What's new

Everything from scratch, $7000 budget, want computer connectivity (1 Viewer)

tsmaka

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd Smaka
My mind is swirling from all the information out there on the internet. Can anyone please help reorient me so I know what sorts of things I should be considering?

Background

We haven't had any AV equipment, not even a TV, for about 6 years. We just moved into our first house and would like to set up a home theater system. We have about $7000 budgeted for this, though we could go slightly higher if it made sense. We don't play video games (yet?), we watch TV and movies almost exclusively in the form of internet content or iTunes purchases on my 15" MacBook Pro, and we listen to music via an iPod attached to a small iPod dock with speakers.

We like action movies as well as animated movies. We listen to a lot of jazz, some classical, and also a fair amount of dance/pop (a strange combination, I know!)

The room is 32x16, which is actually a 17x16 family room plus a 15x16 kitchen, with 9'-4" ceilings. We want to be able to listen to music while working in the kitchen. I'm attaching a drawing.

It is pre-wired for in-ceiling speakers toward the rear of the family room - I put red dots on the drawing where the ceiling speakers wires are located.

What I already have

We recently purchased a wall unit in anticipation of getting a TV someday. The opening for the TV will accommodate a 55" panel (maybe even 58", but that would be very tight - definitely not 60".)

From years ago, I have the following, though I wonder if I sell it and start over:

Denon AVR-1601

Klipsch center speaker (lowest model)

Klipsch tower (lowest model) - the other one is blown, thanks to a former roommate :(

Klipsch bookshelf speakers (2) I had used as surround speakers, but our room isn't set up for those types of speakers.

What I would like

I want to be able to deliver high quality sound (music) to the kitchen as well as enjoy an action movie. I would like to be able to get content off a network rather than via discs or CDs, though I'm willing to consider a BlueRay player in addition to the internet content. I have a network router (Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station), but understand I may need something else.

What I'm considering

TV

55" panel, not 3D, but I'm torn between plasma, LCD, and LED-LCD. I hear Samsung is great. Any thoughts?

Speakers

http://www.aperionaudio.com/

A friend at work has a set and loves them. I think the speakers for my size room would cost about $2500 for two towers, a center, a subwoofer, and two in-ceiling surround speakers. Again, any thoughts?

Receiver + Computer stuff

This is the confusing stuff for me. Does a media center make sense? With an internet ready TV, do I really need to run things through a computer anymore? What's the best way to get music from my network drive to the stereo? I hear Xbox or PlayStation or Wii or whatever can actually accomplish a lot of what I want to do. I liked my Denon, but I don't think it has the outputs I would need. I would like to stay with Denon, but I friend tried Denon and Yamaha and preferred the Yamaha. Arghh! Too much going on to know! I just want to be able to watch a movie online, or via our network, or even on a disc, as well as listen to music over our network, and to be able to control it all via the remote rather than have to go to the computer in the other room.

Thanks for all your advice!!!

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Im not an audio guy, but ill recommend a TV. In my experience, go with plasma. For the size you are looking, Id recommend a 58" S2 (what I just bought), if you are going to have a calibrator out(larger screen). A 54" G20/25 has THX mode, so that's a good option for you if you aren't going to calibrate, because THX mode is pretty nice outta the box. It's a little more, and is still a great option for a calibrator because they can dial in better colors with the THX mode. Finally, the best set, would be the 58" or 65" VT25. It's the cream of the crop Plasma, outta all brands, and it does 3D very well in case you decide on it in the future. It's calibrator friendly and handles film well, but it'll cost ya more.

I've been buying my tv's off Amazon, and it works fine. The 58" S2 was $1300 last time I looked, and thats just a steal. Samsung Plasma's are nice, little better/accurate color than Panny, but reliability and blacks is where the Panny wins. I understand LG's Plasmas are looking nice this year, BUT, their repair history bothers me so Id stay away another year.

Now, LCD's. I just sold a 55" LED with local dimming, to go back to plasma(on my 3rd plasma). TV looked good straight on, handled film very smoothly, but the blooming is an issue, as well as colors washing as you get off angle. This can be an issue if you have some people over to watch the game. The local dimming tech offers great blacks when the scene allows, but the blooming, and loss of shadow detail it brings is a big minus. Many calibrators are turning off LD tech when they calibrate a TV, because of these issues. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice set, but it wasn't a plasma. To me, straight on, I prefer the look of a show/movie on a plasma over an LCD, but thats definitely a personal preference.

If you go LCD, LED is fine, but stay away from local dimming, at this point. The Samsung 8500 last year had 200 dimmable zones, which decreased blooming when one zone was lit and one was off (light bleed), but I think these sets need to get to 500+ before they really get good. My set was a Toshiba Regza 670u with 96, and it was horrible with regards to blooming. If a person walked across a dark room, you could see the zones turn on and off, and it's a little distracting.

My other issue with LCD's is price. Last year, the flagship LED, the Sammy 8500 was $4200 in the 55" model, and at the same time the 65" Panny top of the line plasma could be had for a little over $3000.

Hopefully I did not bore you, just sharing some experience. Gregg Loewen, who's a member here, and who also calibrates my crap, is a good person to talk to.

tsmaka

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd Smaka
Thanks, Jason. I just got back from the Sony Store and Best Buy and must admit I was quite impressed with the plasmas, especially in the dark areas of the screen. I must admit I couldn't tell too much of a difference in the motion on the 600 Hz plasmas and the 120 Hz LCDs, but I didn't study that too much. Especially considering the cost, I was just about sold on the plasmas until I walked out of the dark show room and into the brightly-lit main show room. I noticed a pretty big difference in glare between the plasmas and LCDs. Then again, this was from a 45-degree angle, but it was such a turn-off for me.

Our viewing room has a big sliding-glass door to the right as you look at the screen. Thankfully it's north-facing and goes out to a covered patio, so the light wouldn't be too direct. However, the kitchen would be behind the viewer as the viewer looks at the TV, so I'm concerned about glare coming from the kitchen lights. What's your experience with this?

Finally, the 58" won't work after all as it's horizontal dimension is 56" and the maximum width our wall unit can handle is 55.5". Since 3D would be wasted expense for now, I think for plasma the Panasonic 54" G20/25 or S2 would be the way to go. I lean toward the G20 or 25, but can't seem find what the difference is. If I can't get past the glare issue, then we'll probably get either the Samsung 55" 6800 or the Sony 52" NX800.

Maybe I need to explore the glare issue in more detail. Thanks again for your advice.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
The G25 is video cam capable, for web calls and monitoring security and such, as far as I know. That's it.

The THX mode of the G's is awesome, and definitely an added benefit.

Glare can be an issue, maybe Im used to it. The newer Panasonics have very good AR filters, and the G series is BETTER than the S series. Watch out for the shiny Samsung LCD screens too, because my glossy Toshiba screen was worse than the S2 I have now.

No problem, enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks