What's new

Faroudja LD1000 (1 Viewer)

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Faroudja LD1000 laserdisc player, but it does not have a manual, nor can I locate any information about it on the web. Can anyone provide any information about the unit to let me know what made it cost $5000 when new (aside from the Faroudja name)? Did it have a line doubler built-in or anything?

Widescreen Review did a review of it their March 1999 issue (Issue 31), so does anyone have that issue that could scan the pages and let me know so I can find out about the unit?

I'm thinking of replacing my Pioneer CLD-97 with it, if it turns out to be a good deal and a good unit.

Thanks in advance!
Bob

greg_t

Screenwriter
This link will lead you to some basic info.

http://www.hi-def.com/Faroudja/LD1000.html

No LD players have line doublers in them that I've ever been aware of. The list of features on that website is pretty much common of good LD players. Maybe RachealB will pop in here with some more info. You might also want to go the www.deja.com pull up the alt.video.laserdisc group, and do a search there.

Thanks for the link Greg, that was one of the few pieces of info I was able to find. Still hoping to learn more about this unit, if anyone can provide info or relay on what WSR had to say about it in their review from the March 1999 issue.

Nick, it actually was $5500, from what I have been able to find out.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the ability to scan the article, but I can copy it and mail it to you if you'd like.

Overall, the review was very impressive -- basically called it the best LD player he'd ever watched though I don't know if the reviewer had ever tested the Japanese players. Greg Rogers was the reviewer.

Bottom line is the LD1000 was built off the CLD-99, but pretty significantly modified at least cosmetically and the reviewer though they had done some internal tweaking as well. The reviewer reference player prior to the article was the CLD-97. The LD1000 doesn't look anything at all like the 99 and weighs 40lbs instead of 23lbs for the 99 and 37lbs for the 97.

Summary:
"The Faroudja LD1000 LaserDisc Player proved to be an excellent performer in all respects. Although it measures slightly below my Pioneer Elite CLD-97 reference player in most conventional specs, its digital 3-D Motion Adaptive Y/C Separation Filter gives it a slight edge in large screen picture definition and overall picture clarity. The larger and higher resolution the display, the more obvious and important this picture quality ege becomes. Many of us have a collection of LD's that feature some unique titles that may not be replaced by DVD for a decade, if ever. As we near the final curtain for the analog LaserDisc format, this is the player I would like to have in my theatre to enjoy those LaserDiscs for years to come."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks