 2x the size of yours and it was still pounding out the bass.

5. David Willow

Dave

That's what I want to hear [​IMG] Reading the FAQ at the SVS website kinda made me think that the 16-46PCi may not be enough for room. I was leaning toward the 20-39PCi but just wanted a second opinion.

6. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

I have the SV20-39PC Plus in a room that's 16x24x8. I too went with my old Velo CT-10 up until about 2 weeks ago because of $$$$ and let me tell you something, it's incredible what a good sub sounds and feels like. It is simply amazing to feel the kick in the ribs or crack of a good thunder-clapper.....the 20-39 is not the cheapest sub around but after a lot of reading and wondering if I was spending money that I wasn't going to appreciate....forget it. Just buck up and buy it....nuff said.

I am a not affiliated with SVS...just a believer! Even the wife, who routinely rolls her eyes at me with this obsession was like "Holy Bleeeep.....that's incredible!" This was after she complained for over a year how the old sub just boomed and gave her headaches after a while. Now she's looking for good movies with some deep bass.....gotta laugh!

Cheers and enjoy your sub...you will wonder why you didn't buy one earlier.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

If it were my decision, I would go with the 20-39. It will crush your scull on more material.>(Seems to be the terminology in this Thread)[​IMG]

It will go plenty deep and have the extra headroom due to the higher tune. 20Hz tune is still plenty low with the added 2-3hz of in-room gain/extension. It will play louder on 97% of the material also. The 25-31 will go louder yet but give more up down low. When I had 3 25-31CS+'s I could peel the paint off the walls if I wanted[​IMG] As you know sound is just as important as spl so Quality of sound is a given with SVS imo. Hard to go wrong.

20-39 seems to be just the right mix for most.

What Velodyne do you run David? I used to run a couple.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

LOL [​IMG] I just threw that in there for laughs. I have a friend who has a DIY Sonosub fed by a 1000w Crown tuned to 17.5Hz and my skull was not crushed, but my jaw was on the floor.

My room is pretty close to that size (~19x20x14vaulted ceiling) and the PB-10 is doing quite well. It doesn't move as much air as the 25-31, but it still gets the point across very effectively.

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hey John,

Hope I didn't come across as condescending? I really didn't mean to I assure you.

No! I thought it was great. Truth is I'm a bass-head and if whatever sub I'm running cant put a fair amount of pressure on my scull and sound good doing it, then I don't want it.[​IMG]

10. David Willow

Dave

I have the CT-80. It is 8 inch, 130 watts, and goes down to an incredible 35Hz. No one has to fear for their skulls in my house........yet [​IMG]

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Well your definitely making a big leap foreword David. Wish I would have went that rout. Would have saved big-time doing so.

Just to give you a little idea what to expect if you go the SVS rout> When I compared my dual ct-150's to one 25-31CS+, They didn't even come close to what the CS+ offered in the lower Frequency material and thats the 25-31. In the higher FW material, the CS+ would keep up with them in max out-put and sounded much better doing so imo.

12. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I emailed Tom & Ron @ SVS describing my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/family room, ... HT priority, Jazz music preference and was satisfied with their recommendation,... so I pre-ordered (FEB. 2002 ) my SVS 25-31PCi (Arrived APR 2002)!!!

That was the best investment I've made!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

After REF Calibrating, since day-one, ... the SVS 25-31PCi moves the air, floor, couch, chairs, wall and pant-leg when the encoded LFE calls for that sub-sonic impact!! [​IMG]

Tonight, @ -10 dB below REF Level (fast LFE peaks = 106 dB), watching some selected scenes from Pearl Harbor easily demonstrated all-the above LFE sensations. Some of that pant-leg air movement started as low as 93dB - measured @ my 'sweet spot' approx. 12.5' from my SVS 25-31PCi (RS Meter Dial = 100 / Weight = C / Speed = FAST)

After reading all the recommendations here, email Tom @ SVS ([email protected]) with your ???'s and see what he says.

So, pick the SVS PCi that fits your budget, ... you won't be disappointed with your choice!!!

Phil

13. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

Hey, Steve...rather than skull crushing, how about TESTICULAR FORTITUDE instead? That's definitely what I get with the 16-46 octet and B4s. [​IMG]

Btw, I also second your advice; he should settle for a 20-39; is the best compromise under the circumstances... [​IMG]
    -THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

14. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

David:

Just for the record, I know you stated that your budget limits you to the PCi line, but trust me.....it's no limitation at all [​IMG] Especially considering the size of your room, you'll be very pleased. With that said, I'd probably agree with the 20-39 recommendation. Though I have to admit, the 25-31 PCi is my personal favorite. I've had both of them and they are both pant leg movin, hair blowing, skull crushing (had to get that in there, right?) bad-ass pieces of audio gear that will make your jaw drop.

I think the reason the 25-31 is my personal favorite is because it appears to have a Napoleon complex about it.....Physically it's the smallest, but there were times at the end of a movie where I felt like it had literally tried to kick the crap out of me from way over in the corner, even though I was innocently sitting on the couch at the time. Not in a belligerent sense, mind you......more along the lines of "I KNOW you didn't think I'd kick your ass this bad when you ordered me....did ya". Almost as if it enjoyed crushing my skull......Anyway, the 20-39 gets the job done with a little less attitude. Either one would be a great choice, IMHO.

15. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

My room is almost identical to yours. . . I used a passive 2039 for 2 years driven by various amps ending with an Adcom GFA-565 mono block. WOW!! I dont think I ever really leaned on it but at times the grin factor took over. I am buying a new PB12-Plus/2 this week to replace it not because the 2039 cant cut it but just because I want too. . .

16. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Looks as though you have more than plenty willing to spend your $$ for you David[​IMG]

Just to add to the mix yet again. If you would have included the 25-31PC+ to the options, that is what I would go for personally for the reasons AlanZ states. I've always thought it was under-rated. One mean sub I tell ya.

>>>Hey, Steve...rather than skull crushing, how about TESTICULAR FORTITUDE instead? That's definitely what I get with the 16-46 octet and B4s.

17. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

>>>Well you have to be getting something out of a rig like that and I'm sure it's more than bass If I were to ever come over to your house and come in the door and see kleenex lying all over> I'm making a B-line back to the car.

18. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

He's the Sultan of Subs!

Yip! Thats Frank Manrique! License to run subs.[​IMG]