What's new

Final decision has been made!! (1 Viewer)

FrankL

Grip
My new Mits 65511 will be delivered next Wednesday. Hooray!!
No more second guessing. Thats it. The research nightmare is over.
I had no intentions of getting a TV with an integrated tuner but I got it at a price that I am almost embarrassed to admit.
Now, what do I need to recieve HDTV signals? Obviously an antenna. Is it some kind of special antenna? Does this have to go on the roof? or will a table top version work? As you can see I am clueless about this. Any help will be appreciated

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
You need an antenna, in order to take advantage of the internal tuner.
There is no such thing as a "special" antenna which is capable of receiving HDTV. The old regular ones which have been around for decades actually work, and work fine.
This includes both rooftop antennas, attic antennas, and simple rabbit ear / set top antennas.
BUT... be aware. MOST of the HDTV signals are being broadcast on the UHF band, at least for the present. So, you probably need to make certain the antenna is a UHF antenna. There are exceptions, as well. I am in Chicago area, and one of the major stations is broadcasting their HDTV feed in the VHF spectrum. So, in a case like mine, I would buy an antenna which can do both VHF (the lower channels), and also UHF (the higher channels). This may or may not be true for you.
As to the question of small, set top antenna versus an attic install versus a rooftop install, this mostly depends on your distance to tne "towers" or the broadcasting antenna. I am 32 miles from almost all of the stations in my area, so I really need to go rooftop for a great reception.
Weakest reception = set top antenna;
Only slighly better reception = attic installation (and this can vary a lot depending on the antenna size, quality, etc.)
Best reception = rooftop installation, or even on a very high tower (rare, but some in rural areas go this route).
There are a couple of web sites you should check out. One is:
www.antennaweb.com
It will help you determine stations in your area which are broadcasting in digital TV (some of which will be HDTV). It will also help you select a "type" of antenna.
The other is
www.TitanTV.com
Register at this site. It is free. Then, you need to go to a page which lists YOUR OWN schedule of HDTV shows (in your area). Then, look for a link called: "Antenna Selector." It will actually select a particular model. Don't assume this is definitely the best choice. Use it as a guide, or a starting point. Use it for reference, but do not necessarily take it as gospel.
Hope this helps...
-Bruce in Chi-Town

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks