What's new

Faux night sky ceiling - got info? (1 Viewer)

NightSkyMurals

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff

I realize that this may be a little late to answer any of your questions... but I just found this forum and wanted to answer some of the questions for others who might stumble upon this thread.

There are a lot of different companies who can paint stars on your ceilings... and there are a handful who will do a really nice job of it and give you a very realistic rendition of an actual night sky (not cartoon'ish). I can tell you of some of the others if you want to write and ask.

I do travel around the country painting these murals... and for the guy in Oklahoma, the price quoted would have included travel. I would have been happy to let you know that had you followed up with that question.

As for the paint, I have sold (on occasion) paint to a few people who weredoing DIY projects and I usually try to help out as much as I can if you will just ask.

The paint that we use here is some that we manufacture ourselves. There are many places that you can get good quality glow paints... but they don't work for the way that I do murals... so what we use is probably different from most others on the market. Not that it is better than any of the other high-quality paints that are on the market... but it does work better for us.

We use more glow pigments than most others and we have a much thicker medium than any that we have seen. That allows the pigments to remain even throughout the paint and not need to be stirred.

Again, we will, on occasion, sell some of our paints to DIY'ers... but not to any others who do this as a business.

Here is a link to a video that was aired on the FINE LIVING networks show "I Want That" for the past few months.
YouTube - Night Sky Murals: The Premier Provider of High-End Ceiling Murals

I am more than happy to help steer people who want to save some money by Doing it themselves. Please just email me and ask. You can find my email on my website at Night Sky Murals - High-end ceiling murals for the Home Theater - Master Bedroom - Interior Design - Kids Rooms - Starscapes

I think that I have answered most of the questions.

Oh... about Night Sky Murals vs Fiber Optics.

Fiber optics are much better than any night sky mural in conditions where there is a good amount of light in a room and you want stars to be seen. YOu can even see them with full light in the room.

Night Sky Murals are much better than fiber optics in a room that can get really dark. The realism that can be achieved on a ceiling is not even close to what we can achieve in one of our murals. In an average theater room we can have several thousands of different sized stars, along with the Milky Way, Shooting Stars, Accurate Constellations and a look that leaves people breathless.

But, either way that you go... fiber optics and murals are perfect in the theater room. So... consider one of the two options.

expoman55

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael O
Guys,
I contacted Jeff at the nightmurals website and he has been like awesome.. I sent on Sunday and he was very responsive and sent A LOT of infor to help me sort out RIGHT from the start..

Havent see the work yet but WOW he is terrific with detailed info.

devdally

Auditioning
Real Name
devon dally
Have your faux night sky done by a muralist. I've seen DIY projects that look like children's playrooms more than anything else.

NightSkyMurals

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Having the Night Sky Mural painted by someone that does this for a living, for the most part, should get you a really nice ceiling mural. Although I have seen some bad muralists who think they do a nice job. But, if you will do your homework, you should be able to get a really nice job done that you will enjoy for years.

If, on the other hand, you want to save some money and DIY... there is a decent option. There are a few stencils that you can find on

the Internet that you can use to DIY. But, like the artists that you will find ready to paint your ceiling for you... there are some good stencils and some not so good (really bad) ones too. I will be happy to help you choose the right one if you will email me. (I won't try to sell you on having me paint the mural for you... I will just help you get a decent product.)

Let me give you all of the options (that I can think of) that you can pick from to have a night sky on your theater ceiling...

First, you can paint your ceiling a dark Navy or Black... and have someone paint the stars on the ceiling for you. By painting the base coat you will save some money but still have an artist place the stars, Milky Way and other things painted professionally.

Second, you can paint the base coat and then paint the stars yourself. I would only suggest this option to those who have some artistic talent. Otherwise you might (probably will) end up with a mess.

Third, you can have someone come in and install Fiber Optics (which can get very expensive) and the look is just OK. Fiber Optics are the way to go if you want the stars to show up brightly during the movie, or if you want then to twinkle. The downside to this is that it is just a nice look... not very realistic.

Fourth, you can get a DIY kit (please contact me for the best choice. I try to keep up on the best ones to recommend) and paint the mural yourself. The ones on the market at this time are really not very good. But, there is one that outshines all of the others and is one of the least expensive ones. It comes with really bad paint... but that can be overcome by asking me to sell you an ounce or two of the same paint that I use when I paint my murals. The glow will last for about 12 hours and will last for years. There are also places on the Internet where a person can get good paint that will last a long time. But, if you want to see the mural during a movie, or with a lot of light on in the room... forget about it. That is where Fiber Optics will outshine the painted murals. But, with the lights off, these murals will look as real (though not as bright) as the fiber optics.

Fifth, you can call someone, like myself, who does only murals of the night sky to paint it for you. Like the DIY option, during a movie these murals will not be very visible. But, when the room is dark... there is nothing as real looking as one of our murals. There are many different price levels with the different companies who will paint for you. I am probably the most expensive... but I will be happy to help you find someone near you who might be less expensive. If, on the other hand, price doesn't make you nervous.... I do travel around the country painting for people.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions. I will be happy to answer questions, direct you to a DIY product... or even to another muralist. My email address, along with an online form that you can fill out, can be found on my website at www.NightSkyMurals.com

Whatever you do, though... consider having a night sky added to your theater room. They are perfect for them and they create an incredible effect.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks