What's new

Press Release HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time June 2019 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
If y’all ever get a chance, check out the Phil Harris & Alice Faye Radio Show On SiriusXM Radio Classics.
That show is always a riot, especially when bratty wise guy kid Julius shows up on the scene.

=====
Phil Harris: “shucks Julius, we set up camp 3 days ago and it’s rained every minute of the day”

Julius: “No wonder schmuck, you pitched your tent under a waterfall “.

I've long been a fan of the Harris/Faye show.

These Fox musicals fall into a gap in my film knowledge and experience, but I'm definitely interested in checking them out.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I had or still have buried somewhere TIN PAN ALLEY that is MIA on disc to date. One wonders where the Fox titles will sit now that Disney now own them. And where is State Fair(1933)? We got a Blu Ray of Cavalcade(1933).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I bought the iTunes version of State Fair to stream, and it's definitely in need of work. Fox wouldn't put the streaming transfer on a disc, I don't think. But now that DIsney is in control, who knows?

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Releasing three musicals and a British film appears to be an annual trend with TT now as last June they released My Gal Sal, My Sister Eileen, Let's Make Love and Take a Girl Like You.

I'm in for the Fox titles and only hope they look as good as My Gal Sal. Centennial Summer is another title where I hope the clearance/release issues can be resolved. And as stated above, I'd love to see a release of Springtime in the Rockies along with Billy Rose's Diamond Horseshoe. The latter title may have clearance issues as well since I don't believe it's ever been released in any home video format.
There is a DVD release of Billy Rose's Diamond Horseshoe from Australia.

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the iTunes version of State Fair to stream, and it's definitely in need of work. Fox wouldn't put the streaming transfer on a disc, I don't think. But now that DIsney is in control, who knows?
State Fair (1933) has a brand new 4k transfer and is part of the Park Circus catalogue.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Not my genre here but am delighted nonetheless that true classics like these are coming to blu-ray. Hope more from this era make it in future. These classic Fox titles are always welcome.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Would have liked a CinemaScope title and it would seem wiser to me to stagger the Grable titles
Will we ever see PRINCE OF PLAYERS with the superb Herrmann score? It has been broadcast in CinemaScope in HD ,so a restored master has been done.
THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE was restored about ten years ago and screened in cinemas. What about a 2.55:1 HD transfer? I also second the desire for the rights issues to be resolved re CENTENNIAL SUMMER. Great Kern score and top cast. Great use of Technicolor.
Hoping for THE VIEW FROM POMPEY'S HEAD with the terrific Bernstein score and the little seen Fliescher movie CRACK IN THE MIRROR with Orson Welles ,Juliette Greco and Bradford Dillman all in dual roles.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Would have liked a CinemaScope title and it would seem wiser to me to stagger the Grable titles
Will we ever see PRINCE OF PLAYERS with the superb Herrmann score? It has been broadcast in CinemaScope in HD ,so a restored master has been done.
THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE was restored about ten years ago and screened in cinemas. What about a 2.55:1 HD transfer? I also second the desire for the rights issues to be resolved re CENTENNIAL SUMMER. Great Kern score and top cast. Great use of Technicolor.
Hoping for THE VIEW FROM POMPEY'S HEAD with the terrific Bernstein score and the little seen Fliescher movie CRACK IN THE MIRROR with Orson Welles ,Juliette Greco and Bradford Dillman all in dual roles.
Lionel, I am becoming increasingly puzzled by the non-appearance on disc of Crack In The Mirror.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Releasing three musicals and a British film appears to be an annual trend with TT now as last June they released My Gal Sal, My Sister Eileen, Let's Make Love and Take a Girl Like You.

I'm in for the Fox titles and only hope they look as good as My Gal Sal. Centennial Summer is another title where I hope the clearance/release issues can be resolved. And as stated above, I'd love to see a release of Springtime in the Rockies along with Billy Rose's Diamond Horseshoe. The latter title may have clearance issues as well since I don't believe it's ever been released in any home video format.
I would also like to see 1948's When My Baby Smiles at Me with Betty Grable. Favorite Alice Faye musical is 1940's Tin Pan Alley. Neither has been released in any format to my knowledge.

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure there are restored DCP transferS for Down Argentine Way, Moon Over Miami and 3 Little Girls in Blue. So, maybe Twilight Time also have them and may release them in the near future.

I also think there are DCP transfers for That Night in Rio (as it was part of the Foc Bluray Blu, along Hello Frisco Hello, My Gal Sal and Pin Up Girl), and The Dolly Sisters, as it was restored by MTI. Let's hope they all find their way to Blu ray.

I would also want Margie, Centennial Summer (never released in any home video format) and Tin Pan Alley (only available in VHS).

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I am sure there are restored DCP transferS for Down Argentine Way, Moon Over Miami and 3 Little Girls in Blue. So, maybe Twilight Time also have them and may release them in the near future.

I also think there are DCP transfers for That Night in Rio (as it was part of the Foc Bluray Blu, along Hello Frisco Hello, My Gal Sal and Pin Up Girl), and The Dolly Sisters, as it was restored by MTI. Let's hope they all find their way to Blu ray.

I would also want Margie, Centennial Summer (never released in any home video format) and Tin Pan Alley (only available in VHS).

From your lips to God's ears regarding Three Little Girls in Blue. The DVD-r is a disaster!

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Already celebrating June for these fantastic musical releases.

I agree with all the titles contained in the wish lists above but would also include Weekend in Havana and Rose of Washington Square for Alice Faye and Sweet Rosie O’Grady for Betty Grable (her scene in the bathtub singing My heart tells me is iconic).

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Re above mention of an official Australian release of BILLY ROSE'S DIAMOND HORSESHOE: This is not the case from what I can gather and I live in Melbourne. Some local ebay sellers are selling copies either taken fron FMC in the USA or from the VHS releases in the US & UK.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Re above mention of an official Australian release of BILLY ROSE'S DIAMOND HORSESHOE: This is not the case from what I can gather and I live in Melbourne. Some local ebay sellers are selling copies either taken fron FMC in the USA or from the VHS releases in the US & UK.
Thanks for the update. Gotta watch those ebay guys.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I too would love Tin Pan Alley.
Also would love to see a restoration of Three Little Girls in Blue
And Bette in that Lady in Ermine, just to have the wonderful Alfred Newman underscore.

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
I'm afraid I'm with the "nothing for me, this time" guys. I have my sights on Admirable Crichton, The River's Edge and Black Widow, when the budget permits. Just finished watching Major Dundee and The Best Of Everything from the last sale, both of which were extremely good buys.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann

YES! This is one of my most wanted and I've yet to see the restored CinemaScope broadcast, but am so pleased that there's no usual "too expensive to become a reality" pediment to a possible blu-ray release. Twilight Time, how about it?

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
If they are focusing on Grable, why not release her last Fox film which has never had a CinemaScope transfer : HOW TO BE VERY, VERY POPULAR? It was meant to co-star Marilyn Monroe, so when she turned it down to study at the Actor's Studio, Sheree North was given the role and appears to have been told to "act like Monroe". (She had a better role in NO DOWN PAYMENT and even in THE LIEUTENANT WORE SKIRTS, which may also have been meant for Marilyn and has a hilarious sequence in which Rita Moreno does a satirical imitation of Marilyn in 7 YEAR ITCH)
The supporting cast in POPULAR is interesting (Charles Coburn, Alice Pearce, Fred Clark ) and it's a remake of a Bing Crosby/Miriam Hopkins comedy SHE LOVES ME NOT. No Oscar winner, but I think it was Grable's final film for any studio.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks