Fawlty Towers on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Anyone own this? Is it a quality release, or a piece of crap-ola (the production, not the show itself). And why are there just four episodes per disc??

Thanks,

Jon

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Can't tell you about the quality as it seems like a high-priced set to me. Saw it at Costco one time for $36.99 but still couldn't convince myself it was a good deal.

Four eps = 120 minutes, so it's probably about the length of an average movie per disc. "All in the Family" was also four eps per disc (over 3 discs).

3. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

If you're a fan of the exploits of the staff of this Torquay hotel, particularly Cleese's Basil Fawlty, you'll enjoy and treasure this set.

The picture quality of each episode is nice though occasional discolouration is present. Sound is quite monaural in nature, which is to be expected I suppose.

Each episode has a commentary that contains no audio from the episode in the background. I couldn't bear to continue to watch silent episodes with the commentary on. Of what I did hear, comments were sparse and unenlightening.

John Cleese's recently recorded interview segments are very good. Other interview segments were less effective. The chap conducting the interviews frequently asked the same questions of Manuel Sachs and Prunella Scales.

In an interesting documentary, actual residents of Torquay offer their thoughts on the show and the hotel owner who inspired John Cleese.

Bottom line, don't buy the set expecting great extras, buy it if you enjoy the episodes.

4. Sebastian_A

Sebastian_A Stunt Coordinator

To me as a CLEESE-fan, this is an excellent set! Picture is good, so is the sound - it definitely is NOT a trash-release! Don't expect X-Files-like quality, but just standard DVD-quality. Enjoyable, and very very rewatchable!

Seb

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I've rented this from the local library a few times. I absolutely love it and I had never seen the show before. I'm a chuckler, not the type who laughs out loud; but just about each episode has me cracking up.

I watched the classic 'Waldorf Salad' episode last night (see my sig.) It is a bit pricey but I think it would be worth it if you're a fan of the show.

Can anyone tell me why there were only 12 total episodes?

6. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

John,
    This set is a must have! It is available in a complete set and also the seperate keepcases by volume. I have the keepcases as I don't like the packaging on the set. The discs were difficult to get out without bending them. I ended up trading in the set and going for the much preferrred seperate keepcases

7. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    If I remember right, that set at Costco for $36 was for all 12 episodes. Not bad for that at all. I paid $39 I believe at DeepDiscount DVD for the set.

I found the quality to be good, but not great. Certainly acceptable.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

9. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

This is a definite must-have! The video isn't great, but it's probably the best that could be done. Same goes for the audio. For extras, the interviews are good, but the commentaries are terrible(though I only listened to the first four episodes). Worth the price for the show itself...

10. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

No reason whatsoever not to own the Fawlty Towers set...as stated above, quality video and audio presentation. Considering the source material, I doubt it could look any better. The commentaries are some of the worst I've ever heard, though I'll admit I didn't listen to 'em all. The one director that I did listen to is a very ME, ME, and I kinda guy...seemed a bit doty as well. The other extras are much better though.

Buy it now, my God....IT'S FAWLTY TOWERS!!!!!!
    In the words of Comic Book Guy....FUNNIEST SHOW EVER.

Jon