What's new

Favorite Christmas episodes on dvd (1 Viewer)

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Favorite Christmas Episodes on DVD? What a wonderful topic – and something many of us probably program for ourselves anyway, so why not share?

My choices may be more offbeat than some, but all save one occurred when I was younger – and the Christmas holiday is never more special than when you are young. We begin with my favorite of all…

THE FLINTSTONES: “Christmas Flintstone”. (The Flintstones: The Complete Fifth Season) Yes, as a friend once pointed out, The Flintstones COULDN’T POSSIBLY celebrate Christmas, but who are we to question the genius of Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera, circa 1964. Years later, we could question PLENTY – but in ’64 there was no one better at the cartoon biz.

This is the “Fred Saves Christmas” (…long before every fictional character and their fictional brother began saving Christmas) episode from The Original Series – not to be confused with anything that may have come later.

LOST IN SPACE: “The Toymaker”. (Lost in Space Season Two, Volume Two) Explicitly mentions Christmas – and occurs at Christmas time. This charming tale of the Robinsons trapped in a fourth-dimensional toymaker’s shop manages to conjure up the feeling of the season, without directly dealing with the holiday itself.

LAND OF THE GIANTS: “The Night of Thrombeldinbar”. (Land of the Giants: The Complete Series). This is not a Christmas story… but SHOULD BE. It would seem to be how the holiday is celebrated on the Giants World. If you ever thought that GIANTS’ “Alexander Fitzhugh” and Lost in Space’s “Doctor Zachary Smith” were completely interchangeable, this episode will nicely illustrate the difference between the two!

THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. “The Jingle Bells Affair”. (The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Season Three – of the Complete Series Set). Even a hard line Communist dictator can succumb to the holiday spirit, under the right circumstances. Some very nice footage of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade circa mid-sixties.

JUSTICE LEAGUE ANIMATED: “Comfort and Joy” (Justice League Volume Two). Three separate tales of Green Lantern and Hawkgirl, Superman and Martian Manhunter, and Flash the The Ultra-Humanite. The latter two being the most effective. As a near-lifelong DC Comics fan, this has become a Neo-Christmas Classic for me – and managed to create the same feeling in me as the older shows above!

Maybe you never outgrow it, after all…

…Hope you all get the DVDs you want this season!

MarkPA333

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
My favorite Christmas episode, believe it or not, was from "Alf" -- in the second season.

The special 1-hour episode contains a sweet friendship between Alf and a little girl who is dying. Really got me crying.

By the way, I believe the Christmas episode is the only episode on all of the ALF DVDs that is uncut! (not a syndicated version). And the video quality on it is crystal-clear, making Lion's Gate's claim that the original prints were "poor" a complete lie.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Does anyone remember an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies where Jethro is trying to take a Christmas tree into the mansion though the front door, and can't figure out how to do it until Uncle Jed tells him how. I think it has to be on a later season, because I have all the Christmas episodes released so far between MPI and Paramount and can't find the episode. Does anyone remember this particular episode or am I imagining it.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I have two favorites:

AMAZONG STORIES -- "Santa." Santa gets arrested for breaking and entering by disillusioned sheriff Pat Hingle. My kids never failed to cheer when the reindeer and sleigh took off with Santa.

NEWHART -- "No Room at the Inn." The parallels to the first Christmas pile up. Newhart's expression is priceless in the tag when the guy whose car is stuck in the snow tells Newhart his name is "Wiseman. My two brothers are out in the car."

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
THE NEW TWILIGHT ZONE (Season One) - three episodes with a Christmas theme:

- a remake of NIGHT OF THE MEEK updated for the '80s
- BUT CAN SHE TYPE? - an overworked secretary finds herself in a parallel universe where secretaries are valued more highly (takes place at Christmas time
- THE STAR - a futuristic space mission discovers the true meaning of Christmas

Harry

John Gido

Second Unit

+1 :frowning:

Also "Rich Little's A Christmas Carol" from HBO that played continuously through the 80's.

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
if you like christmas epsidoes i recommed checking out holiday treats. it classic christmas epsidoes shows like ANDY GRIFFITH,I love lucy,the hooneymooners and family ties.

ElizM

Agent
Real Name
I really like the "Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Mysteries" Christmas episode. It's entitled "Will the Real Santa..?". For years I had wanted a copy of this and it's in the S2 set of the series.

I would love to see some of the others mentioned.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yep, I like that episode as well and am glad it's in my collection.

I watched my favorite Christmas episode from the many that OZZIE & HARRIET did. It's called "Busy Christmas", and at the end Ricky sings "The Christmas Song" as we get glances of his wife and daughter along with David's family. A really nice episode all the way around.

Gary "they did about 10 Christmas-themed episodes during the run of the series, but 'Busy Christmas' is my favorite" O.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I like the Eight is Enough episode where the mother had died and they stumbled across one christmas gift that she already wrapped up for the middle son--geez that was a great one!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Here's an old chesnut roasting on the Christmas fire:

THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT was a staple of holiday viewing in the '50s and ''60s, sponsered by the phone company and shown often in prime time and daytime. It was unseen for decades until PBS stations started showing it during the '90s.

The Christmas Spirit was narrated by Alexander Scourby and told two stories in it's half-hour program: " 'Twas The Night Before Christmas" and "The Nativity". The stories were performed by marrionettes and the show was a very sweet and heart warming presentation. It's available at amazon.com as The Christmas Spirit, (2005 or 1998 DVD release).

On the new TEXAN set there is a Christmas episode that combines the Scrooge and Nativity stories.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for authoring the thread, Gary. Comes at a time when we're thinking of others and family, hopefully. For those traveling next week, safe journey through the weather around the country.

I'm nowhere near the authority of Christmas series episodes as Gary and some others here, but there's one that I really liked when it aired years ago:

The Love Boat Season 1 (V1): Disc 3 Episode 3: "Silent Night" (1 of the 3 mini-stories within the episode). Original airdate: 12/10/77 Donna Mills, Dick Sargent, John Gavin. "Santa" (Capt Stubing) giving toys to the orphanage kids on the cruise symbolizes part of what the holiday is all about.

The other favorite was from Happy Days S2 that's been mentioned previously here with Fonzie getting invited to the Cunningham's for Christmas Eve. When Fonzie starts reciting "Twas the Night Before Christmas" in the closing scene with Joanie sitting at his feet with the family around, that's a scene that's hard to beat, imo. ....."not a creature was stirring....not even a mouse....can you dig it?" :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff "These wonderful things are the things we remember all through our lives" W.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jeff!!! Great to "see" you, my good friend!!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I've got that Christmas episode from THE LOVE BOAT and it is a nice one. And of course that first HAPPY DAYS Christmas episode (they made 4 in all) was a classic! I never fail to watch that one every year.

Hope to see you posting more. You are sorely missed here, buddy.

Gary "Merry Christmas, Jeff" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Gary. I know as well as others here that you're part of the foundation of this Bd.

As for Christmas episode-collecting, maybe I can catch up with you by 2020 :laugh:

Thanks for...."you know"
Check your e-mail
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I appreciate the kind words, Jeff. And I'm overwhelmed at your niceness to me.

Now it's time to throw in a couple of good LASSIE Christmas episodes. They never fail to bring tears to my eyes!

Gary "Merry Christmas, everyone" O.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I have two favorites that come to mind. "Miracle on 3rd Or 4th Street" from the first season of 'Frasier' and "All I Want For Christmas" from the second season of "Everybody Loves Raymond".

LCD22

Screenwriter
I wanted to login and say to all HTF members, "Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and have a safe one!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks