What's new

Eyes (1 Viewer)

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard if ABC's new EYES (Wed nights after Alias) will survive for a full season or hopefully already been picked up for a 2nd season next year? I've heard the ratings aren't spectacular, but its up against L&O. Any idea how many episodes have actually been filmed?

This is a GREAT new show that I hope comes to DVD widescreen soon.

Real Name
Seth Thrasher
The show's last airing only pulled in around 6.3 Million viewers - on Wednesdays at 10PM that's anathemic. Right now, the show's scheduled to burn off it's episodes in July/August, and will probably be gone afterwards, barring a ratings jump.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What a shame. I agree this is a very good show. This is the first new show I've started watching on a regular basis since Monk debuted.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The only "Eyes" I ever liked was the Joan Crawford segment of Rod Serling's Night Gallery -- directed by Steven Spielberg.

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I love this show but it doesn't like good for contining expect to burn off the orignal 13 episodes. Would be all over a dvd release.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I love this show too, but it seems like ABC decided the show was going to fail before they started airing it. They barely ran any promos for it, and, when you compare that to the relentless blitz of promos they used to launch Blind Justice, and the way they continue to support shows like Lost & Desperate Housewives.... sigh. It's just a self-fulfilling prophecy. They'll blame the low ratings for the cancellation, but I blame their total lack of interest in marketing the show for the low ratings.

I'd be thrilled if they prove me wrong, but, having been down this road with the late lamented Karen Sisco, I'm not holding my breath.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
My understanding is it's been pulled for sweeps, which means it's unlikely it'll ever return. Given that, I probably wouldn't hold my breath for a dvd release of it either.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I love Eyes it was one of the coolest shows ever. As soon as I heard there was going to be a new show by the guy who creeated Profit I knew it was going to be good. It's too bad the ratings aren't as good as Lost or Desperate Housewives. But would do expect up against CSI and Law & Order. I really hopes this comes to DVD the one thing that worries me though is Warner Bros. owns it and they don't seem to be as good yet releasing shows that only went a season if that is what happens to Eyes. I mean they haven't released Briscoe County Jr which is Number 3 on the Unreleased List at tvshowsondvd.com.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

MaraKM: You are absolutely correct. I heard from insiders connected to the show that ABC was quite upfront in their lack of desire to promote the shows not produced by Disney. As if that wasn't bad enough, the network actually got perturbed that Tim Daly was going out and promoting the show. Can you imagine? He's out there doing what they should have been doing, and they get upset.

It was pretty much officially cancelled as far back as the day after the second episode aired, based on the overnights. It's my understanding that the production office has been shuttered and everyone has moved on to other projects.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Well, it's officially official...

http://tinyurl.com/bl5gr

No word yet on whether or not they'll even bother to air the rest of the 13 eps (total) which were filmed.

Maybe they'll figure out that there'll be some money-recoupment possibility in it for them if they'll give us the rest on DVD at some point down the road...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Remember, two different "they"s. ABC really doesn't care about whether Warner recoups costs on home video or not.

Warner really should put out the "John McNamara can't catch a break" line, with Profit, Spy Game, Vengence Unlimited, The Fugitive, Fastlane and Eyes. And Brisco County Junior for good measure.

(Truth be told, getting six expensive-looking series on television at all is something of an accomplishment. Be nice if one stuck, though.)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I really wanted to watch this show, but already spending two hours watching Lost and Alias, I couldn't afford to give another hour of my Wednesdays to ABC.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

I'll take all of those. Tim Daly kinda can't catch a post-Wings break, either. I don't think Superman counts. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
My picks would be Spy Game, The Fugitive, and Eyes. I'm not sure what's more astonishing, that he keeps getting these great casts and high budgets or that none of these shows has connected with a general audience.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I still can't believe that Fox couldn't sell Fastlane to the public. Honestly, that show didn't do that bad on Wednesday nights, given the competition. It would've been nice to see what a little American Idol lead-in would've done for it. Friday night banishment was just cruel. If only it was a Twentieth Century Fox show and not WB... The most I'm hoping for is to see an episode pop up on a bonus DVD one day.

I think Eyes probably connected with almost everyone that showed up to watch it (ok, based on my sample size of 3 people polled). ABC just didn't do a great job of getting people there. I only picked up on it by reading a couple of rave reviews, but I don't even recall much of a marketing push. Then again, I zip through those commercials pretty quickly.

I have no idea what happened with The Fugitive. I can't say CBS didn't push that show. As I recall, it got more of a hard sell than the "other" Friday night show that followed it (C.S.I.). A few weeks later, C.S.I. is on Thursday nights on it's way to being the #1 show on tv and The Fugitive is ending with a horrible cliffhanger.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of Eyes, but ended up seeing it purely by accident. I was at a conference for a week, and had nothing to do at night except watch tv in my hotel room. At home, I'm watching dvds or tv shows I already like. The only time I've channel surfed in many years is in hotel rooms. And that's what I did when I stumbled across Eyes. As a matter of fact, this seemed like such a polished, complete, and in-depth show, that I immediately assumed it had been on for quite a while and I was late to the bandwagon. I'm still shocked that I was watching only the 2nd or 3rd episode in the series, and upset that it's not going to last. :frowning:

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
Well I loved Eyes and I recall ABC advertizing it.

It was the perfect Wednesday night lineup. Lost, Alias, Eyes.

I don't see how people watching Lost and Alias could have not known that Eyes was on after.

So instead of Eyes we're getting a dose of Supernanny. Ugh. I deal with my own badly behaved kids all day, I don't want to watch someone else's badly behaved kids during my down time.;-)

Sigh, no more Tim Daly to drool over.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I love Vengence Unlimited too. Eyes is even better. I hope ABC does show the remaining eight episodes. I like Eyes better than the terrific LOST.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks