What's new

Expected Lamp Life vs. RPTV Tube Life (1 Viewer)

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Hey all -
I tried searching on this but couldn't find any information. I am currently trying to decide if I should go with a projector or a RPTV. I have read thru the threads here and I think I pretty much have a good idea on the basic pros and cons of both. Whichever system is purchased would be used approx 2 hours per day for both movie and tv viewing (more on weekends). My question is this:
What is the real world life span of the bulbs in the projectors? The ~$500 bulb replacemnet could get costly if I have to do it often. Also are the CRT's in the HD RPTV's as reliable as in the older types. These CRT's generally last for many years right?
Thanks for any ideas!
Jeff

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
For Lamp Projectors, life of bulb varies from a 1000 hours to around 4000 hours for the most long lasting. New bulb expense varies from model to model. It's always prudent to factor new bulb cost and bulb life into your initial purchase cost. Lamp Projector solutions look cheaper than they really are in the long run.
Average CRT life is roughly around 10,000 hours. They do start aging before and light output decreases.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My projector, a now out-of-production Philips SV20i, has a 4000 hour UHP bulb, and the cost to replace it is just $200.
I've owned the projector since late August of last year and have "only" put 640 hours on the bulb so far.
At that rate, I'll need a new bulb in 6 years!
laugh.gif

Seriously, I simply put aside $15/month for a new bulb. This is a very small price to pay for the large picture and the aspect ratio versatility the digital projector provides over the RPTV.
Joseph
[Edited last by Joseph Bolus on August 30, 2001 at 06:16 PM]

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Great thanks for the replies. I guess that is pretty much what I had thought but it is nice to get other opinions.
Thanks,
Jeff

J

John Morris

Jeff: Joseph inadvertently points out another factor which you should use when you decide to buy either a FP or RPTV. That factor is how, and how much, you plan on using your new video unit. Joseph has used his unit only 640 hours in over a year of ownership. Most likely, he uses his projector only for DVD/movie viewing. I will be using my next new video unit up to 12 hours a day since it will also be my primary household TV. I could reach 1000 hours in as little as 4 months, increasing my bulb costs past what I want to pay. Other factors which preclude a front projector for me are the lack of ambient light control and the need for kids to run the TV. So, I'll be getting a new RPTV, and not a front projector whenever I get enough money together to buy one.
Good Luck with your purchase!!!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks