What's new

Favorite Music DVD's..Time to get some now (1 Viewer)

Richard_s

Second Unit
Now that with everyones help I finally have a system worth investing in some great music DVD's I would like some recommendations. I only own two right now. I like all kinds of music.
I own:
Paul Simon "you're the one" Paris
Diana Krall "Live in Paris"
I want to get some great Concert DVD's / Live performances What are some of your favorites?
Thanks ALL!!!

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
James Taylor - Live at the Beacon Theatre is hard to beat for sound quality and song selection. The bass in this disc is phenomenal, even the low end of the cello accompaniment on "Fire and Rain" is sharp.

U2-Rattle & Hum: the transfer isn't sharp, and the surrounds aren't actively used except in the outdoor sequences at Sun Devil stadium. That being said, this is probably one of the greatest (if not the greatest) concert/road films ever shot, and the performances are great. It also jumps locations/changes techniques a lot, so there is good variety.

Eagles -Hell Freezes Over DTS is the other one that comes to mind. Great sound mix, and the video isn't too shabby either (the stage set was pretty interesting looking). Good if you're a fan, or are just looking for a sonic workout.

Criterion is releasing a tremendously loaded SE of the Monterrey Pop film later this year; from all indications it will be stupendous.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
The Moody Blues-At the Royal Albert Hall

The Eurythmics-Peace Tour

Fleetwood Mac-The Dance

Peter Frampton-Live in Detroit

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for "Eurythmics: Peacetour". Phenomenal video quality, and 16x9 enhanced to boot! Almost like looking through a window and I don't even have a widescreen TV! Audio is great too. Dolby 5.1 and makes good use of the surrounds. Only drawback is they don't play enough earlier songs for my tastes, but still a great show.

"Nine Inch Nails: And All That Could Have Been". Video quality is great, but this DVD kicks in the sound department. Great one to turn up loud.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
The following are among my favorite for (performance-video-audio) quality. In most cases, all three! :D
Black Sabbath: Last Supper
Deep Purple: Come Hell or High Water
Eagles: Hell Freezes Over
ELO: Zoom
ELP: Live at Royal Albert Hall
Peter Frampton: Live in Detroit
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same
Queen: We Will Rock you
Scorpions: Moment of Glory
Steely Dan: Two Against Nature
Styx: Return to Paradise
Yes: House of Yes

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
The best live DVDs I've ever seen:
King Crimson - Deja Vrooom. The best music DVD I've ever seen (except for some wack animated menus). Unbelievable music, incredible musicianship, fantastic video and sound, and cool use of DVD's bells and whistles, including a track where you can multi-angle on any one member of the band and their part of the music moves to the center channel while you watch them (drummer Pat Mastelotto's is the best angle, BTW).
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature. I'm not a big fan of the onstage-with-the-band mix, but this one works. Fun behind-the-scenes shots as well.
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense. An already-flawless concert film, the DVD version is even better. Multiple audio mixes, great sound, great picture, great music.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
These are my favorite so far....
Genesis - The Way We Walk. Can't be purchased anywhere other than Genesis' website. Details here. Click on the graphics on the left side of the screen for complete details.
Mary Chapin Carpenter: Jubilee - Live at Wolf Trap. Great songwriting + great performance = Great concert DVD

Richard_s

Second Unit
Thanks all I am logging all of your recommendations in a word document so I can sift through them. These are great recommendations so far. Definitely have some buying to do a little at a time :)

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure of your taste in music but the following are all very good;

Roy Orbison: A Black & White Night

The Moody Blues: At the Royal Albert Hall

Paul McCartney: Get Back

Queen: We Will Rock You

Lynard Skynard: Lyve From Steeltown

Tommy James & The Shondells: Live From The Bitter End

John Beavers

Second Unit
From my collection I can highly recommend the following:

Vaughan, Stevie Ray & Double Trouble "Live from Austin, Texas"

Vaughan, Stevie Ray & Double Trouble "Live at the El Mocambo"

Trout, Walter "In Concert"

Trout, Walter "Live & Kickin'"

The Best Of Sessions at West 54th "Volume 1"

Taylor, James "Live at the Baron Theater"

Sting"Brand New Day Tour - Live from the Universal Amphitheater"

Sparks"Live In London"

Satriani, Joe, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai "G3 Live"

Satriani, Joe "Live In San Francisco"

Rammstein "Live Aus Berlin"

Oasis "There & Then"

Mo, Keb"Sessions at West 54th"

Metallica "S&M"

Metallica "Cunning Stunts"

McLachlan, Sarah "Mirrorball"

Matthews, Dave"Listener Supported"

"Lilith Fair" Various female singers

Liebert, Ottmar"Wide-Eyed and Dreaming"

"Gael Force" Various Gaelic singers

Fogerty, John "Premonition"

Fleetwood Mac "The Dance"

Eurythmics "Peacetour"

Earth, Wind & Fire "Live In Japan"

Dream Theater "Metropolis 2000: Scenes from New York"

Deep Purple "Total Abandon - Australia '99"

Deep Purple "In Concert with the London Symphony Orchestra"

Clapton, Eric "and Friends in Concert"

Clapton, Eric "Unplugged"

Castro, Tommy "Live at the Fillmore"

Burdon, Eric & the New Animals "Live at the Coach House"

Bennett, Tony "Unplugged"

Allman Brothers"Brothers of the Road"

Allman Brothers"Live at Great Woods"

Allison, Luther"Live in Paradise"

Alice In Chains"MTV Unplugged"

38 Special "Live at Sturgis"

Steely Dan "Two Against Nature"

Santana"Supernatural Live"

Pat Methany Group "Imaginary Day Live"

Orbison, Roy "Black & White Night"

"Music For Montserrat" Various artists

Matsui, Keiko "The Jazz Channel Presents"

Klugh, Earl "The Jazz Channel Presents"

Henley, Don "Live Inside Job"

Frampton, Peter"Live In Detroit"

Electric Light Orchestra "Zoom Tour Live"

Clapton, Eric "Live in Hyde Park"

Bee Gees "One Night Only"

AC/DC "Stiff Upper Lip live"

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Deja Vroom, King Crimson
Ange pretty much said it all, but I will add this: King Crimson are Gods.
One of the tracks gives you the ability to select 6 or 7 different angles, and as you select each one, the person shown is heard through the center channel.
Two Against Nature, Steely Dan
Sound quality is great, but I'm not a big fan of the mix, what with all the horns in the back. Also, the "stereo" feature seems to not be working. Either way, it's still great for Dan fans.
Operation: LiveCrime, Queensryche
This one is great if you like overblown theatrical hard rock. A complete live performance of their concept album Operation: Mindcrime, this comes with guest female vocals, animated images, and most importantly, great surround sound, as well as a couple of hidden audio tracks and a complete libretto. "I remember now. I remember how it started."
Live Scenes From New York, Dreamtheater
I know DT isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you like this band, this disc is phenomenal. A complete and extended performance of their concept album Metropolis 2: Scenes From A Memory. Only a stereo sound track, but it sounds wonderful. Concert footage mixed in with video clips of the story, a gospel choir on one song, fun commentary track by the band, and bonus footage of even more music from that night's performance.
Stiff Upper Lip, AC/DC
Kickin' DTS 5.1 soundtrack for a full concert performance of the greatest bar band of all time. Like everything else about AC/DC, this disc is straight, simple, and to the point: high voltage rock 'n' roll.
Classic Album series
There are a bunch of DVDs out there from the classic album series that are documentaries of the making of, well, classic albums. I have two: Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden and Aja, Steely Dan. The latter really gets into the music. My favorite part is Becker and Fagan playing various guitar solos by guitarists who auditioned from a mixing board.
Straight, No Chaser
While this is technically a movie and not a "music DVD," this contains some nice performacne footage of Thelonius Monk. I really wish they'd release more stuff like this from other great jazz artists.
NP: John Coltrane, Complete Live at the Village Vanguard, disc 3, CD

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Alice in Chains-Unplugged

Pearl Jam-Touring Band 2000

Bruce Springsteen/E St Band- Live in NYC

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
As usual, I'll be the only one to list "Procol Harum: Best of Musikladen" from a classic 1971 appearance (about the same time, and with the same lineup as their Live album).
By the way, they have a new DVD coming out: Live from Copenhagen, recorded last December.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...993134-4801201
It's not yet available in Region 1 format but should be later on this year, or so I've heard.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Eurythmics PeaceTour is solid.

Pearl Jam Touring Band is also a good disc, it really captures the essence of PJ live on this tour.

Obviously Eagles: Hell Freezes Over

King Crimson; Deja Vrooom - solid concert and a really fun DTS DVD with alternate angles and things to play with.

James Taylor sounds excellent.

ELO: Zoom - Jeff with a new band will make you think it's 1979 again. I mean he sounds damn tight and really rocks all the hits well on this disc and it comes through great on the DVD.

Queen: We Will Rock You - a great performance though captured a little rough at times. I understand that the DTS improves upon the DD version, so that's what i would recommend going with.

edit to add:

Talking Head: Stop Making Sense - the BEST live concert film ever, a tremendous performance, and the DVD is great including several different mixes to enjoy

Steely Dan: 2 Against Nature - Actually I have the DVD-A of the album rather than the concert. But based on that I will back up other recommendations.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
X Japan: The Last Live Video (best PCM track ever, Region 2/3)

Weird Al Yankovic: Live!

Cranberries: Live in Paris (once they fix the sync problems and those awful menus)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The only ones I own right now are

Emmylou Harris & Spyboy

Down From the Mountain

I'm still eagerly awaiting Enya's video collection!

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Roger Waters - In the Flesh
Underworld - Everything, Everything
And I definitely would NOT recommend Black Sabbath - Last Supper unless you enjoy having the great music cut off in the middle of songs. :angry: This was a HUGE disappointment for me.
Martin.

Richard_s

Second Unit
Thanks ALL

There are quite a few great recommendations that I will be getting soon.

I also Like Country music and Classical any great DVD videos in these categories. There are a few scattered in all the great responces so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks