What's new

Experiencing White Noise with Vintage Speakers (1 Viewer)

JonathanL

Grip
I have an Onkyo HT-R410 receiver, which I had hooked up with 16 gauge wire to vintage Sansui SP5500X Speakers. With the receiver on and no source, the Sansui Speakers exhibit white noise, which becomes increasingly more noticeable as I increase the volume.

The speakers begin hiss and pop if I increase the volume past 50 on the receiver. The speakers have max power rating of 120w at 8 ohms, while the receiver is rated at 100w RMS at 8 ohms. What I would like to know is the following: Is there a way to eliminate the white noise; why is the popping occurring?

Thanks, Jonathan.

JonathanL

Grip
Well, I actually have one HKB6 bookshelf speaker and one Sansyu SP5500X speaker hooked up to at the moment. The HKB6 also has white noise, but it doesn't pop increasing the volume. My first concern is the cause of the popping; however, I would also like to eliminate the white noise.

-Jonathan.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sounds like a dirty volume control. They can get “scratchy” like that over time.

Try popping the receiver's cover and see if you can access the back side of the volume control. If you can, and you can see a small hole somewhere in it, try spraying some tuner cleaner in it, and work the volume control back and forth its entire sweep a few times. That should clear it up.

Of course, you want to do this with the thing off and unplugged. And try to avoid touching any of the circuitry – capacitors can shock you.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
"white noise" would not come from a speaker. All a speaker does is play the signal it is fed.

Along with checking your volume control, check all of your connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks