What's new

Simple HDMI Cable Question (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Are "High Speed" HDMI cables really needed for 3D?

I got these high speed net covered cables from Monoprice the other day because I just got a new TV and thought I might as well update my cable that goes from the TV to the reciever. The cable is fine and all, but it's just frankly too darn thick and I was just wondering if this high speed cable I got was strictly neccesary to begin with. Previously I just used some standard Monoprice HDMI cables with Ferrite cores. I wish it didn't have those sometime, as they get in the way, but at least the wire is nice and pliable!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Quick answer . . . probably not. The high speed designation is mostly marketing. Cables are overbuilt to begin with and most are capable of handling anything you throw at them. That said, at greater distances (20+ meters) there may be a difference.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Actually, HDMI.org, the official HDMI website, doesn't use numbers like 1.3 and 1.4 to describe the cables but Standard Speed, High Speed, Automotive, and with or without Ethernet. The Standard Speed cable is for 1080i while the High Speed is for 1080P, 4k, 3D and Deep Color.

While a Standard Speed cable might work in many situations I'd look for a cable with the official HDMI logo and a High Speed designation just to be sure it has the capacity for todays devices and those coming in the future. Here's the HDMI-Buyer's-Guild. Having said that, I've used $2 generic cables with 1080P and BluRay and they seem to work fine.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I have some good old HDMI cables from Monoprice. I THINK I got them before there was a "Standard speed" and "High speed" monkier going around. I have since found these http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=4958&seq=1&format=2 which are a lot like the ones I have, but they are marked high speed. I thought about getting these. Monoprice offered to let me return the net covered, high speed too thick for my cables I bought. I am just not sure I want to go through the trouble of returning $10 in cables.

Truth is, I am not even ready for 3D. I do not have the glasses or a compatible 3D reciever yet. I was just planning ahead and was curious if you really NEED those High Speed Cables. I have no way to even test if my older cables would work, since I'm missing so much equipment for 3D. Maybe I will just keep the new cables I have for now and look at my options when it really matters.

I don't think Monoprice sells cables with an "Official HDMI logo" do they?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ya, you're right about the HDMI logo thing. Maybe they aren't officially licensed to label their cables with the HDMI-Logo's. There is a list of HDMI Adoptors but many of the brand names we're familiar with aren't on the list. This is one of the things that make this hdmi cable thing a mess. Each brand uses it's own labeling system making it difficult to compare one cable to another. But using a cable that follows the HDMI Licensing requirements should remove any doubt.

But as I said earlier, I've used a number of different cables, labeled or not, and they have all worked fine with standard dvd and BluRay, so far anyway. But since I don't have access to 3D I can't say a Standard Speed cable will work with it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks