What's new

"Finished" my ht (1 Viewer)

Josh Meier

Agent
Finished is in quotes because I already have changes brewing (such as getting rid of the wallpaper and painting it a dark burgundy) :D

Anyway, you can see the pictures in my gallery here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/gall...=TheJohnnyFive

For Equipment:

Infocus X1
DaLite 110" pull down screen
Onkyo 501
Fluance SX-HTB
Velodyne HT12 subwoofer
Sony 400 Disc MegaChanger
Pioneer LaserDisc Player
Comcast HD DVR
XBox
GameCube

This is actually the second theater I have done, the first one was in a rental house where I couldn't do much... this one I can actually do what I want with it, which is why I will be building a wall to actually seperate the rec room and the theater.

If anybody has any suggestions I am willing to listen... I have lighting control going in in a week!

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Looks good!

My first suggestion was going to be to paint it darker, but then I re-read your post and see that that's in the works. My HT is a dark flat burgundy and I'm very happy with it. (I was especially happy when I got a 5 gallon bucket of the paint for $5.)

I'm curious as to why you've gone with floor positioning for the x1.

My theater seats are (or were) the same pinkish color as yours. I'm in the process of spray painting them with a gloss black. I'm not finished, but the parts I've done so far look great. Your seats look good now, but I'm not sure how they'll look once you paint the walls.

It might be nice to find a way to frame out your screen. Maybe add a small stage area? Maybe columns on each side of the screen? If you painted the portion of the ceiling in the screen area black, that might also help set off the area and reduce screen glare.

Edit: P.S. - Gotta love Fluance. Mine seem to sound better all the time.

Josh Meier

Agent
The floor positioning was done for 2 purposes:

1) My last theater had a ceiling mount and it was a pain in the ass because it kept shifting when people walked on the floor above, so I was always repositioning it.

2) The Wife. She didn't want the ugly thing hanging from the ceiling, so putting it under the riser solved that problem.

I like the idea of doing something to frame out the screen... maybe I will look for an inexpensive way to do some columns around the screen.. thanks!

And yeah, I am thinking I may end up spray painting the theater chairs... they are just such a bitch to move around.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Looks good. How tall & deep is your riser? Can people walk by if others are seated? Also, is the box on the end just to keep people from walking off or does it have storage space or some other purpose? Any construction details of the riser?

Thanks.

-Dave

Josh Meier

Agent
The risers were actually built quite some time ago and are 3/4" MDF with 2x6 reinforced support beams. The box on the end is actually part of the last riser section, which was done in an L Shape. These were originally constructed for another purpose and were re-tasked to this one, and the theater chairs were just a tad too long to do with it without the L shaped one, so that is the purpose of the box on the end. Eventually I want to put a peltier cooler in there and make it a refrigerated cup holder :D

The risers are just over a foot tall and are 4 1/2 feet deep. People can walk by if other are seated... barely. Generally people will have to stand up to let other pass, just like in a real theater :D

Josh Meier

Agent
Well, I got all of the wallpaper steamed off the walls, and on sunday I do some wall repair and then next week I can begin the painting process... I picked out a very dark burgundy which I think will look very cool against the lighter colored paneling on the buttom of the walls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks