What's new

Extended Delay on BIOS Version Screen During Bootup (1 Viewer)

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Since relocating my PC and hooking everything up (nothing changed inside case), I'm experiencing a two-minute delay when rebooting.

My PC hangs on the BIOS Version screen (not the actual BIOS settings screen) where it says "Phoenix BIOS" and gives the version number. From a boot-up when the PC is off, I hear the test beep, get the BIOS version screen, and it hangs there for two full minutes as the hard drive activity light remains solid. From a restart when in Windows, I don't get the test beep, but the screen comes up and hangs for two minutes. The only difference in the screen info between startup from off and restart from Windows is that my CPU information isn't always displayed right away on the BIOS version screen when restarting, but it will show after two minutes.

After this two-minute delay, everything happens as it should and I get into Windows. I haven't seen any performance problems, and everything works fine once I'm in Windows.

QuickBoot is enabled, and boot from hard disk is set as the first choice in my BIOS. I can't think of anything else there that is out of line there. I ran Maxtor's full disk test and my hard disk checked out fine.

I'm running XP SP2; 2.8GHz Intel CPU; Abit IC7-Max motherboard; 2GB PC3200 DDR memory.

I'm out of ideas and haven't found anything online that has helped so far. Thanks for any insight.

Rob

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Since you didn't do anything and viruss' are out (right?) that only leaves a card or a plug that has moved in your 'relocation'. My best guess, I guess.

Glenn

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
I briefly considered that, but figured that since it did finally boot into Windows, something else must be the culprit.

Since you mentioned it, I'll take all my cards/extras out and try a reboot with the minimum installed and see what happens as I add pieces back in.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rob

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
I think I found the culprit... after taking everything out and putting pieces back in one-by-one and restarting, all went well. When I connected several peripheral devices all at once, the delays returned. It turned out that my printer didn't like the USB port on the motherboard, and this caused the delays. Switching my printer to another USB port on an add-in card seems to have done the trick.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Your computer might poll the printer to see whether it's a bootable device, causing the delay. There should be a setting in your BIOS that allows or disallows booting from a USB device. At least that's my guess on what's going on...

-Christian

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
I did a quick look through the BIOS and tried what looked like it would be this option and I got hung up again. I'm betting you're right, but now that I've got it working, I'll leave it for awhile. Appreciate the tip/insight.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks