What's new
World Wide Stereo

Ferrite cores (1 Viewer)

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I have a bag of ferrite cores at work. You see them on lots of wires and the snap on around all sorts of wire What do they do (somewhat elaborate explanation)?
How or where should I use the ones I have and which wires go throught them if I should use them : video, audio, power and which end and what constitutes a run-on sentence?

Right now I have it on the clock radio ;).

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

brucek

Second Unit
Very basically, ferrite cores are used to reduce EMI (electromagnetic interference). When a wire is passed through the core an inductor is created. If the core is wrapped with the wire, the inductance is increased. The more wraps, the higher the inductance.

Inductive reactance (frequency dependant AC resistance) increases with frequency, so a ferrite core will attenuate higher frequencies when placed around an AC line cord for instance. There are many other applications though and just as many ferrite core sizes and shapes. They come in different shapes to accomodate easy physical attachment and are also designed for various frequency ranges.

Most electronic equipment is already designed to eliminate EMI and the addition of any external device is usually unnecessary unless you have some specific problems..... In fact most of the power controller/power bars have a certain amount of EMI filtering built in..

You're probably best to leave your bag of cores at work. :)

brucek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks