What's new

Fiddler On the Roof movie remake from director Thomas Kail (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
In 2019, Max Lewkowicz directed a documentary on the continuing legacy of Fiddler on the Roof. It was called: Fiddler: A Miracle of Miracles.

maxresdefault.jpg

It does a great job laying out the enduring themes which continue to bring audiences. The doc ends with this bit of information: "Since Fiddler On the Roof opened on Broadway on September 22, 1964...the show has been performed EVERY DAY...somewhere around the world."

The DVD of Fiddler: Miracle of Miracles is currently available on Amazon for $11.99. If you like Fiddler, do yourself a favor and see this documentary.

Besides clips of many different productions/casts (including Joel Grey's all-Yiddish production), there are interviews with Harold Prince, Jerry Bock, Sheldon Harnick (I went to college with his daughter!), Joseph Stein...and many, many more. It is really wonderful (despite one unfortunate segue into contemporary politics).

An all Yiddish production will be performed by the Australian Opera Company at the Sydney Opera House in the future.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
An all Yiddish production will be performed by the Australian Opera Company at the Sydney Opera House in the future.
I'm sure it's being modernized with Lazars ...
1590898429419.png

The last musical was such a critical success ...

1590899646530.png
...Not!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

They did that off-Broadway last year and it was extended a number of times. Joel Grey directed, and there is a cast album which preserved the performances.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Because it's not worn out? The themes and ideas in the story are timeless, even while it is rooted iin a very specific time period. It works on stage every time it is revived because the show is just that well-constructed.

I don't know if I personally would throw millions of dollars into a remake when the original movie is just about as close to perfect as it gets. However, I do think the material absolutely has the capability to speak to our current generation and our current times. It just doesn't need a remake to do that because the original still does.
Don’t get me wrong, the lessons and themes are timeless i’ll agree. What are totally worn out for me are the songs I’ve heard countless times, the story I’ve seen countless times, the clever sayings I’ve heard countless times, and the same dance routines I’ve also seen countless times. I’d have no objection to a continuation of the story, but can’t sit through a show again that I can almost recite myself. I also certainly have no objection to others seeing it, just not me!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I’d have no objection to a continuation of the story

That would be this:

Everything else you listed still work for me and for millions of other audience members. You're welcome not to see it, of course, but those are all enduring ingredients of what makes Fiddler something that will be returned to again and again and again.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Again, it has joined the ranks of “Music Man”, “Man of LaMancha”, “Annie Get Your Gun”, “Sound of Music” and others I can’t think of @ 12:52 a.m. that I have worn out.
My belief also, is usually when a movie is made of a show, that show is finished for me. What was the cliche? “Been there, done that, bought the soundtrack”. ;)

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
frankly, i have no problem with the original, classic WEST SIDE STORY and its casting. the discussion of Natalie Wood's ethnicity seems odd---no one seems to call for a remake of KING AND I as Yul Brynner wasn't Asian.
There are a number of reasons that nobody is calling for a remake of King and I, first and foremost being that the orientalism at its core has not aged well. The strict lèse-majesté laws in Thailand also present issues.

It's worth noting that the story was retold in a non-musical version in 1999 as Anna and the King, which looked beautiful but was otherwise not well received.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There are a number of reasons that nobody is calling for a remake of King and I, first and foremost being that the orientalism at its core has not aged well. The strict lèse-majesté laws in Thailand also present issues.

Well, it's not a "movie" in the sense of the original one, but the recent Broadway revival starring Kelli O'Hara and Ken Wantanabe was filmed when it transferred to London. It has been aired on PBS and is available for streaming on Broadway HD. I saw the production live on its U.S. national tour starring Laura Michelle Kelly and Jose Llana. I thought that production did a beautiful job investigating that piece for today.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Why?

(Also, whether you want to see it or not, "something's coming...")

Why? His movies for the most part are either popcorn entertainments or factual re- enactments. And all with nothing that reflects the artistry needed in a musical IMHO like the work of Coppola and Scorsese as a few example have as directors.
Also is this WSS still be a period piece from the 50’s when PR And white gangs on Manhattans West Side engaging in turf wars existed? Otherwise I can’t see it working. And if it is then this movie is going to be so misogynistic in its depiction of women for this Me2 era if done accurately.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Well i'm hoping it's a smash only so more musicals can made- but sounds like a bad idea to me ,to remake such a hilghy respected film classic. . We definitely don't need another Ben Hur remake or a Cats and on and on and on. It probable should have been done as a Live TV event like TSOM- there I can see re-interpretations going back to it's original source- Broadway.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
but sounds like a bad idea to me ,to remake such a hilghy respected film classic.

We've had this discussion before many times in the West Side Story thread, and I encourage you to join us there if you are so inclined. I really don't want to further derail this one, which is supposed to be about Fiddler.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Everyone should just remember: They only remake the films that worked really well. How otherwise will we have more films as good as Ishtar?

Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
no one has referenced the other musical remake that Thomas Kail is supposed to film: OLIVER!
somehow it has Ice Cube connected with it as the choice to play Fagin. a hip-hop OLIVER?
they still plan to use the Lionel Bart score.

SixOfTheRichest

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daz
I will save any reservation for judgement and will wait to see how Spielberg turns out West Side Story.

With any musical film, it is all about the score and dancing. Fiddler On The Roof could have more limited appeal too. I myself prefer WSS over Fiddler, but if in the mood, I can enjoy it, yet the story is not as classic and more serious, especially since what we know of history and how Jewish people were persecuted.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I will save any reservation for judgement and will wait to see how Spielberg turns out West Side Story.

What does one have to do with the other? If Spielberg's West Side Story is good or bad, it doesn't mean anything qualitative for this film. I understand that they are both remakes of classic musicals, but they don't have the same team attached, so I don't really see a correlation.

And I don't think Fiddler has limited appeal at all. I would also call WSS an equally serious musical. So I don't understand your comment. More people end up dead by the end of West Side Story than Fiddler.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks