What's new

Exclusive First Look: Twilight Time May/June 2014 Releases (1 Viewer)

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Great selection, variety, some true classics. I will be upgrading to BD on several of them, The Train, Fate is the Hunter, The Mechanic, The Man From Laramie, and finally obtaining Two Rode Together, an outstanding film.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
ROclockCK said:
I recall mention of The Effect of Gamma Rays... about a year or so ago Eddie, but wasn't the other one just 5 Fingers without 'Dr. T'?
Yes, it was. I'm getting my Columbia titles with the terms "5"(,000) and "Fingers" in them mixed up.

Though now I think they should just do both!

Another question for Twilight Time:

Two Rode Together was only just released in a "John Ford: The Columbia Films" DVD box set from TCM, so it's strange to see it so soon from a different distributor on Blu-ray (not that I'm complaining!). Is there a chance any of the other films featured in that box set will be making their way to Twilight Time Blu-ray in the future?

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Probably The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T is just awaiting some 'happy finger method' playing by 'Dr. Crisp' and his band. I do hope we eventually see that one on Blu...its Technicolor was quite the trip.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
5 Fingers won't happen. Twilight Time said over a year ago that it was dropped due to poor elements, same with April Love.
EddieLarkin said:
Two Rode Together was only just released in a "John Ford: The Columbia Films" DVD box set from TCM, so it's strange to see it so soon from a different distributor on Blu-ray (not that I'm complaining!). Is there a chance any of the other films featured in that box set will be making their way to Twilight Time Blu-ray in the future?
You mean
?

I'd buy that on blu.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Nice diverse list of movies. Looking forward to getting The Train and Man from Laramie.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
EddieLarkin said:
What is the run time of The Train? Apparently the "UK cut" runs 6-7mins longer.
That's what it says on IMDB, but the UK DVD has a running time of 128 minutes (according to Amazon.UK) so I'm skeptical that there has ever been a 140 minute version. If there had been a 140 minute version, I would expect that there would be some complaints about the UK DVD, but I don't see any.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Billy Batson said:
A nice list, but no must-haves for me. Oh well, saved a bit of money, maybe something later in the year.
I imagine that no matter what list of titles TT releases, somebody, somewhere will have the same reaction. You just can't please everybody as our tastes in films are too diverse.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Definitely want the Thunderbirds double feature. I hope the DVD extras get ported over. The DVD transfers were framed really tight compared to the letterboxed LD's, so it will be interesting to see how these turn out.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Dear Twilight Time.

Please stop releasing absolutely superb, must-buy films.

Signed
My Bank Manager

Rollerball for me. My list of top 100 films not on Blu-ray Disc is now below 15, and TT are very much to thank for that.

A little advance information on how it looks/sounds would be very much appreciated.

Steve W

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
THE TRAIN! Slowly, the United Artists stuff that MGM released letterboxed but not 16x9 on DVD is trickling out. For a while, MGM itself was giving us some of this (SOME LIKE IT HOT, THE APARTMENT) and Criterion has brought out 12 ANGRY MEN, KISS ME DEADLY, LA CAGE AUX FOLLES and a number of others.

But the rather long list of UA widescreen titles not yet available on Blu-ray remains formidable:

Alamo, The (1960)
Bananas
Best Man, The
Birdman Of Alcatraz, The
Bride Wore Black, The
Coming Home
Days Of Wine and Roses
Defiant Ones, The
Dogs of War, The
End, The
Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex...
Exodus
Funny Thing Happened To Me On the Way to the Forum, A
Great Train Robbery, The (1978)
Hound Of the Baskervilles (1959)
I Want To Live!
Jack the Giant Killer
Judgment At Nuremberg
Juggernaut
Kiss Before Dying, A (1955)
Lenny
Love and Death
Magic Sword, The
Man With the Golden Arm, The
Marty
Miracle Worker, The
Moby Dick (1956)
Night Of the Shooting Stars
Night They Raided Minsky's, The
Offence, The
One Two Three
On the Beach
Party, The
Pink Panther (entire series)
Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, The
Red River
Return Of A Man Called Horse, The
Semi-Tough
Small Change (aka Pocket Money)
Smile
Stardust Memories
Story Of Adele H., The
Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter
Thieves Like Us
Tom Jones
Topkapi
Trapeze
Unforgiven, The (1960)
Vikings, The
What's New Pussycat?
Who'll Stop the Rain?
Wild Child, The
Witness For the Prosecution
Women In Love
World Of Henry Orient, The

...plus scores more that other people here might add.

I hope that, between Criterion, Twilight Time and other indie labels, a good chunk of the above titles can be added to our shelves.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah Dick, what a great catalogue, & it hasn't had much joy with its various owners, some very poor DVD's & not many Blu-ray releases. A few I'd like not on your list.The Vikings '58Run silent, Run Deep '58The Hound Of The Baskervilles (Hammer)'59Taras Bulba '62Kings Of The Sun '63Irma La Douce '63The Seventh Dawn '64633 Squadron '64The Knack '65The Charge Of The Light Brigade '68The Bridge At Remagen '69The Music Lovers '71The Honkers '72 - This one is like a lost movieIf I had to pick a top five it would be:The VikingsThe AlamoA Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The ForumThe Charge Of The Light BrigadeThe Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
I am so excited by these releases. I have been dying to replace my old non-anamorphic dvd's of Rollerball and The Train. It makes me so happy that so many of the movies on my want lists are coming out properly. My dream titles would honestly be Alamo Roadshow cut and Hallelujah Trail 2:76 ratio blu, but we all know that MGM has not remastered those yet..and I'm not sure, but I don't think TT can request that MGM remasters titles....it'd be great if they had that clout but I doubt it. Hopefully both of those come out before it is too late to remaster them successfully. I never in a million years imagined that It's a Mad Mad Mad World would come out in it's roadshow cut..so I suppose anything is possible.
To get back to wanted titles...I've seen these in HD prints around the channels, so hopefully these can maybe come out.
Meteor- I LOVE disaster flicks and this is a guilty pleasure of mine. I have the PAL dvd from Germany but can't watch it..the Pal speedup is noticable.
The Great Train Robbery- Love the book and love the movie. It needs a upgrade from the old 4x3 LBX dvd.
Moby Dick- A classic that has not even been in OAR on dvd. A widescreen upgrade would be most appreciated.
Judgement at Nuremberg, Inherit the Wind, On the Beach, The Defiant Ones, Pride and the Passion. All of these Kramer titles were 4x3 LBX on dvd. Upgrade needed stat :)
Convoy- A favorite Peckinpah of mine that has been mistreated on dvd. MGM has shown a 16:9 2:35 proper HD master..while it doesn't look amazing...it would still be better than the cruddy dvd's...and my pal spedup german dvd.
Hound of the Baskervilles.- One of my all time favorites. Have heard that the HD master on MGM HD looks phenomenal..why not share the love to those who can't get that channel :(
On the Fox front..I'd love to get Strange Days blu-ray. A favorite sci-fi of mine that has only had a 4x3 LBX dvd from the early days of the format.

I can think of a TON more, but this would be a good start.

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
Dick said:
THE TRAIN! Slowly, the United Artists stuff that MGM released letterboxed but not 16x9 on DVD is trickling out. For a while, MGM itself was giving us some of this (SOME LIKE IT HOT, THE APARTMENT) and Criterion has brought out 12 ANGRY MEN, KISS ME DEADLY, LA CAGE AUX FOLLES and a number of others.

But the rather long list of UA widescreen titles not yet available on Blu-ray remains formidable:

Alamo, The (1960)
Bananas
Best Man, The
Birdman Of Alcatraz, The
Bride Wore Black, The
Coming Home
Days Of Wine and Roses
Defiant Ones, The
Dogs of War, The
End, The
Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex...
Exodus
Funny Thing Happened To Me On the Way to the Forum, A
Great Train Robbery, The (1978)
I Want To Live!
Jack the Giant Killer
Judgment At Nuremberg
Juggernaut
Kiss Before Dying, A (1955)
Lenny
Love and Death
Magic Sword, The
Man With the Golden Arm, The
Marty
Miracle Worker, The
Moby Dick (1956)
Night Of the Shooting Stars
Night They Raided Minsky's, The
Offence, The
One Two Three
On the Beach
Party, The
Pink Panther (entire series)
Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, The
Red River
Return Of A Man Called Horse, The
Semi-Tough
Small Change (aka Pocket Money)
Smile
Stardust Memories
Story Of Adele H., The
Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter
Thieves Like Us
Tom Jones
Topkapi
Trapeze
Unforgiven, The (1960)
What's New Pussycat?
Who'll Stop the Rain?
Wild Child, The
Witness For the Prosecution
Women In Love
World Of Henry Orient, The

...plus scores more that other people here might add.

I hope that, between Criterion, Twilight Time and other indie labels, a good chunk of the above titles can be added to our shelves.
Fantastic list, RIck. I would love to see any of these released. And wouldn't it be especially nice if Criterion could reconstruct the roadshow version of "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes" the way they recently did "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World?"

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
It's not an MGM/UA title, but it would be great also to see "The Three Worlds of Gulliver" released. The other three films Ray Harryhausen made with Bernard Herrmann (greatest film composer ever) have also been released (Sinbad, Island, Jason), it would be nice to have a complete set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks