What's new

First Time DIY Sub Project .... One suggestion needed. (1 Viewer)

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Ok, I'm in dire need of a sub in my system and I've finally decided to go the DIY route for the following reasons:

1- I don't have alot of money ATM and I'm very bad at saving money. Buying parts and constructing the sub as I get extra money is much easier for me.

2- Right now fishing (my "hobby") is slow and I need a project to keep me busy over the next few weeks/months until the fish in my local river get more active :).

3- I would really like to learn to use tools better and be more constructive.

4- I love the thought of making a sub because if done right, it'll give me a real sense of pride (unless I screw up horribly) :).

5- My sub will be one of a kind (not really but you get the point) and my friends that own Nuance powered speakers will be sooooo jealous :).

Anyways, since this is my first project I thought I'd follow a relatively easy DYI tutorial by Ron:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...tember-99.html

Now, I have no problem getting access to the tools and parts (thanks Dad and Home Depot :)). Only problem is choosing the right driver for the enclosure ...... The driver Ron suggest is no longer being sold it seems ...... I also noticed that SVS is selling their ISD driver on their web site for $129 USD. Would I be able to buy the ISD driver and use it for the enclosure ?

I probably won't be able to purchase a powerful amp until after the project is done. For very minor testing could I just use my old Kenwood AVR ? It's 125W x 2 @ 8 OHMs ...

Anyways, thanks in advance for any feedback you guys provide. I'm gonna head down to Home Depot tongiht and see what size of Sonotube they carry and start out making the enclosure ...

I'm excited !! :D

P.S. - I'm hoping for a 16hz tune ..... so what modifications do you think I'll need to make to Ron's DIY Sonotube guide ? Thanks in advance :)

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Hi! I would have to suggest a Shiva from Adire Audio. You can pick them up for $125 new shipped and they can definitly rock. If you can spent a little more then you could step up to a Tempest for $150 shipped. those would be the 2 drivers that I would consider if I were building for the first time.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Plus, the SVS is a single-voice-coil driver, while the Shiva and Tempest are dual-voice-coil drivers, and thus, both channels of the amp could be used, which is not an option with the SVS driver.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit

Excellent suggestions guys!:emoji_thumbsup:

I never knew you could hook up both channels to a single driver. That's great! Maybe my Kenwood amp will suffice for the time being (with both channels hooked up totalling 250 Watts).

What's the benefit of going to a Tempest instead of a Shiva ? Remember, I'm aiming for a 16 tune at maybe 90 db (or more but I'm not really a fan of cranking things to the point of fatiguing my ears).

Chris Brock

Second Unit
here is a link to both..............

Shiva
http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/...dire/shiva.htm

Tempest
http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/...re/tempest.htm

The tempest will without doubt give you the capability of more extension as well as alot more output. If you are not the type of person who listens to things loud then the Shiva might be a good fit you for although it will be pushing it to put a Shiva in an enclosure tuned to 16hz. I just completed a Tempest in the Adire Alignment for another member here. It is tuned to around 15.5hz. You can see it here..........

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=195832

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Joe,

I used an old Kenwood receiver (100W/ch - though, in reality, probably less) as an amp for my Tempest-based sub for a few months. It worked great up until I blew a channel. And, frankly, it still worked pretty well even just on one channel. I replaced it with the 250 plate amp over at Parts Express. It gives all the headroom I'll ever need (probably) and with the benefit of a sub-sonic filter.

Adire Audio has alignment suggestions and blueprints at their site for both the Shiva and the Tempest.

2.5L displacement on the Tempest vs. 1.5L on the Shiva.

The Shiva may be enough to accomplish your goals, depending on the size of your room.

Also, I don't know about in Canada, but in the U.S., Home Depot doesn't carry sonotube bigger than around 10 or 12 inches. You may need to find a construction supply company or a cement company to fine sonotube in the 18 to 24 inch variety.

Happy DIY'ing!

JKS

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
OK, I'm gonna shell out the extra $$$ and order the Tempest. I didn't know the bloody thing was 15" !!!! Damn that driver is a beast! Using the 15" driver I don't think I can follow Ron's guide so I'm gonna use this one instead:

http://members.optushome.com.au/wcallen/

I love the look of cylidrical subs. Anyways, thanks for all of the help guys! I'll post my progress in this thread as I go on :).

:emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Thanks, looks like a very detailed guide. I'm gonna try making a "sock" eventually. That silver looks like ass :). heh

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Well, I did the first step and ordered the Tempest driver and dual input cup for bi-wiring from Creativesound.ca. The total came to $232.50 CND after shipping and taxes. Funny thing is it costs $1.00 to ship the driver and $5.00 for the binding post ...... wtf is up with that ? :)

I'm having a hard time finding 24" sonotube but I think I'll have better luck today since all of the bigger concrete companies are open (gonna call during business hours this time :)).

Wish me luck!!! :D

EDIT: Bob from creativesound.ca just sent me an email and I guess shipping is included in the price of most Adire subs. Frickin' eh!!! :)

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
OK, Sonotube is too hard to come by here in Edmonton. All I can get is large 12 ft lengths and I can't afford it (or transport it). I basically need to go for a cube design using MDF. I'm not a fan of the rectangular subs though. Does anyone know of any good Tempest guides for a perfect cube sub ?

I'm very new to DYI audio and really need to follow a guide :). Thanks guys :)

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Hey Joe,
Check out http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/tempest_apps.htm

These are the plans for the Tempest. The mid Q sealed Tempest design might fit your needs. It is a two foot cube. I picked the EBS design for efficiency and extension. The Tempest is a great driver, you will be happy with it. I have ordered a bunch of stuff from CSS, great service, prompt delivery.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm gonna try to find a paper tubing company here in Edmonton tommorow because I really have my heart set on the cylidical design. After tomorrow if I don't find anything then I'll buy some MDF and start working on the Mid Q Tempest design.

One other question. If I follow the SBB4 design, will it rival some of the SVS PC+ subs ? I plan on picking up a Behringer EP1500 amp to power the sub. Here's a link to the local store I plan on buying it from:

http://www.axemusic.com/Product.asp?pname=EP1500

EDIT: After looking at all of the Tempest reference designs I've finally decided on an attractive, small, yet powerful vented SBB4 design. I'm not even gonna look for sonitubing tomorrow. I'm just gonna head down to Home Depot and find some MDF or Marine Plywood and start this project. Now that I've finally decided on a design, I can round up all of the tools I'll need from friends and family :).

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Ok, I'm picking up the MDF from Home Depot today.

I had two questions before I start the building process.

1 - The SBB4 design calls for a pair of FP3 flare kits with a 5" long center tube. Can I simply buy some 3" PVC pipe and flare the plywood port hole with a router (of course I'd have to double up the MDF for the bottom cap to do so) ? Also, a 5" long pipe seems short, am I reading it wrong ?

2 - I really like the look of SVS base plates w/ their box subs. Would it be a disadvantage to add a base plate for the Adire SBB4 design ? If I can get away with making a base plate, is there a particilar material and texture I should use to finish it ?

Once again, I really appreciate all of the help you guys are giving me. I don't know what I would have done thus far with out the hometheaterforum :).

Chris Brock

Second Unit
the flared ports will help with port noise. inorder to really get the full benifit you need to have flares on both end. there are also some flared port kits avialable at www.partsexpress.com that are cheeper so you might want to take a look at those.

as far as the length of the ports go, when you add the flared section of the port to the center tube you add 5" to the total lenght of the port. so when they say you need a 5" center tube you are actually creating a 10" long port.

now for a baseplate you shouldnt notice any changes really in the performance of the sub. so if you like the looks then i would say go for it. there also should be no special finishing that will need to be done to this piece. just finish it however you finish the rest of the box.

hope this helps!

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
No, pony up the dough for the FP3 flares. That sub was designed for them. Stick to the Adire plans and you will be happy in the long run.You can get them from CSS aswell

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
shitty deal. it's gonna cost $50+ just for the ports ... :frowning:

I guess if I gots no choice then I gots no choice.

minhG

Stunt Coordinator
joe,

try to keep things in perspective, you're still saving a ton by doing it yourself.

i'm in the same boat and i haven't even bought the ports yet, i'm sure it will take me 2-3 weeks just to get the box built/pieced together. stay excited about the process!

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Oh I'm excited. I haven't been sleeping all that much as of late (day dreaming about the sub :)). It's just that I don't have the $50 right now and I don't wanna wait another week until I get my pay cheque. Oh well, I gotta be patient. Being excited is no problem! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks