What's new

First Time DIY Sub Project .... One suggestion needed. (1 Viewer)

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Well, I don't have much time to make a post but I'll go ahead and do it anyways. I finally got the sub built yesterday afternoon. It wasn't until the evening when I had found a chance to impliment it into my HT. After a quick 10 minute setup and rough calibration (by ear) I fired up my daughters favorite movie, Scooby Doo: The Movie. Right away I noticed some nice LFE I've never heard before (and I've seen this movie at least 50 times). After my daughter had settled down and finished her movie, I quickly threw in the new bass reference test, Matrix Revolutions. This is where my jaw almost hit the floor. I was thinking, "OMFG!!!!!!". The entire movie seems to be filled with stuff on the 15-20 hz range (just guessing). I never before have felt my floor shake so hard. I couldn't actually hear any bass at all, I could only feel everything around me shaking like a SOB!!!. I am sooooo impressed thus far. Thanks to everyone for your help and support. For $400 I feel like I have a hella sub. I'll write up a more in depth review when I have some time tonight!

Update: Just finished watching Finding Nemo and I'm speechless ........

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Results like that make you forget all about the hurdles that needed to be cleared to finish up your own homemade subwoofer.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Wow, after a full day of watching movies, this Tempest seems to be sounding better, almost going "lower" than the day before ..... Is this logical ? Do subs need to be "broken in" too ? There is alot less emphasis in the mid bass frequencies it seems as well (which to me is a good thing).....

Anyways, it's sounding great :).

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
OHHHHHHHHH...this is what i'm waiting, to hear someone experience, how this tempest sub perform and overcome expextation.I always search this forum over and over for this kind of thread, and finally I found a fresh one.I want also to experience this kind of impression.
I'm also going to build this tempest in "AA" design but it will be sooner.My sub stuff(tempest and plate amp) is not yet here(Philippines).I'm very glad that someone in this forum made this thing happen to me.He already buy the stuff and guess what, he send me a pictures of it.I feel so excited, i can't beleived that was mine(but until i paid it :D ).Many thank's to you, people.

edit,
how about some music experience with the sub from jazz,hip-hop,classic,rock music.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
I haven't really listened to any audio cd's yet so I can't really give you my thoughts on music performance. I however, listened to the entire U2 - Live in Boston DVD (Dolby Digital 5.1) last night and it sounds amazing. I have been really missing out on some very realistic bass/drums until now :) ....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks