What's new

Expect Star Trek TNG DVD in season box sets in february 2002 ! (1 Viewer)

Bertrand B

Grip
www.darkhorizons.com has a confirmation about Star Trek: The Next Generation DVD coming next february.
Here is what it says:
"I spoke with a rep from Paramount who gave us a video presentation on new upcoming DVD releases, and after the presentation was finished I was able to approach the gentleman with my two questions. No word on Indiana Jones, nothing signed, nothing planned. Star Trek: TNG, is in the works, and he gave me February for the release of the First Season on DVD. The second season would follow in April and they plan on releasing each season over the next year. How ya like them apples?".
Of course I think we would appreciate very much if Martin Blythe could confirm this news.(I also believe the 17th of August is coming and a announcement of Star Trek The Motion Picture Director's Edition will be available soon).
[Edited last by Bertrand B on August 16, 2001 at 10:06 AM]

todd s

Senior HTF Member
One season every other month. I hope this is true. I will be psyched. But, my wallet will be bummed. I like this release schedule much more than one season every 6 months. With 7 seasons, I don't want to wait 4 years for the entire run of the show. Not even counting the other 2 series(which of course I will be getting)
Oh, please be true!!!!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
This would be interesting if we could get confirmation. I would have found it more likely for it to be 1 season every 6 months, with the series themselves rotating ever 2 months, looking something like this:
February TNG season 1
April VOY season 1
June DS9 season 1
followed by
August TNG season 2
October VOY season 2
December DS9 season 2
rinse, repeat.
To me this would make more sense from a marketing standpoint - people who only want one of the series won't be crippled by releasing it every 2 months, and people who want all three will get a shiny new season every 2 months. Also, this would provide for the 4 year revenue stream described earlier.
I can't wait to hear Martin's announcement when it arrives.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

todd s

Senior HTF Member
John,
My only problem with your release schedule is that I would have to wait another year and half for season 3 of TNG. Which, is when the show hit it's stride.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Does anyone know how many discs are in each box set (based on a certain # of episodes per disc)? I would get all the seasons, but if there's only 2 eps per disc I'd need a bigger house (or a stack of 1/2-thickness jewel cases) to store them in!
KJP

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Todd,
A year and a half would make some of those cliffhangers unbearable.
smiley_dizzy.gif

I like both schedules, actually. Much better than having to wait a year/half a year between boxes like I was expecting.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I would imagine four eps per disc. Any more, and you start getting image degradation. Any less, and you have one huge boxed set, since there are typically about 26 episodes per season. I think X-Files does four per disc.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I personally have found 3 per disc to be optimal for video quality (Stargate SG-1 disc 5 looks better than any of my other TV discs sans Farscape). 4/disc is fine, but with 5, the video takes a VERY noticeable hit. I hope MGM has listened and expanded Season 2 to 6 discs
Jeff Kleist

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Three would be fine. Fortunately, when this topic came up a while back, Martin said something like, "I'm glad you guys understand about too much compression degrading quality." I took that as his way of saying, "So, don't complain if they cost a little more!" :) I know I won't. Sticker shock fades after a while. Bad video quality doesn't.
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on August 16, 2001 at 02:53 PM]

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
YES! YES! YES!
I guess I'd better start putting money aside.
I'll be buying TNG and DS9. I have no interest in Voyager even though I watched the show.

JamesHromadka

Stunt Coordinator
Todd,
A year and a half would make some of those cliffhangers unbearable.
I like both schedules, actually. Much better than having to wait a year/half a year between boxes like I was expecting.

Exactly. I had the benefit of not watching TNG until its 5th season, so I watched all the earlier episodes in syndication. I couldn't imagine waiting 3 months for the end of "Best of Both Worlds", much less 6 months between the 3rd & 4th season DVDs.
------------------
James Hromadka
Senior Editor - VisorCentral.com
My DVD Collection

Jodee

Screenwriter
Well the good thing is you really wouldn't have to wait a year and a half for a cliffhanger, since TNN is supposed to start running all the TNGs and other Treks starting this fall, I believe. I am happy these are coming to prime-time, as my local channel only plays Star Trek TNG re-runs at 1:00 am. Thankfully, I have a ReplayTV, but I'll definitely watch them more if they are on at a reasonable time.
Of course, once I own the DVDs, I'll never have to watch them on TV :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I am eagerly awaiting the release of The Motion Picture. I hope Paramount makes an announcement on The Next Generation soon as well. I'm looking forward to the release of TNG as well as the other two series. Season box sets is the way to go! I'm having a hard time collecting all of The Original Series discs due to the cost. I hope the other DVD's are done as well sound and picture wise as TOS. I hope they will include many features on the newer shows. Paramount - Feel free to make an announcement on all of this very soon!!

Timothy Doane

Auditioning
Ah my prayers have finally been answered :) Hell I'd pay $200 a season for TNG and DS9. Just don't tell Paramount that!!
-Tim
p.s.
Any news on any supplemental material?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Folks, I can tell you if the only way you've seen ST:TNG is on Cable or Satellite TV, you haven't seen the show. I have a great deal of the episodes on LaserDisc. The episodes on LaserDisc are so much better than broadcast/cable/DSS it's tough to describe. I know the DVDs are going to be better than the lasers video-wise. Unfortunately the DVDs will almost certainly have inferior low bandwidth DD2.0 sound. The CD quality PCM prologic on the Lasers is excellent.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

CameronS

Supporting Actor
It's even worse now Philip!
If you live in the states, the only way to watch Star Trek: TNG will be on TNN (We've got POP) starting on 10.01.01.
If you've ever seen how TNN presents reruns of TV shows or movies you know what I mean. There is a black bar with the shows name that runs across the bottom of the screen throughout the entire length of the program. Not only that, but the bright and shiny TNN logo is stamped permently in the lower right hand corner of the screen. It's not one of those nice semi-transparant ones either.
angry.gif

I think I'll wait for the DVDs.
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I hope the lack of any response from Martin or Paramount bodes well that this info might be correct.
Paramount, if you release it, I will buy....

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
Do you suppose Paramount could contact our friends at Warner and figure out how to Pan & Scan Wesley Crusher out of Season 1?
Hey, I had to ask.
Count me in for a purchase as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks