What's new

Fast and Furious Cars? Huh... (1 Viewer)

Brad_V

Second Unit
Demetri, what do you have done to your Civic for that 13.8? What was the mph and 60-foot on the 1/4-mile run?

AjayM

Screenwriter
I hope your joking.. Your going to need a big shot of nitrous to get a saturn running tens, and that big of shot would ruin the stock engine.
Well a 10 second Skyline is pretty far from stock as well (in stock form those cars are mid-14's or worse).

Andrew

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Well then what do you consider to be a "true muscle car"???
At least they have V8's and produce tire smoking torque, but that's where their difference to the 60/70's muscle car ends. The new cars can take corners, stop, and get real gas mileage. Trust me the old muscle cars weren't as fast as you think, although a LOT of that had to do with the "standard" F70-15 Redline tires.
I've owned both: a '71 Chevelle with 522"/NOS motor that ran 9.30's and a '87 Buick GN that ran mid 11's in street trim. Old is LOUD and unrefined and new it quiet and almost too tame feeling. I enjoyed them both VERY much.
A Saturn couldn't run 10's tied behind a jet car. Nitrous is NOT the answer to everything. Still need a motor/tranny to take it then a chassis/tire to hook it.
I liked the sound track of Fast & The Furious, but the cars are pretty much a joke. Stupid paint jobs, HUGE wings, and glowing lights all over: looks like a rolling circus!! And spending $$$$$$ money to go 13's when you can get American cars that do that STOCK makes NO sense to me. Give me a GTP with a pulley, exhaust, ECM, and a set of Nittos and I'll go easy 13's....for under $1500.
Just to add to the confusion my daily driver is a Nissan Altima and it's little 150HP 4 banger does a GREAT job during the daily commute.......but a race car it ain't. Maybe if I added a wing.... :D
P.S. Obviously the above is my NSHO, but I've been a street racer for over 15 years so I have a little experience in that area......Mike

ChristianW

Stunt Coordinator
In Japan, tough Skylines will happily run high 7s or low 8s. That makes them very freaking fast! This is without nitrous, they just use very big turbos, tough internals and scary tuning.

They also do this on street legal tyres, admittedly they wouldn't be legal in a lot of other countries - They're basically grooved slicks.

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
A Saturn couldn't run 10's tied behind a jet car.
I could have sworn GM built up a Saturn coupe with some ungodly engine putting out over 500hp a few years back. I don't know what it ran, but I don't imagine it would be too far off of a 10 second quarter. The front tires were rediculously wider than the rear tires to get all that power to the ground, and it made for a very unusual looking car.

Nick P

Second Unit
In Japan, tough Skylines will happily run high 7s or low 8s.
This I find very hard to believe. Are you sure those aren't 1/8 mile times? High 7's are Pro Stock drag times aren't they? What's a Funny Car run, mid 5's? Can a street legal car really be only 2 seconds behind a funny car?!?!

Brad_V

Second Unit
Saturn... yeah, I remember the company or someone building one up, supposedly on the stock bottom-end if memory serves. I thought it did more like 11s@120 or so, though. If so, still quite fast.
Mike, good points, but there have been/are some imports that will do 13s for not much, too. (A Talon or Eclipse can do 13s for as low as a couple hundred bucks, for instance.) The same as your GTP example, any car with factory forced-induction can go up a level or two without much into it. And other than Dodge 2.2s and TRs, imports tended to be the cars with factory turbochargers.
For American stock-13s, not much will touch a Camaro/Bird for the price, of course, especially not stock since those are the best bang-for-the-buck stockers going. Supras did 13s being very detuned, but that's a different price bracket.
Japan has some fast stock cars, just the U.S. doesn't get them. The Nissan Silvia over there is RWD and 250hp, but all we ever got was a non-turbo variant of it. We got the Subaru Impreza WRX last year (the slow version), so things are looking up. And while the Mitsu Lancer Evolution will FINALLY come to the states next spring, that'll be U.S. detuned to about 260hp, too. I know people overseas who got low 12s @ 110 out of their stockers. So, the cars are made, just not here. :frowning:
The fastest Skyline I can think of is the HKS Skyline that runs I think 7.6 @ around 180mph. To see something like that on the street, though.... Nine-second American street cars aren't uncommon, and eight-second ones are around, but that kind of stuff usually takes some serious wrenching to maintain.
Someone could point to "the fastest street car in America" contest which I know at least used to be Mike-somebody and his six-second Camaro, but it's not like those kinds of "street cars" are anything more than a track car with license plates on it. When a car needs nitrous just to keep the block cool to make it through 25 miles of street driving, or when you have to put a hair dryer to the intake manifold just to get the mighty beast to idle from a cold start, that's not exactly what I would consider a street car.

AjayM

Screenwriter
The HKS skyline was pretty far from street trim, and certainly further from being street legal. Even seeing a real legal 9sec car on the street is pretty rare, I remember one guy at the local hangout that had a very low 10sec Mustang that was a true street machine, convertible with a nice leather interior and still had AC and a stereo to go with it. I've seen a couple of 9sec beasts on the streets as well, but they were more for racing than anything (stripped/gutted interiors, etc).

The Japanese stuff get's good press because of what their tuners do and because we can't get it here in the states. I can't think of a production japanese car that can run 12's or even low 13's dead stock right off the showroom floor except maybe the NSX and maybe some of the smaller high strung cars like the Lancer/WRX.

Oh I used to have a 13 second Civic as well (well a 13.9 anyways), and it cost a damn fortune. Bigger engine, headwork, cams, transmission (better gearing), cold air intake, lots of exhaust work, a little computer work, serious diet for the car...if I remember correctly my 60ft times were in the 1.7-1.8 range on slicks. Got rid of it and bought a damn Mustang, threw a few bolt ons onto it and went faster....such is life.

Andrew

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
With enough money you can make almost ANY car run sub 9's or less. I have Toyko Extreme for PS2 and it has a documentary about the import racers. One guy was saying he dropped over 100 thousand on his car. Call me crazy but I would rather been seen in a Viper, 911, Vette ZO6, BMW M5...
and so on. Those would even leave money to spare.
Give me a GTP with a pulley, exhaust, ECM, and a set of Nittos and I'll go easy 13's....for under $1500.
BTW- I'm having a real hard time getting the wife to let me drop 75 bucks for a new pulley on a car I just spent almost 28,000 on :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks