What's new

First DIY sub (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hi,
I am curious as to wether I can build a sub for $500 (MAX) that will significantly outperfrom my existing Klipsch KSW-12 (good with HT but slow and overbearing with music. My room is 12 x 15). And also I would like to hear what 25 Hz sounds like
wink.gif

Would I be better of spending $500 of the HSU VTF-2? Would a $500 DIY sub outperform THAT ONE?
As you can see, I am new to all this :). But I am 4th year EE student so I think I can handle the electronics part. By the way, my price range would have to include an amplifier
frown.gif

Any ideas?
TIA
--
Holadem

Julian Data

Second Unit
What amp/power do you plan to use?
but yes, to your question as DIY subs depending on the config.. will beat majority of commercial subwoofers out there and I am talking in excess of 1G or higher.. Heck, if you do the big boy DIY subs.. start 5G and up
Julian

Paul Ward

Auditioning
Yes, I know that you can build a killer sub for under 500 bucks, because I did it!
You can build one for even less if you dont use PR's. A sonosub with either a a shiva, tempest, Titan, Stryke should be an improvement over your Klipsch.
I'm driving my sub with an older Carver TFM-35 bridged to 700 watts that I bought for 300 dollars or you can buy a dedicated amp built just for subs.
Long story short go for it!!!
Paul
My sub construvtion page
http://www.fastlane.net/~bakersur/tempest.shtml

Bill Read

Auditioning
To follow in the footsteps of Holadem,
I understand great performance can be had when building a DIY sonosub, but how will it compare to the fabled SVS?
In other words, would I be better off to build a tempest driven sonosub or purchase a prefab SVS subwoofer. Overkill does not exist in my world, I would rather have too much than not enough. With that said.
The wife is grudgingly buying into a 24" in sonosub at ~6' tall. Can I spec this type of water heater to have the potential to outperform the fabled 16-46CS?
Locally, I can only find 12' lengths of sunotube material. My thought process is this, buy a 12' tube, cut it in half and build two tubes with one Tempest per tube.
For power, thinking along the lines of a Mackie 1400i.
I know this has been beaten to death, but I don't want to spend my money and time if the SVS is a better deal. The DIY part I like, but in the end. I WANT BASS!!!
------------------
Bill Read
Link Removed
Bill's DVDs

Tom Fowler

Auditioning
There is little chance that a commercial subwoofer could compete with a DIY. If you are interested in a good subwoofer, I suggest looking at the Lambda SAL15PFPHN in a PR or ported enclosure.
The SAL15PFPHN motor is "extremely linear" (LDSG). See link for info. http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/motors.php3 http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/vendors/lambda.php3
The SAL15PFPHN is $199, the PRs are $45 each,(both from Stryke.com) the Apex Sr. is $225 (www.apexjr.com/Apexsenior.htm).
A good PR sub would be a 7 cF enclosure with the SAL15PFPHN and two SA-PR15-700 passive radiators. This setup gives you a F3 of 20.6 hz. I suggest using the Apex Sr. amp with 380 watts @ 4 ohms for a sub that would produce 120dB+ in room with clean sound. The PRs would put you over budget by about $90.
Ported would use the same size box with two 4" dia. 20.5" long ports. (or one 6" / 22" port)
A ported box with the Lambda and Apex would be about $500 but would outclass any commercial sub in that price range. The Pr version would be $90 more with about the same characteristics using two SA-PR15-700 passive radiators.
ps. I'm an EE principle engineer - comes in handy knowing filter circuitry for reconfiguring the subamp low pass cutoffs! And I thought I would never use laplace after college.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hum...
After doing a search on this forum I found some links which made me realize that I would probably not be able to undertake such a project in my current situation: I am a college student in NYC, I live in a room rented in an apartment. I have no tool except for screw drivers and I can't cut those huge Sonotubes in my room (with the dust and all, my equipement around, etc...).
frown.gif
. I would have really liked to do this, as I suspect the process of building the damn thing is as fun as the final result. I guess I will have to wait until I move or something...
thanks a lot for your input people :)
--
Holadem - NO I am turned off by the amount of work... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks