What's new

First LCD...now what? (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Picked up my first LCD this evening...a Samsung LN46A850. I probably won't get around to unboxing it until Sunday, since I have to put together a new stand for it first. I have Comcast coming Wednesday to install CableCards in my TiVo HD. I guess the question is...should I do anything early on? Pick up an HD calibration disc? I assume these sets don't need any sort of a break in period like plasma sets?

troy evans

Screenwriter
Definately get a calibration disc. DVE or AVIA are fantastic. To get started, you can use the THX Optimizer on any THX certified dvd. Star Wars dvds all have it. For me, the best is DVE HD Blu-ray. If you don't have Blu-ray, they make it for SD DVD as well. Hope this helps. As far as break in, you don't need to worry as much, but, you do need to be careful. Some say it does and some say it doesn't, but, LCD tv can be damaged by all the same things that cause "burn-in" on plasmas. It's just not as pronounced. Then again, if you have newer models of LCD or Plasma you may not have an issue with any of these problems. It really comes down to companies and technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks