What's new

Newbie Needs Help - Help Me Spend My Money (1 Viewer)

Patrick Walden

Auditioning
I admit it...I'm a newbie and don't know much. All I know I've gathered from this website. So any help I get is greatly appriecated!!! :)

Here it goes. I currently own a SONY DAV-S300. But it no longer has sound coming from the speakers. The unit was Ok and served it's purpose as our first system. We used it to both watch movies and listen to music. Not great but we were on a budget. Still are, but the budget is much bigger. $2500 or less.

Below I have begun an outline of what I think are good components, mainly based off what I read from this site. Please feel free to add what ever comments/help you have.

Speakers
Rocket by Onix Extremely Luscious Theater (ELT) $999.99
Are they that much better then the Rocket Tykes 5.1 Home Theater for $399? Also I like the Fluance SX-HTB which are around $249 but I would need help finding a sbuwoofer. Most likely the SVS Model 25-31PCi for $549.

Receiver
Denon AVR-3805 Refurbished $699.99 Any comments on refurb stuff? Bad idea? Doesn't matter?

DVD Player
Denon DVD-1910 $249.00

CD Changer
DENON DCM-280 REFURBISHED 5-Disc CD Changer Player $99

TurnTable (Optional but I do have lots of Vinyl)
Denon DP-29F $110

This puts me at roughly $2300 which is in my budget. Iwant to stay under $2500. I will add a TV in the spring when I get my bonus.

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS-I hope this is the right forum for this.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Can't help you out with the reciever or speakers, as I have no experience with those brands. I just wanted to chime in with a little advice. I personally wouldn't bother with a CD changer (it'll save you 100 bucks), and would just use the DVD player for your audio purposes. :)
I'm sure someone from here will be along soon with some helpful advice on your other questions.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I recommend to you that you copy and paste the relevant parts of this post to the appropriate forums.

(Example: The speakers to the speaker area, the receiver question to the receiver/amps forum, etc. etc. and so forth...)

You will have worlds more success and answers that way. ;)

I hopefully gave you something to chew on, but break this post down and send the parts to the appropriate areas and I think you'll be a lot more pleased with the amount of feedback you will receive.

Not a bad start, but we may able to help you get it done under 2 large and still be very pleased.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I think you have made some good choices. I would personally recommend a Sony ES all digital receiver. I have the 3000ES and it sounds fantastic.

One comment would be to not forget to budget for interconnects and cabling. You are buying nice stuff and you should set aside a few hundred for decent cables.

My personal favorites are Sound King 12 Gauge Speaker wire from Parts express and Blue Jeans cables for the rest.

John S

Senior HTF Member
ELT's sound pretty increadible with the Denon 3805...

I just got to hear this combo, last weekend. Extremely impressive audition it was. It was a halftime audition during the late NFL game, so not to much time was devoted to it.

Auditioned Attack of the Clones for DVD, and Al Dimeola's Kiss My Axe on music. I would almost rate the ELT's as the perfect match for the Denon. (Even better than my beloved JBL s38's in all honesty)

He was using a really cheapie DVD player too for both music and video/movies.

Patrick Walden

Auditioning
This is all great advice. I will post in each of the appropriate forums. Sounds like that will help also.
Thank you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks