My first SVS experience....yet another positive PCi review

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Marcel_V, May 16, 2004.

1. Marcel_V

Marcel_V Stunt Coordinator

I recieved my 25-31PCi last week (tuned to 22), and gotta say, after getting it all setup, it was as great as I had hoped/heard it would be.

The first couple days I had it, I was getting a bit frustrated coaxing the best settings out of it in my room - was having some problems finding the spot I liked best (both accoustically and visually), and then matching a phase/gain/level setting to it. I have to say, I was a little nervous and underwhelmed when I was first hearing it....just didnt hit me like I thought it would. My room is a square (15x13), so I was having some nullification problems I think.

However, after getting my sweet spot found, and spending time with the phase control (I finally settled on about the 90 degree position), I was floored when I watched my first movie with it. Powerful deep bass, that was ultra-realistic.

The most impressive thing about it in my opinion was how its nearly impossible for me to localize it in my room. I have it in a corner next to my couch...about four feet from me, and I was never able to use my old sub in that position, because it was so darn annoying how I could hear/feel the bass coming right from that spot. Not the SVS, I set my jbl's at 80hz and don't even notice the sub in the corner.

I figured new buyers could use this experiance. Hang in there, and work that SPL meter when setting up...its been beat to death in this forum, but invest time and care when setting up, and you will be rewarded [​IMG]

2. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

Btw, I also have SVS 20-39PCi. What is the use of Phase(0-180) knob? What about the switch which is Auto/ON, what is it for?

Thanks.

Ronneil

3. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Phase allows better blending with mains at the crossover point. Adjust for strongest bass. (Test tones work well here but music is good too).

Auto/On will allow the sub to turn on with a signal. When it senses no signal, it turns off. I found that when listening to non bass heavy classical music (a cappella vocals for example) it often turned off, so I leave it in the on position and have it triggered with my processor and power strip.

4. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

My phase is set to 0 now. What should I try to notice the difference?

Thanks Tony.

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Adding to Tony's comment, ... I've set my SVS = AUTO ON since April 2002, and unlike some other sub's I've own w/AUTO ON feature (4 other powered subs), the SVS AUTO ON circuit is seamless & super quiet. The other sub's circuits would click or pop on.

Phil

6. Ernesto_G+

Ernesto_G+ Extra