What's new

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time May 2019 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Nick ensure me too that "Warlock" will be coming from them after the 4K transfer was completed. God, I miss him as I would have loved to listen to him and Julie talking about this film and its underlying themes. Nick's passing is a loss to all film buffs.:emoji_sob:

I feel the same way. The commentaries are priceless but so is their knowledge of film.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
A fine lineup. In particular, I've been waiting for BABY THE RAIN MUST FALL. I never got the DVD as I love the look of the film, the quality of the light and the grey scale and tonal differences between Steve McQueen and Lee Remick, which is where I think this film excels and is not simply photographic but pure emotion. Also the landscape. the roughness of things, and how that unfinished, somewhat lonesome quality seeps into the story and also Steve McQueeen's persona.

MORITURI is arguably the most strikingly photographed black and white Fox Cinemascope film, which is more than reason enough to own it. Also Brando is pretty fine in it, though I never understood what was supposed to be going on plot-wise.

I loved BANDOLERO when it was new. It's a strange mix of classic western and spaghetti which worked for me at the time. I particularly remember liking Dean Martin in it.

WARLOCK is arguably the best adult western of the 1950's. I assume other board members who have seen it will not think I'm being hyperbolic by stating that. Again, in my view, it's the only post-blacklist film of Edward Dmytryk that has the fire, visual intensity and passion of his 1940's noirs. For me, this is Henry Fonda's best performance of the 1950's, and I think his best until ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. I think this is Anthony Quinn's best performance period, though he does comparable work in LAST TRAIN FROM GUN HILL. And yes, I'm not going to forget Dorothy Malone, one of my favorite actresses.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Morituri is definitely NOT in CinemaScope. Aspect ratio is 1.85:1
This is what happens when one relies on 50+ year old memories. I could have sworn it was in Cinemascope when I saw it.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Warlock Finally !!! : ) Goodbye German Bluray ! PQ is dvd quality. I hope it looks as Nice as The Bravado's TwTi Bluray.

Reactions: PMF

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Great list!
I'll get at least three of these (<b>Warlock</b>, with several interesting layers and some unforgettable scenes in it, is brilliant).
Finally get proper BDs, I'm hoping.

I hesitate about <b>Baby, the Rain Must Fall</b>, though. Never been a real fan of Steve McQueen and the story doesn't attract me particularly either.
I don't have it on DVD. Some posts in this thread make me wonder, though. Continue reading....

Cees

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
April and May have mostly Fox titles, which I do not mind. Some great titles.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
April and May have mostly Fox titles, which I do not mind. Some great titles.

Enjoy them while you can. Since Fox (as we knew and loved it) no longer exists and is now devoured by the Disney juggernaut, who knows what will happen. TT already canceled their previously announced The Iron Horse because of the uncertainty of the merger. Disney hasn't been forthcoming with their non animated catalog titles (20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, the Happiest Millionaire, In Search Of The Castaways, The Moonspinners, That Darn Cat, Darby O'Gill And The Little People, Light In The Forest etc.) on blu ray so there's no reason to believe their attitude toward their Fox acquisition will be any different. Would love to be proved wrong!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Disney has licensed out Touchstone, Selznick, and ABC Films. I do see any reason why they would not continue to license out titles to boutique labels. But we will see.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Enjoy them while you can. Since Fox (as we knew and loved it) no longer exists and is now devoured by the Disney juggernaut, who knows what will happen. TT already canceled their previously announced The Iron Horse because of the uncertainty of the merger. Disney hasn't been forthcoming with their non animated catalog titles (20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, the Happiest Millionaire, In Search Of The Castaways, The Moonspinners, That Darn Cat, Darby O'Gill And The Little People, Light In The Forest etc.) on blu ray so there's no reason to believe their attitude toward their Fox acquisition will be any different. Would love to be proved wrong!

I plan to and would also like to be proven wrong. I'm still convinced Disney does not care about anything but using the Fox library for the new streaming service they are launching. They will most likely still license titles, but in packages and to other labels also.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Even if Disney does license Fox titles out, I’m nearly certain the wonderful remastering work Fox did will stop. Aside from their animation classics, Disney seems more than happy to make do with older, lackluster transfers of their catalogue titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks