What's new

Everwood on DVD September 7th (2 Viewers)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

Yet, that is in direct contradiction to what they stated at the WGN announcement in 2002. I heard this same crap for CSI season 1 about the "production" office who subsequently thought S2 should be widescreen now that they didn't get to cheap out using the UK S1 release sources. What's the explanation for Without a Trace and The West Wing??

I would like a full explanation from this "source" and what their position is. We have the former Network President at the time stating these shows are superior with a wide scope. Last week it was all 4:3, now they've changed to this episode and that episode. I don't think they have a clue based on their recent releases.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Joseph, the 4x3 information came from a press site, not from a person. It's obviously wrong, and should be updated to reflect both the 4x3 and 16x9 information. Keep in mind that Fox's press site ALWAYS lists their 16x9 shows as being 4x3, even after we point it out to them that it's wrong.

I don't know what else to say about this.

Gord

Martin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Gord for checking in with Warner Brothers.

I'm tempted to go all cynical about their "checking with the Everwood office", but anyhoo.

Personally I'll wait for the reviews of this Set. If the extras are any good I might buy it, but from where I'm standing Everwood in 4x3 is not worth spending my limited budget.

Gaby:)

Grip
Thank goodness for checking in with the office, Gord. I am pleased to know Pilot and Home are widescreen. And you know, this site should put a notice on the article saying this. Not everyone visits these forums. I sure didn't until Everwood DVD was announced. And I've been visiting this site for ages.

Gaby:)

Martin_C

Stunt Coordinator
They did post that info on the site, but it got lost due to server problems. Oh, I see its back up now:

tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1646

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Even when that's the right way to watch it? If they were all fullscreen I might agree, but if two episodes are specifically widescreen that tells me that that's the way they were meant to be seen.

Brooke

Stunt Coordinator

If that's the way they were meant to be seen then why were they all shot in high def widescreen? There's probably a big difference between how the studio view that it is 'meant' to be seen and how the people making the show view how it is 'meant' to be seen. I'd rather see it how the makers of the show wanted it shown - in high def widescreen.

It's just lazy and it'll date the show. Let's face it, eventually, we'll all be watching widescreen TVs so when they have the opportunity to preserve something for future viewing, why not do it in the way everybody will be viewing in the future?

I'll climb down from the soap box now.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

The shows were made for and broadcast originally in 1.85:1 High Definition Widescreen from episode one of season one. I'm sorry you missed it. Apparently you also missed what the network president had to say.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Except the production office told WB to release the first and last episodes in widescreen and the rest in fullscreen.

Gord

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
First of all, high def is 1.78:1, not 1.85:1. Second of all, just because the high-def broadcasts were all widescreen doesn't neccessarily make it the defacto aspect ratio. Third of all, you quoted the network president's comments out of context. Everwood was mentioned as part of a network-wide push towards HD broadcast. We all know that "Everwood" was shot to protect for high-def; that's not being disputed. What matters is aspect ratio was intended. Mr. Mullen doesn't comment anywhere about artistic intent.

If the studio were going to screw up the AR, they wouldn't go through the trouble of 16x9 for two episodes and 4x3 for the rest of them.

The simple fact of the matter is that the DVDs are being presented as originally broadcast for the vast majority of people, and all indications are that that is how they were meant to be broadcast.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
We have no such indications.

Why should we support Warner with our money when we have zero indication that they will release any TV DVD in its OAR?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just because you don't want to acknowledge it doesn't make it so. The vast majority of the TV audience still views the standard definition broadcasts. And the standard definition broadcasts had ARs matching what WB says were going to be getting.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Being a car-less college student, I hitched a ride with some people hitting Walmart under the delusion that'd I'd be able to pick up "Clerks X."

This was not the case :angry: due to Walmart's Puritanical policies, so I ended up picking up Everwood: Season 1 instead.

The quality is excellent, and the special features are decent. The rapport between Treat Williams and Berlanti/Liddell in particular is much more open than I'd have thought.

The only thing that will piss alot of people off is that the two episodes which were aired widescreen, while presented widescreen, are presented non-anamorphic.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

Ha, absolutely pathetic job by Warner. Just goes to prove the source was bogus. If the "source" knew of the original HD broadcasts they would have had those "two" episodes" in anamorphic WS set to go in minutes.

Troy EB

Grip
Does anyone know if "Everwood" will contain the original songs and music in each episode or will it be replaced with generic music?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Atleast the pilot had the original music, so I'm assuming the rest of the show does too. In fact, the use of Cat Stevens during the only sweep over the Rockies in the pilot was commented on specifically in the commentary; before Warner Bros told Berlanti he needed a shorter credits sequence that song was going to be the theme song.

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
Glad to hear that someone else is interested in this.

The local TV networks in Australia have shown some episodes of the first season but inevitably show things out of sequence and at odd times. I've given up on them and am just waiting for the DVD's now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.