What's new

Film Noir = Black and White? (1 Viewer)

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the ignorance but I was just wondering what Film Noir meant. I know than Noir is black in french.
Later

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: film noir

Pronunciation: -'nwär

Function: noun

Etymology: French, literally, black film

Date: 1958

: a type of crime film featuring cynical malevolent characters in a sleazy setting and an ominous atmosphere that is conveyed by shadowy photography and foreboding background music; also : a film of this type

Regards,

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
There are many examples of film noir or neo-noir films which were shot in color ("Body Heat" being the best ot these in my humble opinion).

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
I've always taken it to mean the subject matter is what's dark, not necessarily the black and white print. Of course, black and white does induce a very dark effect on the audience, and some modern noir uses it for this reason (in addition to the fact that so many classic noir films are also B&W).
On the other hand, color films can be very effective as well, including Blade Runner. When I finally get around to seeing Body Heat I'll probably second that one as well.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Two of the best modern color noirs are John Dahl's "Red Rock West" and "The Last Seduction". One of my favorites from the 70s is "Farewell My Lovely" with Robert Mitchum as Philip Marlowe.

Regards,

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Some other vintage noirs (and noir-ish films) shot in color:

LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945)

NIAGARA (1953)

INFERNO (1953)

DRAGNET (1954)

REAR WINDOW (1954)

I DIED A THOUSAND TIMES (1955)

PETE KELLY'S BLUES (1955)

A KISS BEFORE DYING (1956)

THE UNGUARDED MOMENT (1957)

VERTIGO (1958)

EDGE OF ETERNITY (1959)

PEEPING TOM (1960)

THE KILLERS (1964)

BLOOD & BLACK LACE (1964)

COOGAN'S BLUFF (1967)

POINT BLANK (1967)

WAIT UNTIL DARK (1967)

THE BOSTON STRANGLER (1968)

BULLITT (1968)

MADIGAN (1968)

GET CARTER (1971)

DIRTY HARRY (1971)

THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE (1973)

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...ahh... add Walter Hill's 1978 The Driver to the titles listed above...
. . . . . .

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The Coen Brothers first feature, BLOOD SIMPLE, which has never been released on LD or DVD in its original theatrical presentation.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Parts of it might be considered noir, Mark. But, overall, it's more of a straightforward gumshoe mystery. IMO, of course.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
it's more of a straightforward gumshoe mystery
I don't think they're mutually exclusive. A lot of film noir classics involve a detective or someone forced into the role of one. L.A. Confidential, with its lush seediness and harshly cynical resolution, fits right in.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Not sure I'd agree with that interpretaton of the ending, Steve.

Bud White may end up with love and redemption, but he leaves. And the LAPD replaces one set of questionable leaders with another. (It's probably a minority view, but I don't regard Exley as a "good guy".) The players have changed, but not the corruption. And not even all the players; the creepy D.A. is still in power.

M.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Excellent points, Michael.
Certainly noirs don't have to end on down notes. While many noirs subject our protagonists to loss, or some physical stress; in many cases the hero manages to outwit the villain(s) and may develop a romantic interest in the process. Not an unhappy ending, by my reckoning.
For every Double Indemnity, Scarlett Street, or The Big Heat you may have a 99 River Street, The Set-Up or Kiss of Death.
And while some of the endings may not be 'happy' in the typical sense, there can be a sense of wisdom gained, or the resolution of conflict that provides our hero with some relief or hope for a better tomorrow. Which strikes me as being upbeat.
- Walter.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I'd put Dark City on that list as well. The smokey night club scene with Jennifer Connelly singing is an especially good example of this genre I think.
-Steve

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
And while some of the endings may not be 'happy' in the typical sense, there can be a sense of wisdom gained, or the resolution of conflict that provides our hero with some relief or hope for a better tomorrow. Which strikes me as being upbeat.
Except the ending of the movie A Better Tomorrow which ends up with tomorrow sucking pretty much like today! :D That would be HK noir, though.
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks