What's new

Fawlty Towers on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Anyone own this? Is it a quality release, or a piece of crap-ola (the production, not the show itself). And why are there just four episodes per disc??

Thanks,

Jon

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Can't tell you about the quality as it seems like a high-priced set to me. Saw it at Costco one time for $36.99 but still couldn't convince myself it was a good deal.

Four eps = 120 minutes, so it's probably about the length of an average movie per disc. "All in the Family" was also four eps per disc (over 3 discs).

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
If you're a fan of the exploits of the staff of this Torquay hotel, particularly Cleese's Basil Fawlty, you'll enjoy and treasure this set.

The picture quality of each episode is nice though occasional discolouration is present. Sound is quite monaural in nature, which is to be expected I suppose.

Each episode has a commentary that contains no audio from the episode in the background. I couldn't bear to continue to watch silent episodes with the commentary on. Of what I did hear, comments were sparse and unenlightening.

John Cleese's recently recorded interview segments are very good. Other interview segments were less effective. The chap conducting the interviews frequently asked the same questions of Manuel Sachs and Prunella Scales.

In an interesting documentary, actual residents of Torquay offer their thoughts on the show and the hotel owner who inspired John Cleese.

Bottom line, don't buy the set expecting great extras, buy it if you enjoy the episodes.

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
To me as a CLEESE-fan, this is an excellent set! Picture is good, so is the sound - it definitely is NOT a trash-release! Don't expect X-Files-like quality, but just standard DVD-quality. Enjoyable, and very very rewatchable!

Seb

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I've rented this from the local library a few times. I absolutely love it and I had never seen the show before. I'm a chuckler, not the type who laughs out loud; but just about each episode has me cracking up.

I watched the classic 'Waldorf Salad' episode last night (see my sig.) It is a bit pricey but I think it would be worth it if you're a fan of the show.

Can anyone tell me why there were only 12 total episodes?

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
John,
This set is a must have! It is available in a complete set and also the seperate keepcases by volume. I have the keepcases as I don't like the packaging on the set. The discs were difficult to get out without bending them. I ended up trading in the set and going for the much preferrred seperate keepcases

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
If I remember right, that set at Costco for $36 was for all 12 episodes. Not bad for that at all. I paid $39 I believe at DeepDiscount DVD for the set.

I found the quality to be good, but not great. Certainly acceptable.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone tell me why there were only 12 total episodes?
Because they chose to "only" make two series of it (each of 6 episodes, the standard British comedy/drama series length).
British comedy has a habit of not "overstaying" its welcome, though there's always exceptions ;)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
This is a definite must-have! The video isn't great, but it's probably the best that could be done. Same goes for the audio. For extras, the interviews are good, but the commentaries are terrible(though I only listened to the first four episodes). Worth the price for the show itself...

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
No reason whatsoever not to own the Fawlty Towers set...as stated above, quality video and audio presentation. Considering the source material, I doubt it could look any better. The commentaries are some of the worst I've ever heard, though I'll admit I didn't listen to 'em all. The one director that I did listen to is a very ME, ME, and I kinda guy...seemed a bit doty as well. The other extras are much better though.

Buy it now, my God....IT'S FAWLTY TOWERS!!!!!!
In the words of Comic Book Guy....FUNNIEST SHOW EVER.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks